Video Files on Forum ×

PX-5S: Noise on left (mono) line-out jack. Clean output on right.

pjchandonnet

Anyone experience noise coming from the left (mono) line-out jack of the PX-5S ?    Sounds like a ground hum.  Always there, regardless of what room/location I'm in so I don't think it has anything to do with the power connection.   This is not related to the known USB ground loop problem either... since I get this even with no USB connected.   Frustrating since I need a mono out.   The right line-out jack has no noise, only the left (mono).    Nothing else is connected except for a foot pedal and power.

I have it connected to a Focusrite interface that goes to two powered monitors..   Doesn't matter if a computer is actually connected to the interface...   I hear noise only when outputting from the Left line-out.  If I switch the cable simply to the right line-out the noise goes away.   I haven't tried plugging-in headphones to the Line-out...  I'll experiment with headphones later today or tomorrow...

Look at the 1/4" plug (male connector). Try a 1/4" with a different shape if you have one. Since the left is summing both left and right signals for mono (I guess),  there could be something in the way the plug contacts the jack inside. Might sound silly, but I have a sustain pedal that will not work with one of my PX's and will with the others becaue (I deduced) of the shape of the 1/4" mono connector which looks slightly different compared to my other pedals.  Still not sure how that works, but my other sustain pedals work, and I noticed there just a slight change in the shape of the tip. And the sleeve might be slightly diferent- not deep enough, or too deep when inserted which can interfere with the contacts between the lseeve and tip connectors inside he jack. Or could be a hairball stuck in the jack (only kidding I am Jokeyman).

Ahhhhh! Another fan! I seriously have to keep my keys covered in the house or 3 cats will crawl all over them-I have seen the pawprints. 4 cats if you count Bill. He uses his feet-too much drinking from the toilet bowl crippled his hands a bit. Not sure why. I think the toilet lid did it but he ain't talking....

Bill's PX560.jpg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jokeyman123 said:

Ahhhhh! Another fan! I seriously have to keep my keys covered in the house or 3 cats will crawl all over them-I have seen the pawprints

I have solved this simply with some scrap cloth bought in an open air market and a spare tablecloth. If you don't mind that one is a dark red velevet cloth with a fake medieval pattern and latin phrases written in fraktur and the other is a red and white cloth wit tiny flowers, works flawlessly.

I think that the main use of a cloth is blocking dirt to enter in the keyboard, because it will make the keyboard act strange, like in this case. A buzzing sound could be easily generated by a missing ground contact caused by some speckle or other dirt. If the amplifier has an high input impedance you can add a capacitor in series, but most of the audio signal or the video signal will pass, but without DC coupling noise is caught by the wire.

About the photo...

I will not make any jokes about Cat Power and Cat Stevens, promise!

My wife and I have 3 cats ourselves.  We always keep a water resistant cover over the Yamaha keyboard we keep in the house.  So far so good.  As far as my Casio and other more professional music equipment, I keep that in a separate little heated shed (my "man-cave"), so this problem wasn't due to our furry children.   :)     No, somehow something got into that jack while lugging the keyboard back and forth for practicing with other band members.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2018 at 10:26 PM, pjchandonnet said:

Thank guys for the suggestions.   It turned out to be an easy fix...    Even though nothing was visibly inside the jack I gave it a good burst of compressed air and that seems to have taken care of the problem.    

On 11/28/2018 at 10:26 PM, pjchandonnet said:

Thank guys for the suggestions.   It turned out to be an easy fix...    Even though nothing was visibly inside the jack I gave it a good burst of compressed air and that seems to have taken care of the problem.    

I have the same exact problem. I have tried all sorts of connections from direct out to self powered monitor(s) to a (passively) D.I.ed balanced line.

I have noticed also a squeaky digital noise when scrolling through any content in the data editor as the page refreshes. Always only from the left (mono) output

• 4 years later...