Video Files on Forum ×

Navigating saved registrations

Dcalce

Okay, I have managed to save registrations for all 498 songs in my repertoire. And I have to say that Casio did not make that easy. So now the next problem. I want to break out the master song lists to form sets. But I can’t figure out how to move a registration from one list into a set without reproducing the song again. Ex: File “A” has 96 song registrations and I want to take 10 of those songs and save them to a set called “club1”.  Has anyone developed an easy way to manipulate registration files. 

A software to manage data files would be awesome, if only Casio could open the format to the public I (or any developer interested) could develop such a software, this wuold add an infinite value to the MZ X keyboards...
Think about if you could edit/create you pad banks from the PC, or manage the registrations, this could save a great amount of time!

Come on Casio! If you don't want to update the firmware or invest in software tools, give us the ability to build the software we need! :D

• Thanks 2

Thanks Brad but you will need to give a little more information for me to process that. What I am doing now is: I load a full bank of all saved 96 song registrations. I find the song info I want to add to the new set. Say the song is named 123 and is in bank 2-7 of file A. So that song info is now loaded into the keyboard. I want to put that song into set 1. So with the song loaded I open and save the registration to Bank 1-4 then rename the registration and save it under set 1. Now the problems begin. I have to know, going in, which song should go into which bank number and I have to know which order I want to play the set. And if I want to change the order I get to repeat the process. Not to mention I don’t get to start from a blank slate. The names of the original bank A are still in the registrations. This is crazy. And way too time consuming to be practical. I’m not dissing Casio’s process because I understand registrations allow for changes of all rhythms and tones within a single song. However, my Roland was so much simpler. You set up the song data. Hit save and named it. It was placed in the file you named in alphabetical order. You could then easily move songs from a master list into any sets you wanted and easily change the order songs within the set. This keyboard just doesn’t fit my particular performance style or criteria. 

When working with the 96 registrations that are in keyboard memory:  Bouncing one registration to another location is done by recalling the first registration, then simply storing it as a new registration in another location.  Since this is technically a new registration, it does not keep the name of the previous registration.  

Once you store and name a new registration in keyboard memory, you can save each registration to USB individually.  Press menu, media, save, registration.  Once saved to USB, this will allow them to load back into keyboard memory, into any location, in any order, with their names intact.  Press menu, media, load, registration.  This is probably how I would do it if I had several hundred registrations I wanted to store as a library.  I could then assemble my 96 onboard registrations from that library on the USB drive.  

If that’s what I have to do, then I will have to do that. But you must admit the process is time and labor intensive and because you must make several loads and saves and renaming it leads to losing data by making one mistake and then you get to start all over again. Speaking for a friend. I never make mistakes.  I will probably never have to buy another keyboard (five should be enough). But if I ever do it will not be a keyboard that takes such a convoluted process just to save song data.

Question:

What's the difference between a pizza and a musician?

Answer:

A pizza can feed a family of four                            Don't blame me, my brother told me this joke, that's why we like pizza.

And remember what Thad Jones told us in class years ago which has been my mantra or something like it-neophyte innocents as we were....."don't worry about what notes you play, you can only be off by one" (unless of course you play chords was my first thought-I was gonna answer him back, but he was alot bigger than me.) 

• 1 month later...