Video Files on Forum ×

B3 rotary set up.

Jack Roy

My new 3000 came with the handful of fold out map type manuals.  Not fun.  I got the online manual but page 84 was not direct information.  The part of the process that is getting me is once I have assigned the knobs under an organ patch (ie 001 JS Organ) to the DSP called Rotary 016 Rotary, it has a decent spin up / spin down of a Leslie sim.  It's the process of storing it to the patch that has not been connected in the manuals.  Can it be stored to the patch directly or does it need to be stored to a Registration?  If so, how do you save the registration to the patch?  The only real Registration information I find is on pg EN-40 of this manual: https://support.casio.com/storage/en/manual/pdf/EN/008/PXS3000_usersguide_B_EN.pdf.

It would have been so easy for at least the 3000 to have a single "assignable to critical function" button on the front panel.  Certainly at the $850 price point.  The 1000 does not have any rotary sim (according to Casio) that's why I upgraded to the 3000

Thanks for the quick reply but...

So on this organ patch 001 JS Organ, the patch came with the top knob controlling "Cutoff Freq" and the bottom controlling "Resonance" both pretty much way down the useful list for a performance organ patch.  Here's what I'm doing

1. Call up patch
  2. Function down to "Ctrl"
  3. Tap on DSP
  4. + up to 016 Rotary
  5. When I play the sound and turn the top knob, I get control over the Leslie effect.  It's decent for stage

So effectively I've adjusted the knob assignment for that patch.  How I get it to save to the patch for recall every time I use that patch is stopping me cold.  I would think, it could be saved by overwriting the patch.  If every time I want to switch to that organ during a live performance, I end up having to go into different functions to regain that knob assignment...it's beyond useless and far from industry standards.

Thanks for your help, Tom

Tones do not determine what the knobs are doing.  Registrations determine what the knobs are doing.  As I mentioned in the first post, change the 'knob set' to DSP control to gain knob control over rotary speed.  You can save the 'knob set' as a registration, and the DSP effect you selected will also be saved with the registration.  If you need detailed instructions, there is a section in the manual on assigning a knob set, page en-26.

• Like 1

Bear with me here.  Is a registration patch specific or global?  How does that patch 001 JS Organ know to use the registration that the changes were made to?  It's this connection that's eluding me.

Tom

PS.  I hope terminology isn't confusing the issue.  I call an instrument (maybe referred here as a tone) a patch

Thanks a lot for your help.  I just want to assign knob 1 to Rotary and store it to the patch so when I go from Piano to Organ, that knob controls rotary.  I can edit it and get the effect I want on that one patch, but as soon as I change to a different patch and then return, OR power down / power up, the knobs on that organ are back to Cutoff Freq and Resonance.  I guess I'm going to have to clunk down another $300+ for a Leslie foot stomp.  Other than that, the keyboard is nice.  Between it's size and our Bose LI Model 2 with dual subs plus a few other things, we can get to the gig in our Hyundai.  Beats the old 16' ex uHaul.

Tom

Tom, open the user manual to page EN-26.  Follow the directions under the section titled "using the knobs".   At step 3, select the 'knob set' titled "DSP Param", which is short for DSP parameter.  See page EN-76 for the list of all available knob sets and what each knob does in a set.  Once this is complete, hold the store button while pressing a registration button to save the knob setup as a registration.  You can select any tone with DSP and now use the knobs to control DSP, in the case of organ tones with rotary, it will control that.  You can save registration with organ as your upper 1 tone and the knobs set for DSP param.  You can create another registration with piano and any other settings you want.  During a performance, you can change registrations rather than tones.  This is what they're designed for.  At any point in time, if you like the way your keyboard is setup, simply store it as a registration to save it for later recall.  You have 96 registrations to store settings.  

