Video Files on Forum ×

Long mounting time for USB key

smokinjo

Hello

I got my PSX 3000 a couple month back and have slowly been exploring what it can do.

I have been laying around with the recording aspect of thing, and have been able to move files off and on the keyboard with ease.

I have noticed recently that it takes a long time to mount the USB for it to become readable.  Long time meaning 2-4 minutes, and sometimes longer.

What is the normal mounting time for a USB key?

Thanks

Joseph

I use a 32GB flash drive and have almost a GB of wav, midi, and registration files (over 100).  For my flash drive, It takes roughly 30 seconds.  I think it does take longer to load when you have a lot of files on it, but it shouldn't be 2-4 minutes if you only have 48kb.

It did seem long.  The keyboard is just a soecialized computer, so I am sure the mounting routines are similar(if not th esame) to Windows, Mac or Linux.

The USB key works fine on my computers.   Mounts in a few seconds of being connected.  (Windows and Linux)

I unfortunately do not have any laying around to test.  I am hoping that I do not need to buy 3-4 different brand USB keys to find at least one that works correctly.

I will have to ask around for some kind soul to lend me a USB key for a few minutes to test it:)

Might want to look at this.

https://sites.google.com/site/mbentefor/projecs-speedout

Small software program shows the speed of your usb thumb drive. Without another usb drive to compare, at least you can see if your drive is operating at normal speeds from your computer. Easy to websearch USB 2.0 speeds for typical thumb drives without having to buy a whole bunch. I had to become familiar with these types of diagnostic programs a few years ago as I ended up with a batch of counterfeit defective thumb drives which hopefully is not the case for the Kingston which should be fine. One of the red flags is a drive that operates unusually slowly-or files will disappear-or the file shows up but it is any empty file. And like you, these drives seemed fine on my computer-at first. The counterfeit drives are designed to look like the real ones, and even have "embedded" firmware to give you a phony drive size-so a drive will appear as 8-16-32GB etc. but in reality may only be 1-2 and even those chips are defective. Caused me no end of grief until i figured out what was happening.  I've never run into a counterfeit Kingston, but it's possible.  There are still quite a few fake drives, primarily out of China as far as the ones I had. I threw them out as these were pretty much useless and caused no end of data errors. I use a Sandisk 32GB in my PX560/350-like posts above-usually takes a minute at best-and I have over 100 midi and other files on it. I generally have had no trouble with any of the Casios wth a few different Legit!) drives. another good test which will betray a phony drive-load the drive to its capacity-and try to do some cut/copy paste operations. With mine, files seemed to transfer, but then would not work, or showed up as empty files-the names copied, but the file was empty! Hope this info helps, and you don't need any of this to happen!

I did Patricks suggtsion, and I reformated the USB key again.

Well, not it does not mount at all !!   :( I reformmatted with the keyboard and my computer.  No luck at all.

Jokey man has had bad luck, as I have not had any isues of data loss or low speeds before.  But be reminded, the issue is NOT with my computers.   Only on the psx3000.

Both my computers have USB 3 or USB 2.

It works on both of them.

PSX3000 is USB2.

The USB key is 3.0 with 2.0 compatibilte.

So, it works on computers with USB 2 and 3, but not on the casio with 2.0.

I will try to find a USB 2.0 key to test.  Wierd...

• 5 weeks later...

Well, after a few trials and errors, and money wasted buying new USB keys, I found a working one.

brand new one - kingston - would not even mount

lexar- maybe 2 years old - taks 10-30 seconds to mounts

generic one - maybe 3-4 years old - 10-30 seconds to mount

generic(promo USB key fpr a conference) - mounts in 3 seconds - it is at least 10 years old.

My casio PSX 3000 does not like, for some reaosn, newer USB keys:(  I hope that I do not lose the one that works...

All of them work well on Linux and Windows computers.  I woudl assume that Casio uses normal generic drivers in their keyboards.  Why doe smy USB keys work well? :(

At least it works now:)

I'm stumped. Must be an internal glitch in the PX-S, or if the PX is USB 2.0-possibly some problems with these newer 3.0 drives in terms of compatibility with out Casios-I've just bought another 32 GB Sandisk USB 3.0-I'll try it with the 560, 350 see what happens. What were your data rates like with "speedout". It is still possible the newer drive is counterfeit. these drives do strange things-it took awhile to detect what was wrong-on the computers-it seemed to work right, but only until it started throwing "ghost" files and speeds were not consistent. would also crash my keyboards which i had never seen before. And the counterfeiters have gotten more clever with logo copying-and prices. They mark the prices up to match a real thumb drive-instead of coming across for a cheaper price which was one way i used to be able to detect a counterfeit.