Video Files on Forum ×

PX560 key noise-or not

Jokeyman123

I just noticed something that will definitely quiet key noise-if you need to do that-on the PX560. And mine might not be typical of this model-I have had it apart and may not have put it back together quite right.

When the keys return after release I noticed a bit of a clunk, even though I had upgraded internal felt a bit to quiet the hammers on mine-I have very touchy hearing-my wife complains all the time-I'm like Shug on "Still Game" if you know the Scottish-produced comedy....I just noticed that the back of the keytops on the outside-on top of the keyboard by the blue felt strip that runs the length of the keys-do not touch the blue felt-there is a gap and this does not look right and I'm not sure what is causing this. When I add a tiny bit of extra felt at that point-it prevents the key from swinging all the way back and suddenly-no clunking on key return. I'm surprised I missed this all along, and I recall posts here where others have added extra spacers on the back of the keytops from the outside of the keyboard to quiet this sound. The difference is noticeable and can be fixed from the outside. One other thing I noticed-the black keys are quiet, only the white keys make this noise-and the space involved is tiny-about 1/16-1/32 of an inch can make all the difference. It almost seems to be that that the entire top panel above the keys is not sitting low enough to stop the keys from slapping back without this cushioning effect-from landing on the blue felt. Fix this and your keys will be much quieter if you are experiencing the same problem. Wish I could find some matching blue felt-time to Google.

• 1 month later...

We will try this asap...  This noise is really awful and I have spoken with Casio repair and they tell me I am the only one who has ever complained about this annoying noise. They tell me all the unit smake this sound. My response to them was, then all the unit need a recall to fix it.  

They are happy to have this keyboard on their shelf to sell at all, so they are just fine with this rattling rebounding sound...  So, you have noticed that this IS just a mechanical reaction to the way the keyboard is assembled.  Because it always makes this sound even when it's turned off , then  the keys are pressed. 

So, thank you so much for your post, that I have finally found and will try. 

There are so many good points to owning one of these 560's, but this is hard to ignore in the softer passages...  I agree with your wife. 100% 

Landofpar

• 4 years later...

Thanks for this forum -- very useful!  My apologies for the repeat comment; I was just lauding the Casio engineers.  If anyone has information about where to find spacers for the key tops that will help dampen the noise of the returning key, it would be much appreciated!  I recorded a solo piano album with a slightly tweaked acoustic piano sound, and most everyone listening has assumed it was an actual acoustic piano (thanks to the amazing engineers!).  The key noise has not been a problem for me, since I'm mostly wired to sound systems or digital recorders.  However, it would be nice to have quieter keys when I practice at home.

Edited by DanW
Wanted to rephrase