Video Files on Forum ×

Rhythm Conversions

Just Alex

Well, that's  a lot of work, but I suppose that worth the effort. I think it easier this than build those complex rythms from scratch. My plan is to start with my own Yamaha psr410 and try for myself. I'll try with the free version of Cakewalk and the converter. The Yamaha uses an old 1 intro , 1 ending and 2 variations,  so I expect I can handle... with patience and practice.

10 hours ago, Just Alex said:

For Yamaha styles (ones that are built-in into PSR E series and not available for download).

Using cakewalk pro audio 9 to record intro, fill in, variations separately into midi file, then assemble it as midi file and use converter.

Just to clarify, this step is not always necessary. On your old PSR-E413, it is, because that model has no way of copying preset styles into the expansion style slots (thus allowing you to export the style and convert the source .STY file directly to MIDI instead of having to record it all into a new MIDI sequence in a DAW like Cakewalk).

The ability to copy preset rhythms to expansion slots is usually reserved for models that have built in style editors. To use Casio as an example, the CT-X3000 has a Rhythm Editor, so it supports this functionality. The CT-X700 does not have a style editor, so it can only import Rhythms from an external source.

If you’re trying to archive the entirety of a certain model’s style library, it’s a bit tedious to copy the rhythms to an empty slot and then export them to a flash drive (I learned this when I archived all of the Rhythms on the CT-X3000). However, if you’re only looking to copy a few specific Rhythms from the PSR, then it’s definitely simpler to export the source .STY file from the keyboard itself and then convert that to MIDI directly without having to worry about recording the MIDI output “manually”.

@Manu_G has a newer PSR-EW410, but his model is also not capable of this preset .STY file export (unfortunately).

• Like 1

No Yamaha E-4xx series have ability to export built-in .sty file externally. Only way is to connect programmer to internal flash chip, and do firmware dump and extract it later. And there are some specific styles, like Organ High Life and some others, which are E-4xx series exclusive, and not available on Tyros or other keyboards.

• Like 1

Hello everyone...

Thank you for this information and your experiences... I knew things wouldn't be that simple.

I will try some tests this weekend. I think that for the "recent" styles, they are in SFF2 and that they must first be converted to SFF1 ...

Here's what I'm thinking of doing:

* use a PRS (or STY) style in SFF1, open it with Cubase.

* If the markers are well present, I'll modify the instruments associated with the voices, change the midi channel numbers, reduce the number of them for everything that fits with the Casio format.
* Then, i'll pass everything in the Excel file (not able to access the VBA code to see what it really does) .
* Finally, make one copy in CKF and one in AC7 (since the CTX accepts both).

If it works well, I'll do a test with a Tyros style (SFF2), but I'll have to change it to SFF1.

I know that even Yamaha users sometimes have trouble between the different keyboard models but there are resources on the web.

If you're interested:
- https://www.psrtutorial.com
- http://yamaha.eklablog.com/ (only in French)
- http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/

Later, we will see how to create a style from a midi file...

• Like 1

Ahem, just to make it clear, I have a 1992 psr410, so i don't think it have any kind of format to save... My idea is to plug the keyboard to the computer, press "play" on the keyboard and "rec" on the computer midi program, and arrange all  to the format of the casio rythm system.... I know it isn't as easy as it sound, but that was my idea... In any case Alex, yes, I will be very grateful if you can get me those styles. Don't  hurry, please, I still haven't got my new keyboard...(well, I'm still not even decided on it at 100%)... In any case, they are "Disco Pop", "Pop Shuffle" and "FolkRock".  By the way, is any way to play ac7 files on pc or android.  Thanks to all for your answers.

Here's the master list of most styles I do have - I have removed Geographically closer (Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Turkey, Russia, Iran) styles as much as I could. 

Despite having the similar file names, these styles are actually different sounding. Say 70sdisco.sty from PSR-540 and Tyros 2 are totally different ones.

