Video Files on Forum ×

midi conversion software

steve747

Hello. I have an old WK3200 and I'm trying to teach myself. Im having difficulty with the smart card. I have formated it and now it only has 1 midi file which I put back on. I want to play along with it on my guitar. The manual is difficult to understand. I can't figure out how to play the midi file. I tried the cursor buttons, left and right, up and down but I still can't get it to play the file

Hello. I am slowly understanding my WK-3200, however the keyboard or smart card doesn't seem to recognise midi files. It looks like they have to be SMF0 or SMF1 to be able to be able to play them. Is there a midi conversion program available for win 10. Thanks

There are basically 2 types of midi files- SMF0 and SMF1. the extension has to be .mid. The difference between the 0 and 1 type-and I use the jazzware sequencer to switch to one type or the other and save it as a type zero or one, but other software can do this too....read this:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/SMF0-SMF1-m892080.aspx

I am not familiar with the WK3200-but it may be that it needs SMF 0 to read the file, or the other type 1. Understand SMF is another label for a midi file-stands for Standard Midi File, and labeled as ***.mid, whatever your file name is comes first. Clowny.mid,  rhubarb.mid etc.  Win 10 should not need any special conversion for midi files...all versions of Windows from 95 up can read midi files and play these on a computer, as can any Apple/Mac product I've ever used. Unless the notorious Windows upgrade OS has once again left something important out of their newest OS without letting us "end-users" know about it. 

Steve

The WK-3200 accepts only Type 0 MIDI files.  See the first paragraph of Using the SMF Player on Page E-74 of the manual.

MIDI files on the Smart Media Card must be in the CASIO_MD directory on that card in order for the WK-3200 to recognize them.

The WK-3200 does not play MIDI files "directly" from the Smart Media Card, as newer keyboards "appear" to play them directly from SD Cards and USB flash drives.  The WK-3200 requires that the MIDI file be manually "loaded" into its internal memory.  Once it is loaded, it is "played" with the SMF Player function.  All of that cursor button pressing on Page 89 of the manual is just for loading the MIDI file into internal memory.  Until you successfully complete that, the SMF Player will not be able to find it and play it.  The navigation through all of that is difficult enough, but when they throw the diskette drive instructions, for the WK-3700, into the same sentences with the instructions for the Smart Media Card, it is almost impossible.  While you are working your way through all of that, you have to watch that you do not get distracted and head down a path for the diskette drive. 

So that I can consider an alternative, when you formatted the card, how did you put the MIDI file back on the card?  Do you have a Smart Media Card reader for your computer, or do you have your computer connected to the WK-3200's MIDI-IN/OUT ports.  If the former is the case, it might open up a much easier alternative, depending upon what computer operating system you are running (???).

- T -

Hello. Thanks kindly for the comments. I formated the smart card in the WK3200. Then I downloaded Sweet Caroline as a midi so it's only got  1 file on it. After frustratingly pushing the cursor buttons all over the place. I did get 1 message saying errsmf0 so I thought the midi file is wrong. I plugged a universal card reader to my computer and it accepted the smart card and I copied and pasted Sweet Caroline to the CASIO_MD folder, but it didnt play it. Actually at the risk of appearing stupid, half way typing this post I vaguely recall seeing Sweet Caroline in the display window. it just wouldn't play. Thanks

Steve that errsmf0 message is your answer.  It is saying "error smf0"  It is telling you it needs a Type 0 MIDI file.  Apparently the one you have loaded is a Type 1, so it can not play it.  At the moment, I am trying to find an SMF1 to SMF0 converter.  The web used to abound with these things, but now they are rarer than hen's teeth.  Probably because hackers loaded them up with viruses and malware, so most websites just deleted them.

Does this play using a software midi sequencer? Might be a silly question, but I would try that first if you didn't already. This message might be trying to describe that this is a midi type 1 file-a multitrack midi file, instead of a "type zero (0)" which has only only one track, and which the WK3200 needs to read as a midi type zero file. the difference again is that although there are 16 distinct tracks in the midi design scheme, each of which can contain an entirely different instrument, melody or chords, the type zero and type one store those 16 tracks in different ways. the type zero has all the tracks recorded or stored on only one track-even though there may be 1-16 separate tracks within that one track-the data for each separate track is 'embedded" in the one track, and will play correctly with software-or with the WK3200-which will separate whatever tracks are stored in that one track (also called a channel depending on what you read) and will play each part as if it is a "multi-track' .mid file. The type one .mid file stores each track in a different "channel" but ends up playing the same way, but the WK-and my older PX575 will not play this type of midi file. and like the WK3200-I must first transfer/store my midi file from its SD card into the internal memory of the PX575 before I can play it at all, and it must be a type zero midi file.

