Video Files on Forum ×

Fun with pedals

MidiMatt

I spent some evenings to figure out perfect pedal config for my PX-560 and wanted to share and certainly like to hear your opinions what you use, like or not like. Maybe I went to far 🙂, but I'm fully happy now...

So here how it looks like at the end :

IMG_4268.jpg.6358c00c2097dd93b0b8725b345f1817.jpg

From left to right:

1. Casio SP-20 switch for "Soft" via SP-33 bottom port

2. Casio SP-20 Switch for "Sostenuto" via SP-33 bottom port

3. Roland DP-10 in continous mode for continous "Damper" via SP-33 bottom port

4. Roland EV-5 continous for selectable expression functions via Assignable Pedal port at the back

So I bought first the EV-5 which was straight forward as also suggest in the Casio manual to be used with assignable pedal port. Furthermore I bought a Casio SP-33 (3 pedal control) relatively cheap while knowing that you actually need the wooden rack for that to install, but I don't like this rack and don't own it. So my plan was first to take the SP-33 and put the inner workings in a self-made box. But I was not really comfortable with look and and the relatively short pedals. So I decided to do a bit of reverse engineering how the SP-33 works actually and figured out the pin layout of the bottom pedal connector:

IMG_4310.jpg.3a3a50863fd799fb51df288a174af1e1.jpg

I will not share details directly (only of admin allows). But generally you have common ground, soft and sostenuto switch pin. And two pins similar to assignable pedal for damper voltage divider. My plan was first to use 3x Roland DP-10 which has a switch were you can select switch or continuous (10k potentiometer). So for continous damper that works fine despite the SP-33 resistance is lower and doesnt use the full potentiometer range. But it seems luckily that the PX-560 has routine which is adjusting the range to get midi values from 0x00 to 0x7F also at the SP-33 port. 

For the soft and sostenuto I was not so lucky, as Roland uses switches in alternated polarity (pressed is open). The pedal back ports of PX-560 can handle that to adjust automatically but the SP-33 bottom port unfortunately can't. So I opened the DP-10 with the hope the switch is in a way that function can be altered, but unfortunately it is a switch with only 2 connectors which is on default closed. So I finally gave up, returned two DP-10 and got two Casio SP-20 which are okay.

To connect finally the 3 pedals to the SP-33 bottom port I used a small aluminium box and built 3 female 6,3 mm connectors in, de-soldered the SP-33 cable from the SP-33 main unit. That's how it looks like:

IMG_4269.jpg.782bc63320c7f0c48395566f50548113.jpgIMG_4273.jpg.2924e924961801f3ef46d607e233d5fb.jpg

So the box has nothing init, "just" the connect from the SP-33 cable to the female 6,3 mm connectors. You could basically also solder just a cable without box, but I found it more professional looking that way. I hope I could inspire a bit for the folks out there which dare to solder a cable or build a box. Be aware if you go down that road always keep in mind that you do it on own risk. And certainly would be cool if Casio could pick up the idea to have a solution for users which don't want the wooden rack but still want to have all three pedals in a nice format with continous damper function.

• Like 2

Your timing is good for me to add some new information.  Casio is currently in the process of releasing new digital piano models.  To go along with those, they have a new 3 pedal unit.  The new model is SP-34.  It has a new proprietary connection and works as a standalone pedal without the stand.  I don't know any details beyond that.  

casio-sp-34-sustain-pedal.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Brad, thats interesting... but I just bought the PX-560 😉

I have one more other question to all regarding the CASIO SP-20 pedal. Because there is one thing I really dont like about it. If you use on carpet or soft underground it will always sinks in a bit on front and move a bit due to an area which is not filled with the rubber part:

IMG_4312.jpg.1e78a322c4ec8ab28fb0d95968245ea4.jpg

It looks like you can attach something to (a leading cylinder in the middle and two mechanical plug in connectors ???). Is there something available , or something to put several SP-20 mechnically together. Anybody an idea why it is designed that way ?

Nice project and lots of great information in this thread. Thanks Matt (and Brad). 

PS. I would be willing to bet that the SP-34 would connect and operate correctly with a PX-560 with just a passive cable adapter. Anyone want to buy one when they are released to find out? I don't have a need yet for three pedals or I would be tempted. It looks like the pedals are no longer than those on the SP-33 but at least it will sit on the floor properly. (Mind you, I do have my PX-560 on Casio's stand, so I could have already bought the SP-33.)

One more addition for your pedal experimenting, there are three means I used while experimenting to check proper working, config and midi range values of the pedals:

A MIDI-OX tool on Windows PC (while USB MIDI connecting)

B Midi Wrench in iPad / IOS (while USB MIDI connecting)

C There is also test menu in Service Menu mode (if you know how to access, can't share that here how to access for obvious reasons)

• 4 months later...
On 1/20/2019 at 1:50 AM, AlenK said:

[...] 

PS. I would be willing to bet that the SP-34 would connect and operate correctly with a PX-560 with just a passive cable adapter. Anyone want to buy one when they are released to find out? I don't have a need yet for three pedals or I would be tempted. It looks like the pedals are no longer than those on the SP-33 but at least it will sit on the floor properly. (Mind you, I do have my PX-560 on Casio's stand, so I could have already bought the SP-33.)

Yes, an adapter cable with a female connector for the proprietary plug of the SP-34 on the one side and a proprietary plug to connect to the PX-560 (like the plug of the SP-33) on the other side would be nice. Like this we could connect the SP-34 to the PX-560 to get half-dampening without having to own the furniture stand. 

