Video Files on Forum ×

Grand piano/Mellow piano

Timmy

Which Casio specifically? I play the PX350, and PX560 regularly. There is a difference in the tones labelled mellow vs. grand piano. Subtle, but listening carefully with good headsets, definitely not the same. Through built-in speaker system, not as noticeable. Both these tones I believe are based on the same set of piano samples, but with slightly different DSP effects built into the tones. If you are referencing the newest S1000/3000 I couldn't say, I don't own these,  but I would think these have similar grand piano samples used in the 350 and 560 based upon what I have monitored with online demos of the 2 newer S series pianos.

Could you post some wav or mp3 soundfiles?  Do you have an "enhancer" DSP effect you can use with the S3000? This might brighten the sound considerably. And how are you setting the equalization? I believe the S3000 can set eq settings "globally" but not sure.  Look on page EN-23 of the full user guide (not the starter/quick guide). This describes how to select a DSP and apply it to a tone. 

Thanks Jokeyman123

not up to speed with any adjustments am just a player, it’s strait out of the box. Purchased after excellent reviews of concert grand but finding it rather dull, on the other hand concert bright is excellent. 

Asked the question as not sure if board is faulty and wondered if anyone else has noticed this.

sorry do not have knowledge how to download files 

• 8 months later...

I would just like to pitch in and say that you are not the only one with this issue...

I just got the PX S3000 as well (today), and i have to say that i am in complete agreement with you on this. On mine also, the first Grand Piano sound sounds identical to mellow piano even after going back and forth between the 2 playing the exact same notes, and i too find that the first Grand Piano sound (and mellow piano too) sounds very dull and not very clear at all almost sounding somewhat muffled as if listening to it through a solid wall or from another room. For this reason it is unusable for me. I dont understand why it sounds like this as before purchasing it i watched many youtube videos and reviews and found myself impressed with the piano sound and was the reason i bought it. This issue is present both with the inbuilt speakers and headphones.

I hope this is a fault, because if not then i am very disappointed in the sound of the piano. Also dont know if you have this on yours but on mine there is a constant loud hiss through both headphone sockets even at lowest volume.

At the moment i am seriously considering returning it and getting a refund as i am that disappointed, mine sounds nothing like the numerous videos of this instrument.

@Gr3yWolfThe quality of your headphones can make a huge difference in the perceived sound quality of the keyboard.  Have you tried using another pair?  The sounds should not sound muffled or like it is in another room, and you should not hear a loud hiss through the headphone jacks.  I do not hear practically any hiss when using my headphones, and the piano sound quality is amazing.  I can get totally immersed for hours playing with my headphones.  For a normally working keyboard, I can assure you that the sound quality that you've heard on YouTube is accurate and true.

Regarding your recording, the volume is very low so I had to normalize it to hear it better.  The piano recording seems normal to me.  They sound very similar but that may be due to the volume you are playing while recording it.  If you play a dynamic and expressive song with each tone, you should hear a difference.  i can with mine.  You may also want to try adjusting the touch response to a lighter setting to see if your playing style matches that better (everyone is different).  I find for my playing style, a lighter touch setting allows me to be much more expressive.

If you are still hearing loud hissing through your headphone jacks, you may want to check your cables and connections to the keyboard to see if something else may be inducing the noise.  Otherwise, if you just bought it, you may want to see if you can swap it for another.  In my opinion, it is well worth the effort.

• Like 1

Hi kybdsammer

Thanks for the reply. I have three different heaphones; Sennheiser HD 555 and HD 650, and some new IEMs (In Ear Monitors) i just got. The hiss is louder with the IEMs but still there with the Senns. Yes i like the sound on the piano from what i heard on Youtube, and is what convinced me to go ahead and make the purchase, but in real life the piano (at least mine anyway) sounds muffled/bloated and unclear, almost boomy... not sure if im making any sense. Its almost as if there is an EQ issue where mids are treble is recessed leaving mostly bass.

Anyway regarding the recording volume, i had the instrument volume all the way up when recording the sample, not sure why it is low volume. I tried altering the touch response (took me a while to find it lol) to light, and i found that that just made it loader but didnt do much to improve things.

I was considering a swap if i am able, but wanted to see if there was something i could do to correct it before going to the hassle of returning it.

Thanks again for the reply

I hear a subtle difference between the two tones on the recording.  The second (I assume Mellow) is a bit muted compared to the first.  On my PX-S3000 the Grand, Bright, and Mellow are also only subtly different (the Bright more different than the Mellow), and I think that's the way they're supposed to be, but they are more different than what I'm hearing in your recording.  Hard to tell whether that's due to your PX-S3000 or the recording.  

Hi Bobbo

To me they sound practically identical. Maybe the issue is with the first piano 01 being dull sounding and that is why they sound the same, because surely the first grand piano sound should distinctly in between bright and mellow, but mine is the same as mellow, i wish it was in between as its supposed to be. As i said i recorded at max volume and even whilst playing i couldnt really notice a different between them.

Thanks for the reply

Ive been going through a lot of Youtube vids listening to the sound, and every time i hear the first piano sound i am literally saying to myself 'I wish mine sounded that good', im just not hearing that sound on the Youtube videos for this piano on my PX S3000, and the more i listen and then play mine, the more disappointed i am in the sound.

I am seriously considering contacting the store i bought it from and asking for a replacement, but i am worried that the replacement will sound the same. I just want it to sound like it does on the Youtube vids from Casio and others because it sounds really good and is the kind of piano sound i have been looking for for a long time.

Does anyone have any other suggestions that i can try, i feel at a loss at the moment.

Thanks

I really suggest trying some new AA batteries and disconnecting everything else except with and without headphones (your Sennheisers should be plenty good quality).  The reason is that way you can confirm the AC power source and cable are not the issue. Is there a store where you can get some or from a friend or is it just not available at all?

2 hours ago, kybdsammer said:

I really suggest trying some new AA batteries and disconnecting everything else except with and without headphones (your Sennheisers should be plenty good quality).  The reason is that way you can confirm the AC power source and cable are not the issue. Is there a store where you can get some or from a friend or is it just not available at all?

I will try to get some batteries if I Can and report back.

2 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

Are you listening to the YouTube demos with the same headphones?  Have you tried the bright piano preset?  How do the rhythms sound?  How does the built in demo song sound?  Have you tried the lightest touch response setting?  

Yes i am using the same headphones. The bright piano preset sounds brighter than the first preset for sure, though not sure how bright it is supposed to sound, i think the rock piano is much brighter if i recall (im away from the piano atm). Rhythms sound fine to me from what little i have tried of them, but then if everything on the system is equally skewed then im not sure it would sound off. Not tried the demo song, will get back to you when i have. Yes i have tried all the touch response settings but all they seem to do is make the notes louder or quieter.

Thanks for all the support from everyone thus far.