Video Files on Forum ×

Help with Smartmedia card err (on a LK-90tv)

Hi all

I have got this LK-90tv that I bought years ago and only recently started using it (brand new).

As a result I have bought a Fujifilm Smartmedia 64MB card off ebay, initially I tried placing midi files onto it and put into the keyboard however it didnt work, it only worked when I format the card using the keyboard itself (was able to see the keyboard playing the midi file).

Today I have accidentally formatted the card using win10 (FAT16), after that no matter what I do I cannot get the keyboard to re-format it, it keeps showing "Err Card r/w" but Windows10 can read it perfectly...I have read online that it might have to do with windows has removed the partition table on the card. 

Is there any way to restore/rebuild this partition table? Or has anyone formatted a smartmedia card using a PC and had the same issue?

Thanks in advance for your help

1 minute ago, Brad Saucier said:

You might have to find a software utility that can reformat the card to it's original spec.  I'm not sure what spec that is, but it's worth investigating.

Thanks Brad, been trying to do that for the past 4 hrs...the only thing that remotely sound plausible was a program SMprep.exe which I downloaded but couldnt run as it kept complaining about missing drivers... 

Despite 64MB being rather tiny be today's standards-it can be formatted to a FAT32 partition i am pretty sure, rather than the standard FAT also called  FAT16. Windows will automatically see 64MB in a card as being FAT, not FAT32, and will format it accordingly to FAT automatically. I have several Smartmedia cards and readers, I'll check this but you might want to try formatting this SM card to FAT32 if you can, and see if that solves the problem. You probably will still need to re-format it in the keyboard, but maybe not. Windows will be able to read whatever format the card is-FAT, FAT32 or of course NTFS, but not a Linux partition-but that's a different subject.  Fat formatting, before FAT32  in the old Windows days was very limited to size-and since the older smartmedia cards topped out at 128MB, this was not a problem originally. Once windows went to FAT32, now larger cards-such as Secure digital (SD) could be used as portable drives. Why most newer Casios use the SD cards and thumb drives. 

3 minutes ago, Jokeyman123 said:

...I'll check this but you might want to try formatting this SM card to FAT32 if you can, and see if that solves the problem. 

Thanks Jokeyman123, just tried to format it to FAT32 but no luck. I've read somewhere that certain cameras back then expected a smartmedia card to be in FAT12, and not FAT or FAT16. If you have any casio keyboards that uses SM cards, it'd be much appreciated if you could see if they are FAT12...in the mean time I will look for a way to turn it into FAT12... 

Maybe try and buy a new/ old stock SM card and start from scratch? They're probably dirt cheap on eBay. You could also try getting a flash utility like Rufus or Etcher. They often have tools for formatting flash drives in various formats.