Video Files on Forum ×

Can you use the roland dp-10 with the casio cdp s350

Dnnyboy

If this does not have a polarity switch-I wouldn't buy it. Looking at it's specs at Roland-I don't see that it's switchable-and simply re-wiring it will not work. Plus this has a 3-conductor plug, All my Casios only use a 2-conductor for this type of simple sustain pedal.  This 3-conductor must be for the half-damper function, and I'd be pretty sure it will not work with a CDP-and it seems unreasonably expensive  (54.00 list) for a simple sustain pedal.  I have several much less expensive (including the Casio) switchable pedals-all work fine with the CDP230R, PX350 and PX560.  even the sp-34 3-pedal unit is only a bit more expensive for the CDP-S350 and this will definitely give you a working half-pedal response plus sostenuto and soft pedal.

• Like 1

Yes, I would agree with Jokeyman here. The DP-10 does not look like it will be compatible and does not include provisions for switching polarity, so I'd say you're better of staying away.

Indeed, if you're shopping in that price range, I'd say go for the SP-34. It's going to open up way more functionality for you than a standard sustain pedal, since it's the only way the CDP-S350 can have variable damper height control. This also frees up the regular pedal jack for stuff like Rhythm/Song Start/Stop or being used as a pedal page turner in the Chordana app's score viewer.

• Like 2

@Dnnyboy I have a DP-10 and a CDP-S350. I can confirm that they are not compatible. Roland and Yamaha pedals are of the normally-closed type, but you need a normally-open pedal or one of the universal kind already mentioned with an open/closed switch. As Brad suggested, the Casio SP-20 is a great choice. I use the M-Audio SP-2 universal type with my CDP-S350 and it works great for me.

As others have said, the SP-34 is awesome, but it's 3-4 times the price of the SP-20 in my neck of the woods (US), so be sure you really want the half-damper and other capabilities it provides. I have an SP-34 which I use daily with my PX-S3000. I love that it stays where I place is better than any pedal I've ever owned. 

FYI, the various half-damper pedals available out there are a bit more expensive for a reason. They all, including the SP-34 damper, contain a potentiometer, rather than a switch, to achieve the various levels of damper along the travel range of the pedal. I get at least 7 levels of half-damper on my Yamaha pianos with the proper pedal.

18 hours ago, Rod Tompkins said:

@Dnnyboy I have a DP-10 and a CDP-S350. I can confirm that they are not compatible. Roland and Yamaha pedals are of the normally-closed type, but you need a normally-open pedal or one of the universal kind already mentioned with an open/closed switch. As Brad suggested, the Casio SP-20 is a great choice. I use the M-Audio SP-2 universal type with my CDP-S350 and it works great for me.

Thank you for not saying "polarity"! 😆😇

On 7/28/2020 at 5:16 PM, Jokeyman123 said:

??????????????????

"Polarity" means positive and negative, the flow of electrons, etc. The direction of electrons has nothing to do with how pedals or switches work. As @Rod Tompkinsdescribed, the different types of pedals are whether they are normally open or closed. Pushing the pedal reverses that. Calling it polarity is a peeve among those of us who are pedants about things like this. :D Another one is "keybed." I can understand the error that started the use of polarity, but if you know about acoustic piano actions, keybed is something very specific. And there's already a word that can be used, "action."

Anyway, I digress. ;) 

I don't know, I sleep on a keybed. The white keys are more comfortable than the accidentals though. As far as polarity-I thought there was north polarity and a south polarity and a barber pole polarity-I was positive I understood this, now I'm feeling pretty negative about the whole thing.  Good thing I didn't bring up expression pedals.......I don't feel free to express myself about that now.  Back to the woodpile.:waaah:

Seriously though-this is why I've tried to tell people here before about not switching wiring on a sustain pedal. You are of course right, I just didn't see the inside joke-there's no joke when it comes to polarity! Best example-should i use my left hand or my right hand while I hold the hot lead of my car battery, while I stick my tongue on other? And should i do this with the positive or negative lead. Free cookie if you know the answer. Please kids, don't try it..... I am being ludicrous-please look that word up and with all things electrical-if you don't understand something with electricity going through it-don't even think about trying it. I am 'absolutely serious about that.  One of my best friends lost his father due to an electrical welding malfunction, no joke. Off topic, sorry.

• Sad 1