• Like 1

Well, I've beaten around what you have posted, and I guess what I've come away with that if I want a standard patch like the Organ 001 JS Organ to have the knobs control the rotary effect, then I build this custom registration, store it, then from this point on instead of selecting the ORGAN patch from the TONE bank, I would need to scroll down to to the REG function, select a bank, then use the "-", "+" buttons to call up a registration that is the 001 JS Organ with the stored "snapshot" (as you called it) to get that organ tone WITH the custom knob functions?

If so, this is one of the most illogical workflows I've seen in years (40 to be precise) and worthy of sending this unit back to Sweetwater.  Too bad, I was liking it.  Thank you for helping out and trying to get me thru the process.  I've been around everything technical in music since the early 80's and this is not logical for my needs.

Tom

Tom, any one of 4 registrations in a bank is always 1 button press away.  You simply store your favorite tone and knob configurations as various registrations in any order you like, then select them as you need to during a performance.  Your first registration could be a piano, with knobs that control brilliance and reverb. Your second one could be a registration that has organ where you have a knob that controls rotary.  You can easily jump between these two registrations with a single button press.  No need to configure anything else or menu dive to change your keyboard setup.  The bank button is simply used to switch to another bank of 4 registrations.  There's 24 banks, 4 registrations per bank.

• Like 2

So, I could be playing an acoustic grand from the patch select with the function on "Tone", then switch to Electric piano via the Tone button, then instead of Organ "tone" from the next "tone button, I'd hit the function button 3 times so the right hand display is on "Bank" and then use the "-" or "+" buttons to scroll thru the registrations until I get to the one that has this edited set up for the organ with rotary.  That sound correct?

3 things:

1. Seeing this would more than likely be the only "Registration" I would have, I could write it to Registration Bank :01 so it's at least the first Registration that would appear?
  2. Can I rename the Bank to say something like Bank 1: B3 w/Rotary
  3. Is that non-destructive so it stays saved even after power down?

Well, I won't bother you anymore tonight.  I really do appreciate your help.  Because this was a NAMM show Demo, I'm wondering if somehow it got messed with and needs a full factory reset.  Every single tone selection, the top knob controls "Cutoff Freq" and the bottom knob controls "Resonance".  In most tones, you cannot hear any difference in Resonance and just a dulling of sound with the Cutoff Freq as expected.  That's almost useless for 95% of the sounds except analog filter sounds, etc.

I would think each tone would assign those knobs to more vital features based on the tone selected like filter sweeps, saw to tooth wave mixing, ADSR on string or bass tones, etc

You know how visitors at tradeshow booths love to just push buttons and walk away.  Who knows

Again, Thanks

Tom Frazee.  Former Full Time Faculty at Berklee College of Music / Professional Writing Department

Tom-I own the PX560, a few others from the other major food groups-yamaha ensoniq etc. have a history. not sure if this will help, but I'll try....

The registration process does take getting used to and comes from the basic structure of so many of these "arranger' style boards, rather than the more typical "performance" or "multi as many other boards use. I think what makes this more difficult-you cannot edit a 'tone" and save it, then call it up in a registration. the PX560 is similar but can edit a tone, and save the DSP with the tone-my 'workaround" has been to set up the knobs (there are 3 in the PX560 which follow the same design as the PX-S3000 from what I have read in the manual) , and/or expression pedal settings I want in one registration for a particular set of tones-then I can call up the registration-and from the main screen-select each tone I want individually, and each will use the same knob/pedal settings/ I do this with the organ sounds in particular-but the PX560 makes it a little easier because i can edit each organ tone with the correct DSP setting so it will respond to the knobs and pedal the way i want-convoluted yes, but similar to setting up a "performance" or "multi"- and selecting that to play live. for example-I have the pedal programmed to turn leslie effect on/off-then I have the DSP set for each organ tone to the settings i need for the leslie effect-save it in a registration-I use the last bank since it's harder to over-write by accident. Then i can select various organ tones from the main screen (not sure how that's done in the PX-S) and each will respond the same way to the knobs and pedal. Hope I helped at least a little.

