Video Files on Forum ×

How to control the px5s with an Ipad

SongBook works in a similar fashion, and forScore lets you send midi commands too. You need to connect your iPad to the PX5S with an Apple camera adapter and a USB cable. Then find the place in your app where you can send midi commands. In Songbook there is a tag that you embed in a song that has the form:

{midi: CC112.36@mm,PCnn@mm}

This sends Stage Setting change nn on channel mm, where nn is 00 to 99.

in forScore you can either send a midi command when a score is opened, or create a button in a score which sends the midi command when pressed. The fields are:

Channel - the channel that your keyboard listens to for sysex

MSB - 112

LSB - 36

Program change - the stage setting number you want to select (00 through 99)

In Set List Maker, Bank MSB is always 112 and Bank LSB is always 0. At least that's what works for me.

I've been using Set List Maker live for years and it's really nice to have the PX ready to go as soon as I select a song! Highly recommend and if you need any help with setting it up, we're here.

Ivan

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Ivan for the parameters you gave. It works for me. I mean I can see the flow of midi instructions coming from my PX-5S on my iPad screen. That is a first step.

What I do'nt understand is what happens next : how can we send a stage setting to the PX-5S ? Every stage setting is defined by a number. Where do you type this number in SLM ?

(Sorry if my english syntax is sometimes strange : I live in France and do my best to be understood 😉

In Set List Maker, go to "MIDI Presets" and hit the "+" button. It will give you a window where you will name the preset (I name mine after the number and the name of the Stage Setting) and then you need to fill out the "Program Changes" fields. The first window is always 112, the second window is always 0, and in the third window you enter the two digits of your Stage Setting. For instance, in the screenshot that I've attached, the MIDI preset is for Stage Setting 2-8 which is named "SoakUpTheSun". So I have entered "28" in the third field.

After setting up your MIDI Presets, you need to assign a MIDI preset to each song in your set list. To do this, select a song in your set list and hit the "edit" button in the lower left corner (it looks like a pencil). Scroll down to where it says "MIDI Presets" in the Edit window and hit the "+" button next to "Add MIDI Presets". It will pop up a window with a list of your MIDI Presets and you can select one.

Now, when you select a song, it should automatically switch your PX to the Stage Setting that you have assigned. If it does not, please post here and let us know because there are some other settings that might not be set correctly. But if my memory serves me right then this should work with the default settings. Also feel free to ask more questions as needed!

Ivan

IMG_2253.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much craZivn for your help. I am very grateful to you.

I have followed your instructions, step by step and I am on a good way but I don't get the expected results.

Meanwhile, I have followed Mike Martin's last webinar and I am very grateful to him too for all the explanations he gave to us.

What I did :

- Connexion between PX-5S and my iPhone 11 : OK

- flow of instructions between PX-5S and iPhone : OK (I receive many lines in the Activity Log on the "Midi Status" screen.)

- Midi presets : OK with the good values in Bank MSB, Bank LSB and good numbers for the Program zone : 28 = Stage setting 2-8

- Songs : I have linked  a midi preset for each song

- Show : I organized my 2 songs with the 2 presets in a Show

- When I am on the "Show" screen, I choose "View by Lyrics"

- Then, I see the list of songs and I can switch from one song to the other

- Song A : Instead of a Stage setting 6-0 : Distorted Organ, I get a General midi Harpsichord sound

- Song B Instead of a Stage setting 0-0 : Grand Piano, I get GM Tinklebell

I may not be very far from the expected result. Thank you so much if you have some more advices.

I can send screenshots if it may help.

Pascal

Dear Mike, 

Thank you so much for your message.

I feel as if a guardian angel was helping me.😄

I send you the screen shots of one of the midi presets.

I have watched several times your recent great tutorial which explains step by step what to do but I think (like you) I may have a configuration issue.

I may also not have understood very well all the subtelties of Arlomedia tutorial because I am not fully fluent in english and there is -for now- no help in french while the association between PX-5S and SLM is a great feature.

