Video Files on Forum ×

Loud Amplifier Required

RFriedman

I am an intermediate level player,  playing in a loud New Orleans R&B band and lovin' every minute of it.  Except I can not get the guitar player to turn down.  I am running a PX--5S on piano settings only.  I run it through a JBL Eon 610 in parallel with a JBL Eon 10.  I  have been sticking with the JBL's because they are in my weight lifting range. I have the JBL's set at full volume and regulate the overall level on the keyboard.  I can not seem to find a way to set things up so that I can hear myself and be loud enough to be heard over the rest of the band.  When I turn things up, it just sounds terrible.  Somehow I have it in my mind that a bigger (12 inch) more powerful amplifier system will fix the problem.

I have tried things such as mounting one of the JBLs on a stand right by my ear so I can hear what I am doing.  I have tried using headphones to try to block out the rest of the band.  I just can't balance the decibels.  Since I play by ear, if I can't hear what I am playing then anything could be happening.

I would appreciate any suggestions except getting the guitar player to turn down.  that will never happen.

Incidentally the PX-5S is wasted on me.  I have no need for all the buttons, and if I press one by mistake I am lost until I reboot.  I would like a simpler keyboard with equivalent sound and feel

Edited by RFriedman
More information

You had a good idea trying to put the JBL's closer to your ears.  Which stage setting are you using? Have you tried adjusting EQ settings or downloading some of the piano stage settings from this site?  The PX-5S definitely isn't wasted on you. Simpler models won't have the sound shaping tools you need  in this situation.  I covered a much larger space with my PX-5S and just a single Alto TS-110A a few years ago, with the right EQ settings.  I think your JBL's could work fine too.  You don't need any low frequencies at all in that band, since your bass player and drums have pretty much taken over that sonic space.  I would use the PX-5S master EQ to cut the bass and mid bass, that would let you push the higher frequencies out better.  I'd want a really bright piano in that band, something the PX-5S is great at with some tweaks.  Most of the power in speakers gets chewed up by bass, so taking that out would really help the piano sound clear up, since piano is so bass heavy.  

My favourite set up is two Mackie Thumps 15". You get stereo and lots of volume. They are not too heavy and sound really good (much sweeter than the EONs IMHO). The 12“ version sounds good too and is smaller and lighter. 

Make sure it is the newer version of the Thumps as they are more powerful and sound sweeter. You can tell if they are the newer version because the input connector is the combined XLR/6.5mm type whereas the older version is XLR only. 

The PX5S is such a great keyboard. I would stick with it, but Casio do have some simpler models too. 

Edited by Reynard Foxe
Slight miscalculation

13 hours ago, RFriedman said:

playing in a loud New Orleans R&B band and lovin' every minute of it

What's the name of your band and where do you play? That place looks familiar but I've only been to NOLA a few times, in and out of a few places each time. It sounds like a fun band overall.

You might try in-ears instead of headphones, unless that's what you meant. In a pinch, I've used mine as monitors. There was enough bleed from the band that I didn't need an ambient mic or a mixer to hear them as well as my keyboard. I don't think going to 15" speakers will help you because that just means more bass and that's already covered like Brad says.

Another thing you can try is using the EQ settings on the PX-5S like Brad suggests.

Let us know how it goes!

• Like 1

How many watts are you pushing? Where is the bass player's amp? Guitar? I agree, keep bass frequencies out and stress midrange and highs, for everything. I used to play out with one huge 18" with 3 HF drivers on top, still was just enough with a 4-piece band. I only jacked up bass if I was doubling the bass player's line, or playing instead of it.  Now I use a 200-watt powered mixer with 2 10's with horn drivers, almost like a vocal mixer setup, and would use a powered smaller monitor just to hear myself play if I needed it. keyboard parts are very easily lost in any electric band. I often cut through everybody with the 18", and a 100 watt head (barely) but didn't even realize it until I heard from out front-I recorded the band with a helper on soundchecks so I could hear what was actually happening in the audience which helped me adjust although every venue is different unfortunately. Keep that bass and guitar either behind or alongside you if you can, it will help you hear the balance better, Positioning is critical IMO.