Confusing? Yes it is. If you were to open a midi type zero file and a type one file with a software sequencer-you would see only one "track" or "channel" in the software program for the type zero-but it could still have several different instruments, each assigned to a different midi "channel" and might not play correctly depending on the software. Now if you were top open the exact same file stored or recorded as a type One-you would see each separate track or channel laid out that way. if I had screen capture, i could show you the difference with a software screenshot. here is the "jazzware" midi sequencer for windows-which once installed, has a simple function for changing a type zero to a type one, or the opposite-and you will be able to see the difference on your computer screen-if your file is a type zero, you will only see one track, if it is a type one, jazzware will read it that way-and show you each separate midi track. Unzip the file-look for jazz32.exe in the "conf" folder, click it and run. You may need to study the program a little-but it's simple, and will easily convert type one and zero files back and forth-and plays both types in the computer.

Jazz-4.1.3.zip

• Like 1

Here it is...for the Jazzware, use "open" to get your Caroline midi file into the jazz program-now look at what you see-is it in one 'track" or several? Open the menu entitled "misc" and you will see merge and split functions. If you see one track-use the split function and it changes the file to a type one, if you store it after splitting it. if it is already a type one, you should see separate tracks or channels-use the 'merge" function, and save it. now it will be a type zero midi file. if you can upload your midifile here, i can quickly look at it and tell you what type it is, i do this all the time since I have older and newer Casios, and need to convert these files which are often type one downloaded from the internet. Hope this helps.

Thanks guys for all your help. I installed the Jazz program but I couldn't see there where to install the midi converter, lot of info there. i think you have nailed it that the downloaded files are SMF 1 and not 0. I could open the midi file in jazz and there was multiple tracks and I managed to change it to a single track but it wouldn't save. There were a couple of errors in the installtion. I'm including a screen shot2124117916_Screenshot2020-05-0113_50_16.thumb.png.c524ab34467e81d8e7e6cfc905c7e2d7.png

Screenshot 2020-05-01 13.22.46 - Shortcut.lnk

. OK-I see what's wrong, should solve easily. You see the file folder called "conf". Just cut and paste the jazz32 (the actual program) into the "conf" folder-the .cfg file and this program have to be in the same folder. The entire program is now in that folder. You will see a file labeled .cfg inside the conf folder. A little strange-but the nice thing about this-it is now a completely 'self-contained" program. It runs by itself-almost completely free of any Windows interference. This is the way all Android programs run-makes it easier to avoid being trashed by anything else. Once you get the program up and running (it's fast too even on an old computer) load your midi file, scroll to "misc'-select "merge" and it will change the multi-tracks to one. now save it-and it is now a type zero midi file. I've also used chandler's suggeste progam for this conversion too, but i thought you might like to see what actually is happening when you go from one midi file type to another. This concept of 1 trck containing all 16 midi channels is not new-my DTXtreme sequencer drum brain does th e same thing. It only has 2 sequencer recording tracks-but I can save 16 separate midi "channels" in each of the 2 sequencer tracks.  and the system track used by Casio in my PX560, the WKs and some other Casios uses a similar principle-when you record an entire auto-arrangement, plus all your other settings in the "system" track, this is using a similar concept. 

image.thumb.png.857b5b8339bbc5285957177efaff9aa4.png

By the way-this program looks a little weird because it was originally developed by Linux developers and ported over to Windows a long time ago. Surprisingly, the early versions of Cakewalk (which I still use because it is simpler, is fast and works well) look almost the same as this. Not sure, but it is possible these developers also developed the original Cakewalk. The more i used every other DAW, the more I go back to this one-it does everything I've ever needed for editing midi files in the simplest ways I've seen. For example-in the one column, you can insert program changes, bank changes, chorus, pan and reverb setting for each track.

If you see "a device ID" error message just click OK. Never figured out what that meant, but it doesn't seem to cause any problems. Has something to do with how Windows identifies a program-and I don't really have a problem if Windows can't identify my software, it is "open source". Hoping again, this helps. 

Send me the file, just upload it in this post. I'll see what I come up with. Every midi file I've ever played-hundreds-have played successfully with jazz-so let me take a look at this file. Can you play this on your computer with any other midi player?  Might even be the long filename, or th way the filename is written. I have a half-dozen midi programs i can run it through to see what is happening. 

There is a built-in midi file multi-track arrangement called simply "jazz.mid" that is in the same folder-the conf folder. My above screenshot is showing that file loaded. try to play that file, to make sure jazz is working. click on settings "midi device" in the settings menu-will open up new windows showing midi in and out settings. Will look like this..mine is set to play with somethng called Virtual midi synth, but your windows computer should have the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth built into it. This is the output you need to use to play a midi file on the computer.

image.png.b135c2b51f89ff3a3acb713b3ec86691.png

• 1 year later...

