Video Files on Forum ×

Help XW P1 out of tune keys

izzy9mm

So I recently picked up the XW-P1 used from Guitar Center. The first thing I have noticed is that the Eb, E, F, and F# below middle C are really out of tune in the StreoGrPiano factory tone. Is this normal? I have reset it to factory settings and it is still the same. Is it just a poor sample? Is there a way I can fine tune each note?

You might try grabbing another performance that lights up the piano category,once there punch edit , in the parameters of the first zone ,drop down 1 to the tone select.Pull up the same tone and see if it is still out. I have a feeling not. Some of the bells and whistle settings in the performance  can cause this  ,I think it happened to me once

No , this is not normal behavior. I've  had no trouble like this, I've had mine for several years. Are you finding this problem in tone mode, performance mode  or sequence mode? Shouldn't be happening at all. Tom might be onto something.  In such a small range, must be some kind of software glitch. Like Tom said, try calling up different performances, try switching around between tone settings, sequences and performances. Maybe it will correct itself. And try removing all power including batteries, leave for 15 minutes and see if it clears itself.

There is no way to re-tune such a small range of notes in tone mode, unless one of the performances somehow has changed the pitches in one of the 4 performance zones although unless you do that, it should not happen by itself, and not in such a  small range of notes. Since this is used, someone else from Guitar Center might have made a setting in a  performance that could have caused this although if you are in tone mode, you should not be hearing anything like this. Might consider returning it to Guitar Center for a refund if you can't correct this fairly easily.  I would. Just my opinion. 

@Jokeyman123 @Tom banjo @Brad SaucierThanks for the replies guys! I'm getting it in all modes but it is only with the PCM tone StreoGrPiano. When I say out of tune I mean in Hz like 3-5 Hz. Not in semitones. I know it is minor but those notes just don't sound like they go with the rest of the sample. I changed over to the Rock Piano tone and the out of tune sound shifted to F, F#,G, and G# below middle C. I think it is the sample because the GM Pianos sound fine. I think they used different samples for parts of the keyboard. I will upload an audio sample to show you what I'm talking about.

I listened to both samples....several times, through my best monitor headset and monitor speakers. What are you using to listen to the XW? I do not hear anything unusual in either m4a.sample you've uploaded.  There is a very slight variation in each pitch which is a simulation of the piano strings harmonically resonating against each other-are supposed to be very slightly out of tune to create a richer sound which is the way an acoustic (good acoustic piano tuned properly) should sound. The GM pianos do not have this effect-are monophonic and will sound relatively dull compared to the Casio stereo sampled pianos since these lack this harmonic variation in pitch. Could be your recording is not picking up this out of tune effect as strongly as you hear it, it should be a very subtle, almost indistinguishable shift in pitch, and very slow. If each piano string for each individual note were exactly in tune to each other, these would cancel each other out-especially the low and mid-ranges. I know, I used to have to tune acoustic pianos myself, a brutal job even with the best strobe tuners. 

I hear nothing resembling a sitar or anything else but a rather realistic grand piano with both samples. When you play octaves using these notes, are the octaves sounding out of tune to each other?  That would be another way to check if these particular notes are out of tune in relation to the other keys. I hope Brad will weigh in too, maybe he will hear something I don't but my hearing is pretty good, for a drummer-and piano player! 

• Like 1

Honestly it could be just the harmonic variation overtones I am hearing. I haven't been around a real acoustic piano in a while so I can't compare and my previous keyboard was super cheap. I am playing it through some presonus studio monitors and I have some audio technica headphones as well. So the F below middle C is supposed to be slightly flatter than the F above middle C?

Are you listening to your keyboard in stereo with a pair of headphones?  Or summed to mono?  If these particular stereo samples are summed, they may have a slight chorus effect.  I hear a slight chorus when I play your examples through my phone's internal mono speaker.  The effect is not there at all when listening in stereo on headphones.  

@Brad Saucier Odd, when I hook up my headphones into the jack on the XW the notes sound fine. Is the jack stereo or mono? But now that you mention it, a slight chorus effect is what it sounds like. I think I figured it out. My studio monitors are hooked up to my audio interface and while it is true stereo, the line in jacks on the interface are not set to be stereo by default. So I was layering both mono signals on top of each other in each monitor.  Oops

• 2 months later...

I had the same issues with my Casio CT-X3000 where the a440 didn't match the tuning of songs I was trying to learn from my streaming music  service.  I would transcribe  sometimes poorly all the parts and try to rearrange them in Bandlab Cakewalk.  I had to find the control I wanted and then enter down several levels to fix it.  But that is the way you learn what your keyboard can do and use it in its entirety.