Come on, Casio, can't you offer this as a small accessory, please! 😁 This would increase the value of the PX-560 even more. I am considering buying one, after having looked at the (newer) PX-S series first. I see the PX-560 as superior to the new models, although the PX-560 is older. The only drawback for me is the current 3-pedal solution. 

So the SP-34 connector is not the same as the SP-33? I've made my px560 its own wood stand, looks just like the Casio-I'm sure with a little work, i can retrofit the SP33 across it, doesn't look too difficult. and yes, it would be nice to be able to have an adapter that allows use of the sp-34 with the 560.

From all the pictures of the pianos and pedals I've seen, the SP-33 has a rectangle plug with five pins in one row in it, that can be be connected to the bottom of the PX-560.

The SP-34 however has a round plug with a bunch of pins in it, that can be connected to the back of (e.g.) PX-S3000. 

Here are pictures of the SP-33 connector and the port at the bottom of the PX-560:

15988_2.jpg  17_big.JPG

Here are pictures of the SP-34 connector and port (here on the back of the PX-S1000 - labeled "PEDAL UNIT" - looks like a 6-pin mini-DIN connector (as used with PS/2 PC keyboards):

13925491_800.jpg preview.jpg

Edited by Headhunter
Added pictures

• 2 months later...

Any news yet whether SP-33 and SP-34 are electrically the same? I'd rather get a SP-34 and crimp or splice a PX-560M 5-pin pedal plug onto its cable rather than buy another SP-33 and having to figure out how to trim its crossbar in a way that lets me screw or zip-tie it to a universal keyboard stand such as our K&M 18800.

• 5 months later...

Does anyone checked and wrote down the connection pinouts of the mini-din from sp-34?

I own a cdp s350 and i’m going to try to make my own interface cable for 3 separate pedals to the pedal jack on the 350.

would help me a lot if a sp-34 owner can tell which pedalfunction is connected to what pinnumber. The numbering of the male mini din is below.

image.thumb.jpeg.ade414fc914bd463f60bfcec6e2494ce.jpeg

• 8 months later...

We just bought the PX560 for my kid. But she need a 3 sustain pedal for her piano lesson. I believed in the first place that it would be easy to plug a such device on it... But now, I am reconsidering to send it back as only the SP-33 is  fitting to the pedal port and is now out-of-sale...

That's a pity as it was the perfect fit for my kid (good keyboard, tons of sounds, 16 tracks...). We will then replace it by a more standard piano (like S1000 or YDP...).

Before that, I would like to have your expertise on our situation, is there a 3 sustain pedals simple solution that could let us keep this keyboard ? Could you help us, please?

Thanks a lot!

On 5/23/2019 at 3:20 PM, Jokeyman123 said:

So the SP-34 connector is not the same as the SP-33? I've made my px560 its own wood stand, looks just like the Casio-I'm sure with a little work, i can retrofit the SP33 across it, doesn't look too difficult. and yes, it would be nice to be able to have an adapter that allows use of the sp-34 with the 560.

Hello Jokeyman, how are you ?

And did you performed the retrofit ? (I bought the SP-34 believing it was fitting to the PX560 in the first place...)

For now, I've decided to use a single sustain pedal with the PCX-560-since I have so much equipment under my 560-I have a small Line-6 leslie simulator pedal, a single sustain pedal, and expression pedal and 2 bluetooth bookshelf Insignia speakers under there-not much room for a 3-pedal unit-plus the expression pedal and Leslie pedal. But I also have a PX350-so I might still try the SP-33 mod if I can find one that isn't too expensive. I have a small woodshop-and could probably modify the SP33 crossbar easily to be a free-standing 3-pedal unit. I'll post if i do it.  I don't think the response of the SP-34 is exactly like the SP-33. I think Brad posted something about this already, I could be recalling this erroneously.

Thanks for your anwser. 

What is your advice regarding my upper question? I put it hereafter:

We just bought the PX560 for my kid. But she need a 3 sustain pedal for her piano lesson. I believed in the first place that it would be easy to plug a such device on it... But now, I am reconsidering to send it back as only the SP-33 is  fitting to the pedal port and is now out-of-sale...

That's a pity as it was the perfect fit for my kid (good keyboard, tons of sounds, 16 tracks...). We will then replace it by a more standard piano (like S1000 or YDP...).

Before that, I would like to have your expertise on our situation, is there a 3 sustain pedals simple solution that could let us keep this keyboard ? Could you help us, please?

Thanks a lot!

There you go...I always thought this structure lent itself well to customized uses, or no additional hardware-been wanting to buy one-but one thing holds me back-I'm a cheapskate! and i wanted to keep it freestanding since I use the PX350 and 560 in separate areas, with and without the Casio stand and my own Deltex and A-frames.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I've got a px-360 and cannot find a sp-33 pedal unit as it's discontinued.  Your solution looks good, but can you explain the wiring in more detail?  Do you get the same basic functionality as the sp-33?  I want to either do as you've done with 3 separate pedals, or buy an sp-34 and make an adapter for that.  I'm just unsure of how to wire the connectors.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in Canada.  I cannot find the sp-33 anywhere here.  Ordering from that link would cost around $150 + taxes and duties so at least $200.  The OP solution looks more affordable and easier to get.  I just need to know how to wire it properly.  I've heard the sp-34 can also be used if I make an adapter, but again I need to know how to wire it as nobody has shared the details.

It's unfortunate that Casio would put px-360 owners in this position.  If the only way to get proper 3 pedal use with half damper is to use sp-33 then they need to produce some more.  If adapters are necessary to use other pedals then they should make an adapter.  It's frustrating to have this keyboard and not be able to fully use it due to the pedals being discontinued.

Can anyone share details of how to wire the solution shown in OP or how to wire an adapter to use the sp-34?