Hello Casio fans! Well , I am in the same boat of not being able to play any of the millions of free midi files found on the internet, on any of the modern Casio keyboards that have both an sd card slot and a smf player. A church member owns a Casio priva digital piano and wants to load and play free midi files of hymns found online but so far all of them a multitrack(what we want) midi files type 1(what we do not want) and no LINUX based software for me to batch convert or at least one to one convert these type 1 files to the much much much older type 0 format. Does anyone here have clues as to what LINUX software will allow converting? Rosegarden does NOT convert them in export. What else is there for Midi only files?

Well, I looked for a dedicated Linux midi file converter with no luck-when I suddenly realized, Jazz++ was (is) a Linux platform sequencer, and it converts back and forth to 0 and 1 type midi files very easily.  But it is a dead-end for Linux...gggrrrr!!!!-as only the 'tarball" is available-I don't believe it will be available in any Linux repository sadly. The other possibility-install Wine in your Linux build and run Jazz++ or Chandler's post linking to the jojosoft program. The only other software DAW I've found that converts midi one to the other is another dinosaur-Yamaha's XGWorks also a Windows platform DAW.

I have used Wine successfully, with Ubuntu and Puppy variations. it looks like it's still supported so probably will run on most any version of Linux, I guess?  Yes this gets complicated, but isn't that what software is for?:hitt: 

https://www.winehq.org/

• Thanks 1

I remember jazz++ back in 2000-01. I used it in Windows 2000 and SuSE Linux 7.2. I am sadly stuck with Windows for any usable apps for all things music and especially MIDI but I only use LINUX and have kept looking for a solution. Seems there are newer GUI apps called: MuSE, Qtractor and the latest versions of Ardour, that allow this conversion. It is very strange that SMF 0 midi converters are not more prevalent out there since MOST hardware players and recorders(midi data bulk recorders) only use SMF0 format as it compresses the data stream to a serialized non editable stream of multi channel, single track midi data.  I do have AV Linux MX Edition with all the apps I need, but I wanted something quick for regular desktop Linux installs to convert or batch convert all these free midi files from online that non of them play in Casio keyboards.. Sadly yes, Windows only for such specialized small apps. Funny you mention Yamaha XG Works! That was the ONLY app that would work for midi bulk dumps to and from Yamaha instruments containing alot of sys ex info and for OS upgrades! Cakewalk failed and so did other apps I had at the time.. Protools and Logic are heavy and midi is only a afterthought. In FL Studio I can do it but can be dangerous.. Ask me why lol! I did download the Japanese sequencer app btw. I will have to setup and fire up an old Windows 7 system just for HARDWARE MIDI situations like OS and FIRMWARE updates, bulk dumps and software controllers of hardware synths.. Time to dust off my copy of Windows 7 64bit Ultimate

I am running W7 pro 64bit on this T520 laptop. Its taken years to migrate from all the music software originally in my W95/98/XP /Vista machines and corresponding foobar issues up to Windows 7, and the attendant lack of drivers/compatibility issues. I skipped 8 entirely after trying it and seeing its Legoland interface. Not too happy with 10 either. Why Microsoft decided to design it more towards Android type architecture at least in some limited bizarro world-i already went back to W7 on one of my 10 machines. I am trying hard to like it on another although I see no real advantages to it, especially since it seems to want to molasses my laptops with its yet another cycle of endless upgrade patches. In that respect it has kept the Microsoft model of loading patches until your machine won't work anymore...sigh I kept all my OS disks from W95 up just for funsies.

And yes-XG works also unique in that it pretty easily can record multiple midi channels in one pass from any of my multitrack keys/modules that can send all channels at once, why I've kept it on my machines. I think there are other DAWs that can do this, but XG seems alot simpler to work with for that at least. I open Rosegarden, Reaper, FL Studio, Cakewalk (Bandcamp) etc. and find a dozen functions I'll never need, why I like the crude but effective Jazz++. It even allows for using wavfiles with midi tracks and in a very simple interface and synchronizes these tracks very nicely. In that respect although it does not record audio, i like the fact that it has all the functionalities of many more complex DAWs, but it has one of the easiest and simplest cut/paste/copy functions for midi tracks i've ever used. and again, very easy to set midi program and bank changes. I used this Jazz sequencer when I design my original rhythm accompaniments for the Casio. drop dead easy to set marks, fills everything before I render it to a ckf rhythm file. along with IDES 4.0 makes doing these rhythms pretty easy. And one simple setting for mid 0 or midi 1 file save. Its astounding how many younger  (I guess) musicians as I look around other music user groups, are struggling with the concept of mid zero and one file differences although the concept has been around forever, and can be a very powerful tool if one needs to work with alot of different hardware/software. Much easier to grab an entire auto-arrangement as a midi file with all its respective discrete channels/program/bank changes and have it as one file, then re-dissect it into a multi-track midi file on another machine that will recognize the format.

• Love 1