Video Files on Forum ×

Jacko

Jacko

I' m a bit confused, trying to get into the forum, so i hope this post gets submitted. I have a c d p 220r and have just downloaded Cakewalk sonar but cannot get it to work.I have set up the drivers for midi but when I  press start there is no sound from the piano and no thing recorded. Is there anybody on this form who is using sonar who could perhaps explain what I need to do to overcome this.?

Hi Jacko, welcome to the forums.  The CDP-220R is a USB MIDI class compliant keyboard.  You do not need to install drivers for it.  That is done automatically when you first connect the keyboard to the computer.  After that is complete, when you open Sonar, you should see Casio USB MIDI as a device in the MIDI devices menu.  Select that as your input and output.  That should get you going and allow you to record notes and play them back.  

Cakewalk Sonar would be the worst chose now:

https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360021858293-What-happened-to-Cakewalk-SONAR-What-happens-to-everything-I-paid-for-

You can get Studio One. Prime edition is free.

Ableton Live has 30 days trial. 

BitWig has a demo version (like 30 days).

The list of DAWs, is long but as far as I understand Cakewalk  Sonar is discontinued.

I have an account at BandLab.

It is very decent light version of DAW . (it is very easy to use) 

https://www.bandlab.com

To use it create an account at bandlab.com

Login to the website.

Click "Create " and "Let's Make Music", it starts Mix-Audio DAW. This DAW  runs in the internet browser.

Cakewalk Sonar is obsolete. (the original post is about "Cakewalk sonar")

Sonar runs a different line of products called Sonar (four editions).

It looks like BandLab uses Cakewalk core in their Mix-Audio.

Mix-Audio requires Chrome. Most likely due to WebMIDI API fully supported only by 3 browsers - Chrome, Opera, Android WebView.

So if you prefer MS Edge it will ask you to install Chome ;)

thanks guys for the replies. I should have mentioned that my cakewalk version is the band lab edition. i also would love to try the others, I downloaded Ableton and they said they would send my code via e mail which I never got so reluctantly had to give up on that one . I have Studio one on my laptop but like cakewalk i cant get it to work. I have got cakewalk to the point where when I play there is no sound but it records  in midi what I have played, so my problem is what am i doing wrong or what am I not doing to  have sound when I play and then to have what i play recorded in midi. 

• Like 1

On 6/21/2019 at 10:03 PM, Jacko said:

thanks guys for the replies. I should have mentioned that my cakewalk version is the band lab edition. i also would love to try the others, I downloaded Ableton and they said they would send my code via e mail which I never got so reluctantly had to give up on that one . I have Studio one on my laptop but like cakewalk i cant get it to work. I have got cakewalk to the point where when I play there is no sound but it records  in midi what I have played, so my problem is what am i doing wrong or what am I not doing to  have sound when I play and then to have what i play recorded in midi. 

You just need to assign to a track an output device. It can be  a virtual instrument that comes with DAW or MIDI device(such as PX).

For Ableton Live you do not need to wait for any e-mail

Check the reference below

https://www.ableton.com/en/trial/

Hi Jokeyman, I am a real ignoramus, I think P M stands for private message, but don"t know how to do that.But very curious to know how you could send me the whole  version by email.Just to recap the interface instructions shows the piano connection using midi cables, but the Casio does not have midi cables only usb. The salesman sold me a cable with 2 t s 1/4 plugs on one end and a sterio mini jack on the other and said I should plug this cable into the 2 sockets on the front of the interface and the mini jack into the headphone socket of the casio those sockets are marked mic. and instruments and that puzzles me. a number of guys have said I don"t need midi cables and so I am totally confused

PM means private message. You can do that by looking my profile here, and there will be  a setting to send me a private email message which I can respond to and attach a ".zip" compressed file that has the installation package for the software. But it won't make your life easier so I don't think that's what you need.

The salesman was describing how to connect the "audio" output of the CDP220 to the audio input of your computer, which is certainly the easiest way to record the CDP as you play it live-but you must have a computer audio recording program to do that such as something called "Audacity", I use Goldwave also-anything like those programs will record your audio output from the CDP to the computer, but will only record audio and save it as a computer ".wav" file if you are using a windows-based computer and now you can play whatever you recorded from the CDP in the computer through its speakers-I commonly use laptops which have audio inputs  matching your stereo mini jack used for the computer's input.

Now a "DAW" will record audio like this too-but you must make sure you have a track selected in the software as an "audio" track because a "DAW" can record and play back audio or midi data. Now onto midi data....

All you need is as Brad described-a simple USB computer cable such as used with printers or other computer USB devices-not micro usb like smartphones and tablets-the older style that has the squarish connector on one end, and the rectangular connector on the other. And as Brad said, with a Windows (or Apple I think) computer-the operating system should recognize when you plug in the cable and install the proper USB drivers to transmit and receive any USB data going back and forth. Now you will need that DAW again, but you must select a track as SS said that specifically is for recording and playing midi data-a DAW is designed to record either audio or midi data, or both and can play back the same way. Audio data will be saved as a "wav" file in the Windows world, midi data will be saved as a .mid also called "SMF" file in the computer world. The CDP saves internally the midi data as a CMS or similar Casio-named file, but I think it can save as a ."mid " but I'd have to study the manual.  

Now a simpler solution if you only want to record midi data to the computer-use a computer program that is a so-called midi "sequence recorder" program, and there are many. The oldest Cakewalk was originally designed like this. I currently use a strange-looking but very powerful and simple program called "Jazzware" which I can upload to you if you "PM" me.  Or a program like Anvil Studio-which is a DAW-can record both audio or midi data-is a little less daunting than some other software-the complexity is due to the huge number of options many of these programs give you. There are even simpler midi sequencer recorders for the computer, many freeware. Google midi software sequencer "freeware" and try out a few. Although I frequently record some more complex arrangements, I tend to go back to the simplest software-since ultimately, like "Word" for Windows, of the dozens of options available, I end up using only a half-dozen or so features in the software for editing, copying, re-arranging. Since both a wav recorder like Audacity, or a computer midi recorder like jazzware both allow for some pretty heavy editing features, I usually use one or the other depending on what I want to record.

One other detail-a true DAW, since it will record and save both mid data and audio data in separate tracks and then combine these together for playing back, usually call the combination a "project" with a different software label depending on the software.  Reaper, a very deep DAW, will do this but will also allow you to "import" and "extract" different tracks one at a time-either audio or midi data-and allows for editing using separate software programs for each track if you wish to do that although you can do all this through its one (pretty complex) software interface.

A long tutorial, but I assume nothing and fill in as much as I can. If you are just starting I hope this is helpful. If you know all this already, oh well!

:wall:

J thanks for that tutorial. I am still trying to get my head around all of it.After reading your reply I reconnected every thing and  going into audio, I was able to record and hear the playback so I"m getting somewhere at last but i am finding those controls so complicated.Still no luck with midi but I"ll keep trying.SS I forget to mention that the Ableton version I I downloaded is the Lite version which is free but needs a code to register which I can:t find anywhere. The reason I have downloaded all these different DAWs is to find the easiest  but the all look pretty complicated.  

There a workaround to record live(without a computer) using some recorder such as Tascam DP-006

You can use audio output from CDP  connected directly to the recorder.

After all the recording completed it can be mixed down to wav file.

Ableton Live is not free. It provides a 30 days trial period.

The authorization instruction are here:

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209773585-Authorizing-Live-9

There is an option to "Authorize later". I think that what you need to use during the trial period.

If  you did not create an account at ableton.com it make sense to create one.

You will be able to find an addition information about your options in your profile.

The easiest DAW would be bandlab.com