Video Files on Forum ×

Share your EQ'ing and setup for live or production sound

yul

Hey guys,

I am currently using a CT-X5000 and think many of the sounds and general tone may have some overlap across Casio models.

My question is for situations where you are using line out (not using internal speakers).

Is there a common theme with the Casio sound? I believe it is mid to bright ranging by default (when using the line out into my KRK speakers).

This may be a good thing for modern music. I am mostly looking at improving the bass and possibly reducing the mids.

What would be your EQ'ing settings that works well when looking for a production sound?

Anyone using external EQ's? Anyone using the internal EQ's? Which settings?

I am not sure if the default EQ on my CTX has the best setting in general.

I tried using the custom EQ but sometimes just increasing the levels for the bass tracks works even better.

I am also trying to understand the user EQ in my CT-X5K.

There is an option called input/output level. Not sure how this changes anything.

I had a previous post about comparing with Yamaha sound. The Yamaha is really more bassy and full sound.

I can get close with my CTX but it's always different.

Casio sound is actually pretty good. I would like to know how to best adapt it to situations.

Cheers

As Brad says above. For recording, you generally want a flat EQ and a dry sound, UNLESS you specifically want a particular sound using effects along with its EQ settings and know that it works within a mix. Generally when recording into a multi-track DAW, you adjust EQ and add effects during the mixing/ post stage. It's much easier to add effects and EQ to a dry recording than to try and take effects and EQ away if they're already in the raw waveform.

If performing live, EQ will entirely depends on the venue size and acoustics, and whether you are playing through just an amplifier or if you're going through a PA system. One size doesn't fit all unfortunately, as there are so many other variables that need to be taken into account depending on the situation.

3 hours ago, yul said:

So anyone actually using the internal EQ's on your keyboards ever?

With factory presets, generally no. Modern keyboard presets are often already optimised so that no EQ changes are needed in most cases.

If I am making my own sounds in a synthesizer, then that's a different scenario. However, the EQ settings for a particular patch will entirely depends on that individual patch itself. A different patch using different waveforms/ envelopes/ filter settings may require different EQ settings. For sound/ patch creation, there isn't a one size fits all EQ setting as there are too many other variables that come into play.

i sometimes use the 3 control knobs on the PX560 for varying the global eq-the knobs default to low, mid and high sweep, and can be altered and saved to a registration. but I usually only use those for temporarily monitoring my own mixes-sometimes altering the eq when I am practicing the piano-depending on what I am playing, I might want a bit more or less bass, midrange or treble across the piano tones. But as others have already said-for final recordings-I usually tailor eq with my digital recorders if at all, and for live-completely unpredictable depending upon where I am. I usually play back a prerecorded sequence through my keyboard setup and walk around the venue before a gig to hear what I need to do to establish a decent tone, but then again once everything else is happening, I need a good keyboard monitor speaker and I will set my eq from my powered mixer head. that can even change from song to song-pads need a totally different eq than say solo piano or organ lead in a song-and strings-very tough live-usually need to bring up the midrange and treble, but again there is no hard and fast rule I've found. The worst-when i have to wire into a house sound system, which I try never to do if i can avoid it.

• 1 month later...

Same here I try to stay close as flat playing live but I adjust my amp eq to the bass sound on the spilt function if I have to. I try to get the casio bass guitar to sound more like a clean bass that is not too boomy. Once I have done that I know it will be clear when I play the other sounds with or without bass. I usually like the bright sound coming out of the keyboard. My PA speakers do not have mids layering instruments usually helps.