Video Files on Forum ×

Harmony line in perfect 4ths

Rusty

Hi gurus, I want to play a (fast) live line that is harmonised in perfect 4ths.

Can I play it? Yes I can? Will I fluff it if I haven’t practiced it recently? Probably.

Is there an on board voice that already does this?

Or should I select a voice, de-tune Upper Part 2 by  a 4th and save it in my voice bank?

Thanks in advance & apology if this is already covered. Appreciate the forum’s knowledge bank and sharing spirit.

Gordon

Or hex layer 2 layers, set to perfect 4ths, save as new hex layer tone. I'll have to check but must be  a single tone in the synthesizer bank with 4ths, although the p5 interval has always been the one more commonly used for leads with older progressive rock. Or do what McCoy Tyner perfected-voice all your chords in 4ths for comping-keeps your tonality pretty loose. 

• Like 1

The hex layer idea above is what I would use. I did a similar thing for a jazz group I was in years ago. In the middle of the Weather Report tune Birdland, there is a descending line of diminished chords starting on Ddim with the 3rd on top. I had to do it with my left hand because my right hand was busy doing something else (easy there :) ) and I was having trouble with accuracy. So I created a patch that consisted of the diminished chord from a single key strike. Worked great. The keyboard I used was an Ensoniq SD-1. Wish I still had that. :(   

Funny Dave you mention the SD-1-I have just resurrected my old TS-12-along with its 500+ page manual! Sitting next to my PX560 now. I had forgotten what a monster this was and is. Have 8MB SIMMs in it-and the upgraded sequencer memory. The sound quality-even after many years-wow it is crystal clear. I kept it because the orchestral sounds on this-still better than most virtual or soundfont sounds. Casio is wise to market what they have the way they do-keeping in business-can't upgrade anything or give any musical support to anyone if you can't.

Weather Report-must have been a pretty good lineup to cover Birdland. I kept my Weather Report vinyls-still very playable. always loved Teentown, a Remark You Made-and what great musicians went through this band. Pastorious, Zawinul, Shorter, Erskine so many others. Keyboard companies incorporated the "reverse scale tuning" because Zawinul used it on I think an ARP to play backwards runs. I remember the first time I saw and heard this-but then some gigs I've played-sounded like the other guys were playing backwards sometimes! Remarkable how easy it was to turn a disco beat into a polka, with the right (wrong) musicians. Think about it, i heard it first...live during a New Year's Eve gig. funniest part-we went with it-and the people started dancing to the polka! I am not kidding, they thought we did it on purpose. I blamed it on the guitarist, who played rhythm guitar on the downbeat instead of the upbeat (yeah!) and threw all of us off. After a few measures, and once people started dancing, we had to go with it until the end. Amazingly we played there many times after that (Wayne Manor, NJ wedding factory-ah good times!

37 minutes ago, Jokeyman123 said:

Funny Dave you mention the SD-1-I have just resurrected my old TS-12-along with its 500+ page manual! Sitting next to my PX560 now. I had forgotten what a monster this was and is. Have 8MB SIMMs in it-and the upgraded sequencer memory. The sound quality-even after many years-wow it is crystal clear. I kept it because the orchestral sounds on this-still better than most virtual or soundfont sounds. Casio is wise to market what they have the way they do-keeping in business-can't upgrade anything or give any musical support to anyone if you can't.

Weather Report-must have been a pretty good lineup to cover Birdland. I kept my Weather Report vinyls-still very playable. always loved Teentown, a Remark You Made-and what great musicians went through this band. Pastorious, Zawinul, Shorter, Erskine so many others. Keyboard companies incorporated the "reverse scale tuning" because Zawinul used it on I think an ARP to play backwards runs. I remember the first time I saw and heard this-but then some gigs I've played-sounded like the other guys were playing backwards sometimes! Remarkable how easy it was to turn a disco beat into a polka, with the right (wrong) musicians. Think about it, i heard it first...live during a New Year's Eve gig. funniest part-we went with it-and the people started dancing to the polka! I am not kidding, they thought we did it on purpose. I blamed it on the guitarist, who played rhythm guitar on the downbeat instead of the upbeat (yeah!) and threw all of us off. After a few measures, and once people started dancing, we had to go with it until the end. Amazingly we played there many times after that (Wayne Manor, NJ wedding factory-ah good times!

Ya' gotta love a good '70's polka. :) Speaking of off-beat... I do a Harry Connick Jr. song called Come By Me. I had never heard it before, but I came across a video of a concert in France and picked it up. Pay very close attention at around 40 seconds into the song. "and a one, and a three"

clonk here

42 minutes ago, Jokeyman123 said:

Great chops-that old Doctor John (RIP big man) groove-French Quarter always loved the Bourbon St. New Orleans style. Thanks-and yeah, I'm a musician, not a mathemetician, dammit Captain! I mean a doctor, not a magician Kirk! 

I loved it when the drummer threw his hand up when Harry added two beats to get the crowd clapping on two and four.

Rusty, sorry to veer off your topic. So, I'm curious as to what song you are doing that requires 4ths. If it is your own tune, then never mind. But if it's a cover, I thought it might be fun to try and guess what it is.

Guess #1- The marimba part in the intro to Africa by Toto.

Jokeyman123, you're turn.

Countless songs and hooks used sus4-technically not a parallel 4th used in succession as did Tyner and countless others going for that oriental or African sound-I remember my theory professor years back used Beatles songs to illustrate their unusual use of certain harmonies in parallel. Can't remember which. 

Aja-I think solo in the middle of the song-marimba or xylophone hook. Also fanfare for the Common Man by ELP-I think Emerson's quote of the theme at the intro is 4ths-thought it was fifths but listening again-sounds like 4ths. He did that for many lead lines, and fifths. Just tuned 2 oscillators a 4th or 5th apart for leads.

21 minutes ago, Rusty said:

OK - not sure how to do the detune.

Thought it was Select Tone (e.g. hex100) / Edit / Pitch / Detune - but not altering the pitch

Manual isn't clear - do you have a 101 "steps 1-10 how-to" for this on the PX560?

Press edit>advanced>layer>choose a layer>pitch>course tune, adjust until the layer reaches a 4th.  

Awesome & thanks!

For completeness I had a slightly different path to get there, based on initially selecting Hex100 (Africa) as the tone.

edit (at the voice screen)>edit>layer>layer2>pitch>coarse tune (-5 on layer 2)

This gave me the voice in 4ths, sounds great.  Now saved as my Africa4ths voicing.

I'm running Firmware 01.10, which may account for the pathing difference.

Again, thanks so much, really appreciated.

• Like 1