Video Files on Forum ×

WARNING: 'Yahoo Groups' is closing (deletes Casio forums)

The forum hoster "Yahoo Groups" is shutting down, so all their contents will be DELETED in december 2019. This will also affect many classic Casio keyboard forums with service manuals etc., including

casiocollectors (VERY important tech info & files)
digitalhorns
CZseries
CZsynth

Please make backups NOW. Grab what you can and run!

(Photos can not be directly downloaded with rightclicking in Firefox, so access them in the media(?) tab of page info.)

AFAIK Yahoo Groups will be replaced by a push mail service, because the company proclaims that modern users "want" that so. But IMO the real problem is that many classic forums lost their moderator and so got flooded with thousands of spam posting (typically p0rn). Although most spams are in the photos and files sections, each of them caused a text posting "A new file has been uploaded...", making also the discussion forum unusable, because these messages on top can be only skipped by scrolling down a dozen pages, which deters all new users and so dooms these forums to die. And instead of automatically removing only that spam (which can be easily done now by AI due to their repetative nature), Yahoo tended to erase the entire forum if anybody dared to complain there about spam. This pi55ed off all new serious users, so Yahoo Groups made no profit anymore and decided to shutdown everything.

The kill of Yahoo Groups will become a black day for the internet - a culturocide exterminating over a decade of collected precious public knowledge in the name of moneymaking. :.(

R.I.P.

• Sad 1

Just went through this with the Yamaha QY user group. The Yamaha QY moderator went over to something called groups.io or io.groups. Looks really good.  Don't think I have anything to worry about here. Thank you moderators for keeping this group so clear of spam and other disturbances/anomalies (the word of the day, keeps me awake).   

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Cyberyogi-this webpage explains the best description I have found for alternatives to posting old Yahoo group data. I am not a moderator for any of the groups I'd belonged to-and I have no idea what happened to many of the other groups, which had very good resources for files and information. I belonged to the Roland, Zoom, Korg and several others for information and files that were not available anywhere else. Unless the moderators on those other groups were smart enough to do what you did, I'm afraid much of this archived information is gone. too ad because what is old becomes new, especially with technology and helps prevent re-inventing the wheel so to speak.

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-save-and-migrate-your-yahoo-groups-data-before-i-1839172243

Sorry, the only keyboard groups I was member of were about Casio. And I did not export in any proprietary database format (convertible to groups.io???), but only HTML digests and some ASCII. But I downloaded all the files and photos including description text (page content as ASCII).

And I have no time to become moderator of any keyboard groups to reopen them. I only want to upload the stuff somewhere to fulfil my human right of culture preservation.

• 11 months later...

Sadly I stopped using yahoo ages ago since my wife, who I met on yahoo messenger, passed away and after years of mourning I saw no more reason to keep my yahoo account active. I used to have a Casio CZ users and Yamaha PSR and QY accounts. I think I may have talked to lanB about his CZ/CT6500 editor on THAT but I am unsure. It was in 2018 so yahoo groups WAS still active then.