Video Files on Forum ×

Sine wave and saw pad with ring modulation

ThePianist

Hi, A while ago, I saw a demo video from Nord stage 3 where they use a sine wave with expression pedal + saw pad with ring modulation  (at the end of the video).

I wonder  if it is possible to play something very similar on the casio px5s? I bought the px5s not so long ago and I don't know where to begin (and if it's even possible)?

It would be very nice ...

Here is the video:  https://youtu.be/tVBKto6Cfqo?t=683

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

I'll bet it can get pretty close.  We have a ring modulator DSP effect and the hex layer synth for putting it together with the square and saw waves.  Only thing we don't have is the expression pedal input and a really fast LFO rate.  We can adjust the reverb to taste and add piano.  Seems like a fun project.  If I get some time, I'll try it myself. 

• Like 2

Oh this is totally possible as of late the ring modulator is on my inspection list and truly how Casio implemented this DSP effect for finer tuning gives exactly this kind of vibe.

Expression can be left out just assign cc#19 I guest to the pedal or DSP param something to the sliders or wheels. I'm working on custom sound set where ring modulation gets it's highlight on bell like sounds.

• Like 1

Easy on the PX560-should be similar to the MZ-X. I will upload my ring modulated piano-it's so easy I didn't want to bother and never tried an expression pedal to vary it's intensity (send effect) or modulation. Like Brad said, with a 2nd sound (upper 2 on the PX) can create some very nice edges to sounds which already can have an edge-nice with saw and pulse waves, even without a hex layer.

Jan Hammer used the ring modulator (then a separate control box-I made one years back) attached to his piano-I forgot what he played have to look it up. Robbie, my keyboard guy years ago used one on his Hammond (not recommended we cleared a club out once because he got carried away with his Keith Emerson impersonation-and through 2 Leslies almost made my ears bleed oh to be young again!) :boring:

It became Jan's signature sound with the Mahavishnu Orchestra. Very nice "atonal" effect.

• Like 1

Thanks for the fast replies, I really appreciate it. I know how to make  hextones and hexlayers (I watched some videos online from Mike Martin)  but I never made one and  I don't  know how to make nice ambient synth sounds like in the video from Nord, there are so many settings and  I simply don't know what they all do.  

13 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

I had forgotten I did this-I uploaded a grand piano tone with the DSP set to ring modulator in the PX560 file area just to demonstrate-not hard to do. Not a hex layer and it is for the PX560, not the 5s.

I thought so ;) but probably pretty much the same between these 2.

I feel like boasting how I partially did it. So yes I've partially did it, still have to solve 3 sound design issue but I think I'm close to make it sound clean and less muddy. I'm doing things with the PX5S that blows my mind.

Some of these issue round up in controller programming balancing value's , arpeggio and synthesis.

I'm not gonna lie it's really start ugly, getting familiar with the PX5S solves somethings. But boy what I've done is enjoyable.

• Like 3

On 12/30/2018 at 11:44 PM, XW-Addict said:

I feel like boasting how I partially did it. So yes I've partially did it, still have to solve 3 sound design issue but I think I'm close to make it sound clean and less muddy. I'm doing things with the PX5S that blows my mind.

Some of these issue round up in controller programming balancing value's , arpeggio and synthesis.

I'm not gonna lie it's really start ugly, getting familiar with the PX5S solves somethings. But boy what I've done is enjoyable.

Cool! Are you going to post it in the download section when it is finished? I'm very curious about it. 

• Like 1

Yes with a few stage performances I've worked on. I could do it now but the way it sounds doesnt do it right I'm working on the part to make the sound swell and pan. On the the XW I could do it with dist-tremolo and cc19 but on the PX5S the same thing sounds very short and less swell.

That part but I'm also doing conversions and they sound so fun that their distracting me doing regular stage patches 😆 . I'm in a pickle wanting to make it right but these few steps needs different ideas to finalize it. I'm almost there might be tommorow. 

• Like 1

Ive went through it and redo the whole thing. A static sine is being build using hexlayers and keytracking somehow.

CC19 I've assigned to modulation with second assign to cutoff. Tremolo is needed combined with a bit of distortion this is for drawbar organ. 

But then I realized to divide the organ with static sine hex and add drawbar organ with tremolo while doing an separate drawbar organ with distortion on another zone to layer with the hex.

So far so good but I cant get the same sweep like on the the XW. I've added a bit of LFO to the static sine / drawbar organ hexlayers and the separate drawbar organ but then it gets quircky.

So I'm in a pickle 😚.

• Thanks 1

I've taken a stab at it. I'm pretty close.  The issue I'm trying to solve is being able to freely bend the sine layer. It can be done with the pitch bend wheel but that isn't ideal.  Our ring modulator doesn't quite settle either. Even with LFO speed set to 0 it is still moving more than is ideal.  More on this tomorrow. ;)

• Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 12:54 AM, Mike Martin said:

I've taken a stab at it. I'm pretty close.  The issue I'm trying to solve is being able to freely bend the sine layer. It can be done with the pitch bend wheel but that isn't ideal.  Our ring modulator doesn't quite settle either. Even with LFO speed set to 0 it is still moving more than is ideal.  More on this tomorrow. ;)

Mike Martin! Always happy to see your videos online.

Do you have already a solution for it?  I'm looking forward to it!

• 3 months later...