Video Files on Forum ×

PX-160 Cannot track rapid repetitive single notes

Suhndog

When I play rapid, repetitive single notes, the piano cannot track all of them. Instead, I get a few notes, and then just sustain [not using the Damper pedal].

Is this a limitation of the PX-160?

I thought I could play fast repetitive single notes since the PX-160 has that 'Tri-Sensor...

Why can't I do it?      [See attached video --  the problem is more evident when I change to playing the second note]

From my own experience, this is a common problem in digital pianos. Even the "tri-sensor" mechanisms cannot react as quickly and smoothly as real acoustic pianos. That said, some models are better than others. I used to have a Roland RD-700GX, which had a good action but not three sensors, and this problem was painfully evident. Then I purchased the (seriously heavy) Kawai VPC-1 I currently use for playing piano, and which is by far the best keyboard action I've ever played in a digital instrument, but despite having three sensors, it misses notes sometimes in fast  repeatings. I think that no manufacturer has reached the "ultimate" piano action yet.

• Like 1

Definitely agree-a different technique required on digital pianos, I would guess because some acoustics-the hammer is pretty lightweight since the escapement mechanism can place a bit more leverage more efficiently so can be a bit more sensitive to rapid repeated notes-again i am just guessing and have played all kinds of pianos-some acoustics aren't too responsive either. I am thinking that the simple single-action fulcrum arm on most digital pianos (I see some of the newest console digital are now more closely resembling the more complex acoustic mechanism) requires a different approach to technique since the throw on the fulcrum arm is shorter-less momentum in the swing-so makes playing repeated notes feel slightly different. Studying diagrams, and practicing a few classical pieces requiring a short rapid repeated passages-Valse Brilliante" in Eb Major by Chopin comes to mind-I can do it, but if I had to switch from an acoustic grand to a digital for the same piece, I would definitely have to adjust my technique.  Too bad i don't have one my "old-school" classical teachers to give me their opinion-not sure what they would have made of these new digitals, probably not too favorable!

• Like 1

I am not an accomplished, studied pianist..  However, I do play all keyboards, and my main instruments are organs.

I was very impressed with all the reviews and videos I read and watched for the PX-160.

Since I live way out in the Arizona desert, there are no stores here except a market and a Dollar General [our 'Mall' LOL]..

So when I bought my PX-160, I had no way to try it first.  I took a bit of a chance, but I was so impressed with what I could see/hear, I felt pretty much confident I was getting a good piano.

I was thrilled when I played it!  Now, I also am a stickler for quality and functionality. I wanted to make sure my piano did precisely what it was supposed to do.

As such, I investigated all the features. My first 'puzzle' was that I thought it odd that Casio didn't apply a goodly amount of reverb dedicated to their Grand Piano sound.

I thought at first this was a fault with my piano. After I researched this, it turned out that Casio designed it that way.

I like to play at times more ambient pieces, and I like a LOT of reverb. I don't want to use the 'Modern' piano sound.. that does have some reverb.

I then purchased a reverb unit for the Casio. 

Then, I noticed the issue I posted here.. regarding the ineffective single-note rapid repeat 'problem'.  I do want to thank you for your very helpful info here!

I'm glad it's not a fault with my piano.  Frankly, I rarely would ever play quickly repeated single notes.. BUT I needed to make sure that my new piano was functioning properly.

If I may take a detour, I cannot hear ANY difference between using the damper sound On/Off..   Is this an afterthought, or?? 

Have you noticed this as well?   It doesn't seem to do anything.  [again, I want to make sure my piano is 'Ok']..

That could explain it.  The 3 pedal unit is a variable pedal rather than a simple on/off switch like standard pedals.  I haven't tested it so this is just a hunch, but the damper noise level might get louder the faster you depress the pedal and softer the slower you depress it.  Try that and let me know what happens.  

• Like 1

Ok..

Yes, I can indeed hear a 'noise'  on all of the piano sounds selected..

In order to hear it at all, I had to turn the volume ALL the way up with headphones.

Also, the effect's volume is proportional to how hard to press the Damper pedal.

Still, the sound - when you can even hear it as mentioned - sounds like a sort of filtered white noise..  Thankfully, it's best that it is very subtle! 

My guess is that [in a good way..], Casio was going for authenticity, and not novelty.  Nice!

• Like 1

I am so happy with my PX-160!!!!   I really love how much it is like a real piano!

I just saw the info on the new Privia's..   They're nice, but frankly, I prefer having my PX-160 because I favor having a more substantial cabinet, rather than the minimalist approach the new Privia's have.  I feel I have MORE of a piano.  [I also have the stand and 3-pedal unit].

It would be cool if Casio would create some of those baby grand empty piano shells that could accommodate their Privia's..   along with upgraded internal amps and speakers options.

• Like 1