Video Files on Forum ×

Casio CDP-220R & Windows 10

Hello all,

I've created an account and posted here after spending the last 6 hours searching Google and Microsoft with no success. I have a Casio CDP-220R and I was finally able to move it into my office where my Windows 10 PC is. I know in the past I briefly had it connected to a laptop running Windows XP (and possibly one running Windows 7) but for the life of me I can't get Windows 10 to recognize it. The error I'm getting is "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)", code 43.

According to everything I've read, my Casio is GM Level 1 class compliant, so there are no drivers to download for it and it should just work. I've seen some discussions regarding USB 2.0 vs. 3.0 ports but I believe I only have 3.0 ports on my computer (at least my Device Manager only reports USB 3.0 hub controllers in the list).

Everyone who posts this issue to Microsoft is told to reinstall or update the drivers (which of course does nothing because there are no drivers) or contact the manufacturer for updated drivers (which of course means nothing because class-compliant devices don't have any drivers at all).

I have tried every USB port on my computer, tried different cables, no dice.

I was wondering if anyone out there has had this problem with Windows 10 and knows of a workaround or solution?

Thank you so much for your time,

Clayton

Hi Clayton and welcome to the forums.  This might be a difficult one for us to solve.  It's more likely a PC issue than Casio issue.  You are correct that the CDP-220r is class compliant, however that does not mean it can work without a driver.  The driver is supplied by Microsoft and is a generic one for USB MIDI devices.  Your Casio is designed to work with that generic driver.  Have you tried opening device manager and uninstalling or updating "unkown usb device"?  Which MIDI software do you want to use with your Casio?  Can you try the CDP-220r with another computer to confirm everything is working correctly on that end?  

Hi Brad, thanks for the welcome and thanks for the fast reply.

I've taken so long to respond in kind because I went and dug up a Windows 7 machine and a Windows XP laptop and neither of them recognize my keyboard now despite me trying two different cables, so maybe it's a problem with the USB Type B port on the Casio, which would really suck.

Thanks again!

Last couple of things. Poor quality aftermarket USB cables have been known to cause these issues. Sometimes they will work with a printer fine, but fail when connected to other devices, especially musical instruments using USB MIDI. To rule this out, get hold of a quality USB cable, preferably one that had been proven to work with another USB MIDI instrument. By a process of elimination you will be able to isolate the issue.

Also, if you are using a USB hub, do not connect USB MIDI devices to this as they are know to cause problems with USB MIDI. Ensure you connect directly to one of the motherboard USB connectors.

• Like 1

I followed the steps in the video. No joy. As you can see from my attached screenshot I only have USB 3.0 hubs. I even tried forcing my USB Root Hub (3.0) to the Generic USB Hub driver but I got the same results.

I also did a factory reset of the piano (thinking my kids might have changed something over the past few years) but that had no effect either.

4 different cables (a couple of which were actively being used for other peripherals) gave me the save problem. I have a older Korg keyboard in storage I could go retrieve and try, but it has the REALLY old MIDI out ports so the best I could do is determine if the problem is my PC.

casio unknown device.png

• 5 months later...

You stated you only have USB 3.0 ports on your one computer? That will definitely not work. I have both usb 3.0 and 2.0 ports on a Lenovo i5 T520-most of my "legacy" equipment is not working when I connect to the USB 3.0 ports, only the 2.0 although I understood USB 3.0 is supposed to be "backwards compatible" with USB 2.0 devices-which I am guessing the Casio 220 is. However, since you've tried it with another XP Windows machine, that should work. I have a CDP230-I will check it out today, see what happens. But I am on Windows 7-I've steered clear of upgrading for precisely these kinds of problems. Many users have complained that Windows 10 is not recognizing older equipment, I'm not sure what is wrong. Sounds like Windows has not created a compatible built-in driver for music, not surprised.