I can send as many screen shots as necessary. Just ask me.

I promise I will write a tutorial in french when we will have succeeded 😃

Once again, Dear Mike, have my deepest gratitude !

Pascal

(on FB, my name is Pascal ADAM)

Photo 1.jpg

Photo 2.jpg

Hello Ivan

Thanks for your reply and your help.

I have changed the digits in "Program number" and what I notice is that the settings driven by Set Lis Maker are always General Midi sounds, very far from the rich stage settings of the PX-5S.

Maybe this can help to find the issue.

Pascal

I don't know how to use Set List Maker-I've been studying it though, possibly using it-when the Casios always revert to the General Midi sounds-this is because the bank change number (CC) always will be set for the GM bank of Casio sounds, not the better quality sounds-I discovered this with the older PX350-that you must program in a bank change number, then the program change number to access the better pianos, any sound that is not a GM sound. I don't know how that is done with this program, but that's the only way i can see this step automated through Set List Maker-setting a bank change number. I forget where these bank change numbers are listed for the PX5s-if not in the manual, maybe the midi implementation chart or the appendix? Maybe Brad, Mike or Joe can help with this.

Thank you Brad !

GOERGN wrote "Create a MIDI device (PX5s - channel 1).

Now create midi presets (name, MSB=112, LSB=0, patch=00-99)

Assign a MIDI preset to a song. ". This is what I did and what Mike explained very well.

Thank you Jockeyman123 for your post !

You seem to have had the same issue as me, with GM sounds triggered instead of the rich sounds of PX-5S. I think there might be a few steps of configuration I ignore to reach the range of specific stage settings of PX-5S.

I have seen many videos with SLM plugged on PX-5S and we will find THE good configuration.

As I said to Mike, as soon as it will be working, I will post a tutorial in french on Casio Music Forum for all the users who are looking for "le grand secret de la mystérieuse connexion"... Thanks to you all and "Portez-vous bien !"

Brad, I have changed Stage Set.Chg to the other value : "PrgBnk" and now, I can trigger rich PX-5S settings instead of GM sounds.

In SLM, Midi settings, Program changes

Bank MSB is 112

Bank LSB is 0

Program is 22

and the result is Stage setting 3-2. 

I investigate why

Bank MSB is 112

Bank LSB is 0

Program is 33

and the result is Stage setting 3-3. Yess !

So, it's going to work well. 

Thank you Brad for the question about Stage Set.Chg parameter because a part of the solution is there.

I will post other reports after different tests

• Like 1

Result of my iterations :

I created a new database in Set List Maker

Then activated the midi link

Pressed system settings>midi>stage setting change. Set it from NRPN to bank program (the devil was in this detail, Thanks Brad !)

created Midi Presets (taking care to write the Program with 2 digits)

created songs

linked Midi Preset to each song

Organized Songs in a show

And everything is OK now !

Thank you Ivan, Jockeyman123, Mike and Brad. I am so grateful to you all !

As I promised, I will write a tutorial in french for those who look for step by step instructions which can't be found in french.

Stay healthy and enjoy your marvellous PX-5S !

Pascal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I am having a problem with bandhelper sending stage setting changes to the px5s.   I had this problem 3 years ago and sorted it with the rex filter.

Program changes in the rex filter is turned off but Bandhelper will accept song changes form the px5s but px5s is not changing stage setting when I change a song on Bandhelper.  I think it is something to so with the global midi settings on the Px.  Could anyone tell me what the factory settings for midi are on the px5.  I can't find what I'm looking for in the manuals..  I  have the ipad connected via a USB cable.

Any help greatly appreciated.

2 hours ago, gergriffin said:

Could anyone tell me what the factory settings for midi are on the px5. 

Press the plus and minus buttons at the same time to reset anything to default.  

I  have the ipad connected via a USB cable

Make sure USB IN enable is ON. 

px5s is not changing stage setting when I change a song on Bandhelper

Make sure the app is sending the appropriate stage setting change data, wether you're using NRPN or bank program change, depending on how you configured your PX to respond.