Video Files on Forum ×

.INS-instrument definitions for older Casios

Having just rediscovered the very powerful .ins file for my XW-P1-and renewing my interest and playability with it, I was curious re .ins files for other Casios, other than the ones being provided by Casio already. I cam across this post.....in the Cockos Reaper user group...

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=74237

And the creator of these describes the following Casios covered-he has one download which provides .ins files for all these. I have attached it-but it is a .zip file so may not be allowed as an download by your computer Since I also have a CDP, i was interested and will try this out. I did not even realize...Reaper also can use .ins files although I haven't tried it, and so can Anvil Studio-but it needs an extra program which is a paid add-on. Just passing it on.

And thanks again to Mike Martin, and Happy Rat for doing this original work.  A good deed sometimes get recognized, even for musicians!

CTK-4000, LK-270, & WK-200 (all use the same file)
CTK-5000, WK-500, & CDP-200R (all use the same file)
CTK-6000 & WK-6500 (both use the same file)
CTK-7000 & WK-7500 (both use the same file)

Casio_Instrument_Definition_Files_-_CTK-4000-5000-6000-7000_WK-200-500-6500-7500_LK-270_CDP-200R.zip

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Brad-did we have these posted already? I don't want to clutter up the server if this has already been posted-I couldn't find these, thought it would be helpful-noticed a big interest in the .ins files for the newest Casios. Also noticed-the .ins file definitions seem to be one of the few standards for mapping tones and bank change messages which are available for dozens of instruments-and have been around ever since Cakewalk first started. Takes me awhile to catch up sometimes.

If anyone wants to create .INS patch scripts for other Casio models (or modify existing patch scripts to include names for your own custom tones), it's really not too complicated of a process. The process itself can be as simple as basic text editing in WordPad, but knowing how to format your text is the tricky part. This guide is a good reference for getting started, at least for Cakewalk/Bandlab.

I've been thinking of doing a patch script file for the Casiotones as a fun side project, or perhaps adapting the CT-X800's patch scripts to match the CDP-S350 (it would only require a few extra lines of text for the handful of new piano tones on there, the Program change and bank select values are exactly the same otherwise).

Thanks Chandler-yes I had reviewed the Tweekheads directions-which is why I'm glad we already have some of these files available! The Casios seem to be fairly uniform in terms of the format, but go outside of that (look at the the example for the SY77-one of my other instruments) and it quickly becomes a little tough to keep straight! I just noticed I had already installed an .ins file for the PX560-and honestly, I don't even remember where I go it from! I don't think it's in the Casio website, but it works.

• 1 year later...
On 9/15/2020 at 2:28 PM, Jokeyman123 said:

Having just rediscovered the very powerful .ins file for my XW-P1-and renewing my interest and playability with it, I was curious re .ins files for other Casios, other than the ones being provided by Casio already. I cam across this post.....in the Cockos Reaper user group...

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=74237

And the creator of these describes the following Casios covered-he has one download which provides .ins files for all these. I have attached it-but it is a .zip file so may not be allowed as an download by your computer Since I also have a CDP, i was interested and will try this out. I did not even realize...Reaper also can use .ins files although I haven't tried it, and so can Anvil Studio-but it needs an extra program which is a paid add-on. Just passing it on.

And thanks again to Mike Martin, and Happy Rat for doing this original work.  A good deed sometimes get recognized, even for musicians!

CTK-4000, LK-270, & WK-200 (all use the same file)
CTK-5000, WK-500, & CDP-200R (all use the same file)
CTK-6000 & WK-6500 (both use the same file)
CTK-7000 & WK-7500 (both use the same file)

Casio_Instrument_Definition_Files_-_CTK-4000-5000-6000-7000_WK-200-500-6500-7500_LK-270_CDP-200R.zip 33.75 kB · 11 downloads

Do you have these for the older WK keyboards like the WK-1800? It would be nice to get a deeper look into what the ROM-plr wranglers decided to wrangle into them. 

I don't, and happy rat isn't in this group anymore, moved onto other user groups. If Mike Martin sees this post, he might know more about these. If the older wk1800 has a standard GM soundset, one of these other .ins files might work-at least for the basic GM sounds. Any "extended" extra sounds in different bank changes might not match but would probably be pretty close. Pianos, organs, strings, brass the standard basic GM soundsets are universal. The variations could present differences, and the drumkits are not always key-matched per sound. for example-my MC-505 is not GM and the many drumkits in it are all over the keymap-it is not GM standard, I cannot use this to play standard midi files. I would have to create my own .ins files from scratch. There used to be simple software that let one create a matching .ins file for anything you needed, and i recall it can be done with an "excel" type file but i haven't created one myself in quite awhile. These also used to be called ".idf"-instrument definition files. it's unfortunate that many DAWs do not use a universal file structure for creating these. The Cakewalk .ins standard was as close as I've come across. This is a really good article which might help you. Sound-On-Sound lately has been one of my "go-to" places for excellent archived articles re technical/musical tutorials. Good reviews too.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/sonar-using-instrument-definition-files