Video Files on Forum ×

Updated firmware-woo-hoo!

As the original fumblefingers who discovered how I could pooch my XW-P1 by interrupting the firmware upgrade (my virus-scanner stopped it halfway through)....3 years later I finally decided to take the plunge-and even though Mike Martin made a generous offer to upgrade it in the Dover, NJ headquarters-thank you so much Mike! Since I am now quarantined to the house-I decided I'd give it a go, and it went beautifully-no hitches. I had decided the extra options available with the new firmware made it worthwhile for me-and I am having a re-awakening of how much fun the is XW is. And thanks to AlenK, i will not be bored, since there is so much more to explore with this rather remarkable Casio, even after 3 years.  Thank you AlenK. 

:keys:           :www.MessenTools.com-Frutas-pianodance:

• Like 3

I confess, I kept putting off updating both my P1 and G1. I downloaded the firmware updates when they were released and have them sitting patiently in a folder in my main computer. I really should take the plunge and get my both my XW P1 and G1 firmware upgraded.

Out of interest Jokeyman, what computer/ operating system did you use? Did you have to turn off any antivirus programs,? Did you use a laptop to use its battery as an emergency backup in case of power failure? Same with the XW itself - did you have fresh batteries installed in case of mains power failure? Any notable steps you took during the upgrade that are worth knowing, was it a smooth and simple process?

Sorry for all the questions! Just I don't want to pooch mine, especially as they are getting harder to find on the used market (especially the G1).

Glad you got yours done BTW!

Here is Mike Martin's post about this....

I followed the exact sequence for connecting with a USB cable-computer and powering up the XW-P1. I am running windows 7 Professional on a Lenovo T520-a core i5 CPU with 16GB RAM, 500GB 2.5" hard drive, not SSD. 

First, I made sure I had no virus scanning, including Windows Defender running. I had my wireless connection turned off-and I set up the Windows power management so that everything, I mean everything-would stay on-screen, hard drive-anything that could throw the computer into standby or hibernate was set to stay on indefinitely. I don't use any other power management software, If you do, make sure you disable it. Some laptops have a proprietary power management program running in the background in addition to the Windows built-in power management-HP, Compad, Dell etc might have their own power management program running in the background. 

I have D cells in the XW-P1, but I also used its power supply-just to be sure the XW wouldn't power down. And likewise with the laptop-even though it was fully charged-I plugged it into AC. 

The sequence for doing this seems simple, but I did it to the letter. I did not connect the USB cable to the XW-I connected it just to the laptop first-just to make sure my computer recognized the cable first.  I powered up the XW to the update screen by pressing and holding both the edit and write buttons while powering up the XW. Then I connected the USB cable to the XW-P1. And finally, I double-clicked the .exe firmware program and prayed nothing would go wrong on my end. It didn't-it takes a 5-10 minutes roughly. I did not touch anything during this time-no mouse cursor, no programs, no computer or keyboard keys or buttons, on purpose or by accident. Update works quite well, and does add a few rather handy options I will use. One has to be meticulous, and make sure your usb cable and usb port are working!!  Sounds silly, but many failures can be caused by the simplest mistakes, which I apparently am pretty good at! 

• Thanks 1

Thank you Mr. Jokeyman!

I had read Mike's excellent guidelines, but it's always good to hear from someone who has just gone through the process. I was curious to see if there were any extra steps that you took that may/ may not make a difference.

All my main computers are running Windows 10, with the exception of a very old single core laptop that runs Windows 7 and Puppy Linux, and another newer laptop that dual boots Windows 10 and Linux Mint. The Windows 7 laptop (it was originally an XP model) is so old that the battery barely holds a charge for more than 10 minutes, so that one's out of the question. I don't want to risk a power failure then worry that my laptop will die in 10 minutes! A Linux computer would be excellent seeing as it is such a secure system, but unless I run Windows emulation within Linux, the software updater program won't run in Linux. Looks like I will use my most new (well, it's about 8 years old) Windows 10 laptop and ensure that WiFi, Bluetooth and Anti-viruses are all switched off. Before I even think about flashing the firmware though, I also need to go out and buy some D cell batteries.

Thanks again for the detailed response, it really helps give me a little more confidence to go ahead and upgrade the firmware in my two XWs 👍

Absolutely-definitely do not use the laptop with a battery and repeating look at your power settings...which depending upon power scheme, can put your computer in standby before you want it to be. and I've used several version so Linux, have 2 dual-boot machines, but stayed with stock Windows without an emulator and Linux. I'm not even sure the Casio firmware update will run in Linux even with the Wine emulator or whatever you use-there is a version for the Mac platform but I don't see one for Linux. the batteries are probably not necessary-but I kept batteries in just in case the power failed here-in the woods here in PA it does for no apparent reason sometimes. Power adapter is better since even one battery getting weaker while you're doing this could stop the entire process and poof, no XW AGAIN! Glad to help.

Almost every case I am aware of where the update failed it was because of virus protection interrupting the process, then people powering off the XW.  As along as you never power off the XW, the process can resume - I've seen this done even by switching computers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

AFAIK only the power to the synth never must be turned off (also keep full batteries inside) during update process because it completely erases its entire flash memory and then only stays alive by the code it still has in its ram. The computer or midi cable may be disconnected, rebooted, replaced with another or even updating the entire Windows version of the PC in between without doing harm.

Only the power to the synth NEVER must become disconnected. It's like in the robot movie "Short Circuit".

• 1 year later...
32 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

Scroll down to "check your firmware version" here....

https://support.casio.com/en/support/download.php?cid=008&pid=56

Huh, I guess it wasn't. I always assumed it had been done since I got a CD with the updater from the person I bought it from.

....and it's done! I closed everything, disconnected from the net, and turned off Windows defender. I had one of those "I'm done with this thing" moments last night after making a sequence I really liked then losing it, so if it got bricked it was a good day for it. My heart did sink when I heard the windows usb sound from the back room. Luckily it was part of the process. 

I lost my work I think because I didn't save everything into a performance. I still don't really understand how that works, if you can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it! I was messing with running the entire sequence through the filter, and my filter settings didn't get saved into the sequence when I brought it back up later on