Thanks Jokeyman123,

I guess the really frustrating aspect of this whole thing is the fact that a major player in the affordable keyboard industry has made a really great keyboard, spent gobs of time on the texture of the keys, the action, the compactness of the unit, and then leave out the most basic function of most organ / B3 patches.  The rotary feature.  It doesn't even need to be the best, but it should be instantly available in a performance environment.  It should be baked into the patch.  The fact that those two knobs are globally Cutoff Freq and Resonance on every patch is bizarre.  On most patches, they are the most useless parameters to have live control over.  Analog type pads and leads, those are very useful.  The rest...not so much

I just sold my "stage" keyboard, an old Roland JV-1000, which was one of the first "workstations" made in the 90's.  The onboard sounds where just too "clacky" for aggressive piano / el piano / organ performance, so I'd MIDI it up to a Proteus 2000 module for better sounds.  The issue with that rig was the bank / patch set ups would not talk to each other.  I had to use a very clunky way to bring up the 8-10 sounds I'd use on stage.  BUT, the organ sounds on both the Roland and the Pro-2000 all used the MOD wheel for Leslie spin up and the JV had a slider that duplicated the feature.

I guess to gain that type of function and customization, I'll need to jump up up to the Nords ($$$$) or Yamaha's ($$$$), but keep in mind, these Casios are described as a stage piano.

Thanks.  I'll try to get to someone on phone to actually walk me thru the set up of a registration.  The pages in the manual that address the functions of registration, DSP, etc, all stop short of several instructions.  Can I rename a registration "Bank".  How do you save a registration so it is non-destructible?  It seems to me, once I reboot power, the registrations are reset, but that's me not having gotten that far yet.  As always, R&D at most manufacturers find it necessary to come up with their own terminology to say they did.  Registrations are organised in "Banks" (that's OK) but then sub-banks called "Areas"  pfff

Stay healthy,

Tom   

Tom,

The function of the performance controls like the knobs is tied directly to the registrations not to the individual tones. This gives you the ultimate flexibility to customize the functions the way you need them. As Brad stated earlier, set the knob configuration to the way you want and store it and it can be instantly recalled. This type of setup is actually common in newer stage pianos from other manufacturers as well and is not unique to Casio. 

If you need help, please feel free to contact me directly via private message here on the forum. 

• Like 1

Right you are all counts. And the manuals for the PX560 seem more detailed, at least from what I know.

I've posted requests for certain firmware revisions but unless it is absolutely essential-it must be prohibitive for a manufacturer to re-program hard-wired features already written into the firmware code, just a guess. I have been hinting here at how far-reaching my old GEM Equinox was re leslie-organ settings i now see on the Nords and others but were way ahead of their time, so I kept mine-and have even suggested here that many of those features would look great in a Casio, and they've come the closest for the money. Even my old Ensoniq uses the mod wheel for leslie fast slow, although it is a bit of a dinosaur now. And the XW and MZ-X have quite a few more accessible leslie/organ features missing from the PX series, a shame as adding even drawbars to these PX's would be bloody marvelous as they say in the UK! 

One other thing-the PX560 has fully programmable settings for its 3 knobs-which default to low-mid-high eq globally which comes in handy-and knob settings can be re-programmed to just about anything-but must be stored in registrations. I try to look at it as just a speed-bump but in a live situation-I might find a way to create a switching program from the computer-that would be fully programmed to  select and set up every group of registrations I need for a given gig, alost like a "jukebox" function, but for groups of registrations.  And on the PX-560-I can save entire groups of registrations which can be recalled from the thumb drive, i don't own the PX-S3000 but without studying the manual, I'm wondering if this design is the same on the PX-S.

True on everything.  This actually might be the draw back to the touch buttons as opposed to mechanical buttons.  Very sensitive in a fast paced live performance situation.  I've been living in my studio / vst environment too long.  The band has been on hiatus for several years, long enough to throw me into the abyss of the tech gap.

Tom