Video Files on Forum ×

Knob #1, "Cutoff Frequency" with Concert Grand and Stage Piano

Trooplewis

I'm a little amused and a little curious what  (I believe to be) the default setting for the first knob is when playing any of the Piano tones. It says "Cutoff Frequency"

If you are playing Tone 4, Stage Piano, and the Knob is turned all the way down, you get no sound at all.

Same thing if you are playing Tone 10, LA Piano. If you turn the knob up past half way, you get something similar to Tack Piano or Honky Tonk...

If you are playing Concert Grand and you have the knob turned all the way down, you get a sound very close to Mellow Grand.

I would normally leave both knobs off when playing straight piano, but Cutoff Frequency really affects the sound and that knob cannot be ignored.

Maybe I accidentally changed the setting for that knob; does anyone know if that is the default?

Thoughts?

I too am curious as to how Casio decided on the settings for "Cutoff Frequency" for each of the tones.  I'm even more curious to learn what "Modulation" does... it appears to do different things for different tones.  Finally, I'm curious to learn why these two settings were important enough to rate the #1, default setting for the knob selection.  I'm not trying to be snarky... but if I understood more about what they did, and why Casio designed the instrument this way, then I would like to think that I could play it better, just because I understood it a little better.

Regardless, my experience is that the knob settings are not "permanent".  That is, if you pick a tone, and then dial the knob all the way to one extreme or another, and then select another tone, then the knob setting goes back to its default (tone specific) value for that new tone.  Moreover, when you go back to the original tone, its knob settings also revert to their default settings.

If you want to preserve the knob setting for a particular tone, you would need to save that in a registration.

--wpd

oops... I wrote "modulation" above... I meant "resonance"

Anyway, my best understanding is that each tone has tone-specific "default" values for the cutoff frequency, resonance (whatever that means), brilliance, attack, release, vibrato, Portamento, and modulation, not to mention the default values for the DSP settings for the tones with DSPs.

I would love to see a chart of what those default values are, for all 700 tones.

I could construct the chart for the DSP values.... it would just time and effort.... enough time and effort that I haven't been able to convince myself that it's worth it.  But every once in a while I think about finding a wiki page somewhere that I could start the chart, and then I and others could fill it in as we learned things.

But I keep coming back to... it would be a lot easier if Casio supplied this information directly instead of having to derive it.  Oh well.

--wpd

• 2 weeks later...

Resonance-also called "Q"-combined with changing the filter over time-or manually-will give you those whooshing-wee-wow types of Moog sounds-can also add some fullness to sounds that might sound rather flat and thin-sounding-can really fatten up-or conversely-cancel out a sound and will have an effect on any tone-moreso on some than others.  I sometimes use resonance to fatten up the pianos-and i don't know if you can do this with the PX-can create vocoder type effects if used in combination with an LFO to control the resonance.

On 8/21/2020 at 4:13 PM, Patrick Doyle said:

I would love to see a chart of what those default values are, for all 700 tones.

There is no "default" for the knobs. A saved registration determines the function of the knobs. So for example if you're playing Piano + Strings you could change the function of the knobs to be layer balance and store it as a registration so it always functions that way when you select it. 

• Like 1

The knobs function as "Offsets" for a stored parameter.  So at the center position the knob isn't doing anything to the selected tone.  If you turn the knob left you're subtracting from the stored value - closing a filter, making an envelope faster, decreasing reverb depth - depending on what function you've chosen for the knobs.  

• Like 1

...and my experience is that the knobs don't affect a newly selected tone.(*)  They only have an effect if I change them after selecting a new tone.

(*) ... for the parameters that affect tones, like cutoff frequency, resonance, etc...  This is not true for parameters that affect the overall sound of the instrument, like keyboard volume.

--wpd

12 minutes ago, Patrick Doyle said:

...and my experience is that the knobs don't affect a newly selected tone.(*)  They only have an effect if I change them after selecting a new tone.

(*) ... for the parameters that affect tones, like cutoff frequency, resonance, etc...  This is not true for parameters that affect the overall sound of the instrument, like keyboard volume.

--wpd

Correct, as soon as you select a tone anything that has been done with the knobs previously is reset.