I have a possible solution to try. Somewhere I have an older Casio midi driver that was designed for-wait for it-older keyboards and operating systems. I seemed to recall I needed to install this driver for one of my older Casios to get usb to work. I think the driver is still on the international Casio website-I'll look for it in my "computer archives" and upload it if I can find it, or Brad might be able to point you to it. I am almost certain this will still not work on a USB 3.0 port-but it should with Wndows XP or 7 with USB 2.0 ports. Repeating my experience-some older USB devices I've tried do not work with USB 3.0 ports, which need different drivers than USB 2.0. But then again, I've had some some USB 2.0 devices that didn't work with USB 2.0 ports, even with good cables. sigh...Windows. 

One other thought-you can't necessarily "see" if Windows is recognizing your keyboard, unless you try it with a music software program. all you will see is the appearance of an additional driver description in you device manager, as shown above. Keep device manager open as you connect your USB cable, then the keyboard-and see if it is installing a USB 2.00 "audio" driver-although this driver is not designed for audio-thanks again, Windows!-It is only for midi data. And repeating what Chas said, a USB hub will not work at all, Casio describes that somewhere on their webpage where the drivers are located for download. 

I think the driver you are talking about was for Windows XP computers and older casio boards like the WK 3000 and older series workstations.  The PX575 digital piano I used to own needed this driver. I think it was for 32 bit operating systems. When Windows 7 came out it would only work with 32 bit versions of Windows 7. Casio never supported 64 bit operating systems on these older boards as I recall.

Some Windows-10 USB problems have been traced to the BIOS.  Whoever wrote the BIOS for those particular devices apparently did not understand the differences between Windows-10 and previous versions, when it came to USB.  These are the units that every time there is a Windows-10 update, all of the USB Root Hubs on that machine get blown away.  This is/was a computer manufacturer problem, and explains why Windows-10 runs fine on some models and has no end of problems on other models, even within the same manufacturer's lines.  It all depends on who wrote the BIOS for that particular model.

Some early Windows-10 OEM (Mfr installed) builds were missing the USB-MIDI Class Compliant driver modules.  This was a Microsoft problem.  They distributed some OEM builds that did not include the Class Compliant driver modules.

Many (most ?) older keyboard USB ports have problems working with USB-3 computer ports.  We tend to assume that those keyboard ports are USB-2, because that is what our computer had in it when we bought that keyboard, when in fact, due to that 4 to 5 year computer vs. keyboard design differential those keyboard ports are actually USB-1.1, so it is a speed problem.  I suspect that USB-3 ports are only backward compatible to USB-2, so when you plug a USB-1.1 device into a USB-3 port, the USB-3 port slows down to USB-2, and you run into buffer overflow on the USB-1.1 device.

So T your are saying some of the older Casios may be using  USB 1.1 transfer protocols?  That would explain some of the computer transfer problems. How can you tell? I don't have any means of checking USB throughput as it is going in and out the Casio USB ports. I can do that to some extent with USB thumb drives/ SD/CF cards and diagnostic programs that will test throughput of the drive or card. I guess one would have to look at the startup dates for each USB protocol and compare with the dates a particular Casio was brought to market. Would be nice to be able to measure the throughput of USB ports in general-how these are specified might not be what is actually going in and out. There must be some software tool that can do that. even if i watch the download/upload speed as I transfer a file, how do I know if I am seeing the port speed, or the device speed? I'm probably missing something obvious.

Even with the best midi interface-as we've posted before, the Casio data managers sometimes seem to have glitches when transferring big packets of data-all files in particular don't always go completely through, depending on keyboard, software and of course the computer. Even an older, slower computers should not be the bottleneck, but the USB ports could be.

Ian I think you are right.The entire concept of USB was such a mish-mash, to this day certain micro-and min USB cables may or may not work on one device (tablet/phone) or another, even though the "standard" for pinouts is supposed to be identical depending on which version of USB you are working with. For example, i have 2 seemingly identical (older) multicard readers-one will absolutely not be recognized by anything but Windows XP-Windows 7 does not recognize it! And the other-is just the opposite...! And both are using the older min-USB connectors, sounds crazy but there it is. and whenever I charge a phone or tablet-I have to go through a handful of micro-usb cables to see which one works, and which one doesn't. Blame the Chinese manufacturers? Maybe, maybe not.