Video Files on Forum ×

PX-5S frozen on some screen. Help!

meestaleviz

Hello everyone. First time poster here. 

I have a PX-5S that I just turned on for the first time in a few months, and it seems like it's stuck on a screen, maybe one of the screens that pops up when you move the sliders on the left?  Or maybe it looks like one of the buttons may be stuck in depressed mode or something because the screen keeps flickering back and forth between two settings like the button is depressed and it's fighting it. Hard to explain. Please see the pictures below and also a short video that shows how the number in the top right is flickering between two setting. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Meestaleviz

1.jpg

2.jpg

I've had an issue with my slider #4 being over-sensitive for years. It's almost as if it's in between two detection contacts (or however that works) and can't decide exactly what position it's in. That screen appears when you move a slider and disappears moments after the slider stops so it looks like you might be having the same issue I have.

I wish I could offer more help, I haven't yet tried cleaning the pot on my slider to see if it helps. Need to get to that one of these days.

Ivan

If you move slider 5 around, does that number change at all? (Instead of jumping around at 124-5, does it jump around at different numbers?) Maybe someone could tell you something more, knowing that.

Just a suggestion, someone stop me if I'm on the wrong track, but could a plastics-safe contact cleaner/lubricant be used on the sliders? Maybe something got into them. If it worked, it would be a cheap fix.

• Like 1

BIt if an update. I’ve discovered that if I press down on the K3 knob the screen goes away...but I have to press pretty hard and when I stop pressing the screen comes back. I’m thinking I’m going to have to have this repaired somewhere. Anyone know who I could send this to?

I can still play the keyboard but there’s a ton of reverb. Anyone know how to turn off the reverb?

see video 

There are my posts about the PX350 and a others here-with photos showing how to disassemble the PX350-very similar in construction to the 5s. I recall somewhere on the web-someone posted a parts disassembly specifically for their PX5s, when they wanted to do a custom paint job. Google that if you can. I can't seem to find it. 

Here's my post-did quite awhile ago for different reasons.

I have one other suspicion-might or might not work. I have repaired several Korg microkontrol sliders and discovered something which illustrated why these slide pots were intermittent. I disassembled a slide pot (a 10K) to study-and surprise-found a chunk of dust which managed to get inside-that's right-inside the wipers in the slide pot which are tiny wires which rub against carbon traces. No matter how i cleaned the slide pots from above, I was not getting this bit of junk out, didn't even think of it since it was in under the open slot above. Once I got that out, perfecto. If you can get some compressed air with a very thin nozzle-you might try getting that inside the pot, and try to see if there is junk in this same spot-doesn't take much to stop a slide pot from working. I'd show a diagram, but i don't have one handy. This could be a repair without disassembly. The other malfunction could be a cracked solder joint at the solder points for the slider, and sometimes a ribbon cable could slip loose a bit-which might be the case with the knob controller.