These files won't be uploaded in any ways, however, you can ask me to convert chosen ones. I can not promise instant delivery, but I'll do it - for free. To get more familiar with these styles, please check information below.

File name has 2nd dot in it with letters and digits following (say rockfunk.s921.sty) - these come from Tyros or PSR-S series keyboards - having 4 variations, 3 intros, etc. Most likely, will have additional channels or effects. Might work well on Casio ,might not.

File name has no spaces in it, like 70sdisco1.sty - they originate from the older keyboards, with simple A/B variation and single intro/ending. Easiest to convert to Casio.

File name has spaces in it and (or) has some song name, like "a walk in the park.sty" - These are styles made from specific song midi files, and are better suited for that song. Can have 3 intros, no intros, 4 variations, 0 variations - god only knows :) how they will convert.

Files having "mega" in their name - these are styles suited to be used with MegaVoices - very less suited for Casio conversion.

list.zip

• Like 5

Thanks again for your work, Alex! Read your comments after goin to two music shops here in Barcelona. Couldn't try Ctx3k and ctx5k . Out of stock. Just curious info: both serve ctx3k only under request and ctx5k is out of stock and not very interested on asking for more as they dont sell very well(?). One of the reasons they told me is while ctx700 and 800 sell here very well in his segment, above 300€ customers go for yamaha,korg ,roland... Ek50 and pa300 top sellers here.... Online is easy to get but I still needed to try for myself before buy, so... My search continues...

Alex!

Good day, sir! I was looking thru your list. I found so many styles that would be marvelous for me. I grew up playing music from the 40-70s with most focus on the 50s and 60s. I had my Korg set up with good styles that I used to entertain Senior Citizens. I spent 40-50 years entertaining others in clubs...playing guitar but can no long do that because my hands are in bad shape to play a guitar. I took almost 2 yrs setting up my Korg so I could carry on and learned how to play it. I gave up working playing for groups  because of the pandemic. My music is country and oldies from the late 40s to mid 60s.  I don't care for most of Casio's styles as they relate to the new scene with a lot of distortion and sustain, growling guitars. 

I would love to obtain any of those styles you have that would fit that era....primarily swing, oldies R&R, country waltzes and ballads..8 beat. I would be honored to use what you could supply me with and they would be used to bless the lives of people who are elderly and miss those days.

Let me know what you could do for me, please. I am using a CT-X5000. 

Sincerely

Richard Mittan

Jerome ID USA

Well as said above, these styles are for Yamaha, and unfortunately, there is no way to automatically convert them to Casio. All available tools need considerable human involvement, because they rarely can properly determine correct key, location of intro/endings, and so on. This means a lot of time spent, so the best way I see now is that I'll convert couple of styles each weekend and post them here. Or maybe I should launch some crowdfunding campaign which will allow me to hire someone who could do all the job? never did any and have no idea how all that works. Meanwhile, here's a MegaVoice country shuffle style converted to Casio. Unlike most common styles, which have 1 measure looped pattern for each variation, this one has 8 measure patterns with complex arrangement. As usually, there is Intro, A variation, B variation, AA fill-in, BB fill-in and ending.

MegaCntShuffl.ac7

• Thanks 1

On 10/17/2020 at 4:11 PM, Just Alex said:

No problem, I'll do conversion whenever I'll have the time :) btw, there are over 30000 styles in my list, conversion can take a while :D :D :D  

Wow!! You definitely have a collection to work from. Good luck! Your efforts and talent are appreciated very much! Have a wonderful week!!

RickyLee

Here's a snippet from a premium style, which I've created from the scratch. It uses X3000/5000 sounds instead of GM sounds and has some nice panning added. It has Intro, main, main/main, variation, variation/variation and ending. Final (commercial) version will have 2 more variations and fill-ins and 1 more backing track (this one has 4 chording tracks). This style is specially created for Ricci e poveri - "Mamma Maria" song. (80's Italian disco pop, for ones who have no idea about the band or song)

maria5.ac7

• Thanks 1