Video Files on Forum ×

Can I Bypass The Volume Knob?

Solo-Man

Hey Buds,

I'm enjoying my PX-560M.

I've noticed that the volume knob is quite sensitive - so much so, that when I reach for the white 'Rhythm' button just to the right of it to start a rhythm, that I often inadvertently bump the volume knob with my left hand, especially in low light.

So is there a way to temporarily bypass/disable the volume knob, (other than pulling the black plastic knob right off the volume control pot/reo-stat it controls 😏 )?

Thanks Buds, 

Solo-man

I am having a hard time believing that such a "slight bump" should make that much difference.  I am wondering if you have a defective volume control.  I am hoping that @Jokeyman123 will see this and chime in to let us know if the volume control on his PX-560 is that sensitive, or that you might need to consider a warranty repair.

No problem like this I've noticed and you can set individual volume levels with the balance screen to tone down the loudness of just about anything, upper/lower tones, mixer channels, audio playback, midi song playback. That way-you'd really have to move that volume knob alot to get a change in volume. If all your default values are at 127-maxed out, tone down to 100 or less. That way I have an upper "window" to jack up any particular sound when balancing a mix if I need to. And when you record-look at the level of channel "A" in the mixer window, to see what it's default volume is-this will be the volume of the first track you record-but will end up in the "C" midi channels. You may have your "A" channel souped all the way to 127, which would make the volume control seem a little "twitchy". Mine is fine, very smooth linear response.

I've never noticed a problem with the volume control-I have to turn it to 2 o'clock for most levels to be loud, 12 o'clock is usually medium loud. If it's a problem-how about finding an alternate flat knob to replace the one that's there, would be harder to hit by accident. Never noticed if the knob can be removed/replaced. Look through electronics parts suppliers for surplus parts like Jameco, All-Electronics or several others. I keep a variety of replacement knobs for just about anything-from furniture drawer pulls to every conceivable electronics pot knob. Yes, this house looks like an electronics warehouse, but if I wander around long enough, I can find just about anything in here. Anybody need some logarithmic slide pots? How about mini LED's? Mixer slide controls? We got that.:spacecraft-1:

Hi T! thanks for the endorsement, how's things by you? Happy 4th everybody, as happy as it can be locked in the bunker with my mask ready again.:waaah:

Update-I can't get the volume control knob off easily-so I guess replacement isn't an option. Brad's solution would seem the best-set the volume knob at around 12-2 o'clock-tape it-then use the balance settings in the menu selection to set each level where you want it-at least roughly-and use an expression pedal for dynamic volume changes as you need to.

You might want to mess with some "poster putty" used for sticking and removing papers, posters etc.-put a small blob against the volume knob and panel of the PX-to prevent it from slipping but still would enable you to move the knob when you need to-would give it more friction. Poster putty is pretty harmless to plastic and can be easily peeled off-I use it to stick screws on screwdrivers for repair work-and to stick my protective panel over the PX560 screen when I'm not using it-in case one of the cats tries to work the touchscreen with their claws-or a meteorite comes through the ceiling and lands on my PX560-don't laugh, it could happen.......I never thought I'd have to play another wedding gig again, 15 years later-there I  was in yet another Mafia catering hall, but now I'm off topic. In case any goodfellas are reading this-that's my real picture in my avatar. My name is George. :cop:

Got it Jokeyman!

"My name is George. I'm unemployed and live with my parents"!  Then the blonde beauty takes a shine to him, haha.

'Goodfella' here George!

But luckily, George Costanza is not on 'our list', so you're good to go, haha!

...........................................................................................................................

I didn't think I could bypass the volume, but thought I'd ask, just in case it was in the software options somewhere.

I've pretty much gotten use to this entire keyboard now with all it's windows and options but I'm still leaning the last few things as I go.

Jokeyman:  If all your default values are at 127-maxed out, tone down to 100 or less. That way I have an upper "window" to jack up any particular sound when balancing a mix if I need to.

Yup,  I'm liking the 100 vs.127 volume, which I've taken note of. I'm just about to get into registrations.

I'm guessing I can set this up so that my volumes are at 100 vs.127, no? Then I could keep that as my main startup reg.

But I didn't know this:

Jokeyman:  And when you record-look at the level of channel "A" in the mixer window, to see what it's default volume is-this will be the volume of the first track you record-but will end up in the "C" midi channels. You may have your "A" channel souped all the way to 127, which would make the volume control seem a little "twitchy"

So, thanks for that tid-bit of info. That just might be it. 

Much appreciated Jokeyman (and 'Brad' and 'T' that also chimed in).

Solo-Man

• Like 1

Most welcome-Brad helped me with understanding how the A, B and C channels are displayed and used in the mixer-this is a key piece of info when recording-and when using the PX560 as a "midi sound module' for playing midi files connected to a DAW or external midi sequencer.

I was initially surprised to see A, B and C, and have pretty much figured out A and C, but I'm still unsure what 'B' is for, as nothing shows there, (at least so far).

Can either you or Brad elaborate a bit on that Jokeyman 123?

Thanks Brad. I was already browsing through the manual, so I'll have a look for it now.

Edited: Adding this:

Yup - page A-5, but in the back of the main manual, (not in the Appendix), just FYI for future inquiries.