Video Files on Forum ×

Arppegio

Tom banjo

I am not clear as to what you are asking. I will help but I need to have a better understanding of exactly what you want to do.When you describe "partial keyboard" do you mean allocating different sections of the keyboard for different sounds-as in a hex layer? Or are yuo trying to describe an XW performance-which will enable you to create 4 "zones" across the keyboard. The XW can do either or both but you have to be in that "mode"-select performances or select a hex layer to edit.

I understand and use  zones in performance and tones in tone  .I also use the hex layers.

I am wanting to have a bass for a couple of octaves on the left that--the arpeggiator  sounds on --but it will be off on the rest of the keys --It seemed it was all the keys or none --no matter their zone or range settings within the zones--I could be wrong though--thanks

Check how you did that. I have had 4-way splits in a performance, and you can zone the keys any way you want by using performance settings-up to 4 different tones. i think you are limited to the "PCM" tones for this though. I don't think you can zone solo synth or other non-pcm tones-which is kind of limiting.  Will have to get the XW in front of me to remember. But what you want to do will definitely work. The XW is pretty 'deep' as far as the settings for -well just about everything with the small screen-and don't forget Mike martin's favorite comment-always remember to push "write" after you make your changes, to save what you've done, or the XW reverts back to whatever settings were there before you edited anything.

• Like 1

Oops-my mistake-you might want to try using the editor for the XW-easier to see all the settings for a performance but of course makes it more complicated since you have to set up the XW with a computer connection. I do that when i want to review exactly what i can do with this very complex (IMO) instrument. My mistake is that zone 1 can use anything for that zone-hex layers, drawbar organs, solo synth or PCM tones. The other 3 zones only can use PCM or drum tones but you can set up any ranges you want for each zone.

Asides from being able to split the keyboard into zones and assigning the arpeggio key range to whatever keys you wish to select, there's another thing you can do by using zone one with the solo synth and filter, then assigning a PCM patch to zone 2 with "filter all" selected. By doing this, the arpeggiated solo synth sound and solo synth filter will affect the PCM tones in zone 2 also (and 3 and 4 if selected). As you sweep the cut off frequency closed, you get a rhythmic "chatter" of the PCM sound, as the filter is retriggered by each note played by the arpeggiator. Have a listen to this composition of mine that demonstrates it better than I can describe it. The bass line is a solo synth patch triggered by the arpeggiator, and I am simultaneously playing a chord (and engaging hold) on another keyboard zone that is assigned a PCM polysynth patch. Just doing that pretty much wrote the basis of the entire piece!

• Like 2