Video Files on Forum ×

Lower-End Privias

Tom Williams

I'm a happy owner of a PX-5S, which fits me well because I love synth and MIDI tweaking, in addition to an piano which, on its own, inspires me daily. 

A buddy of mine is looking for a piano like the PX-5S, with the constraints that he can't afford a lot of money -- around the $500 US range -and he would rather have speakers than a highly programmable synth.  He loves the weighted / textured keys as well.  If money weren't an object I would tall him without reservation to go with the PX-560.

So, those of you with experience in the lower Privia / PX range:  how do you feel about the -160, -360, or other weighted Casios that I haven't thought about?

I have no experience with the PX160, but regularly play the older PX350 which is the model previous to the PX360-which is a step up from the 350 with a beautiful viewing screen and probably alot easier to work around. Even though I have the PX560 now as well, the 350 sounds as fantastic as the 560 piano sounds, organ, ep's, drums-it's all there. I would the think the 360 is every bit as good and better-very similar to the 560 with a little less complexity in terms of programming new sounds and a few less features that you may not need depending on how you will use it of course. I think the PX160 will also have a very similar sound and feel to all of these-I think the PX160 has the same action and sound samples as the 360 and the 560. Can't go wrong IMO whatever you choose. And if money is a concern, you might find a good dealer deal on the older 350 since I do not believe Casio is manufacturing these anymore-an excellent digital piano in it's own right. Look up pianomanchuck on Youtube-he has the best (IMO) video demos for the all the newer Privias PX's.

360 and 560 will go above $500 even with all discounts.

With PX160 he will be able to add a stand, triple pedal unit and a bench.

Remember PX 160 does not have MIDI DIN, only USB-MIDI.

There is no USB-Audio as well.

I would recommend trying a few other brands like Kawai ES 110 (entry level for Kawai) it is a little bit over the budget

or Korg B1 88  (fits the budget well)

In additional just recalled there is Yamaha P-71 Amazon-exclusive deal that would be an interesting competitor for PX-160.

I used to play a PX-160 (and prior versions).  I always noticed, when I plugged into an amp the low frequencies were too loud.

I recently switched to a PX350 and the problem appears to be gone.

Anyone else notice this?

Jeff

Edited by jeffn1
correct my error