Video Files on Forum ×

Creating a Hex Layer

DaveMcM

Is there a way to copy a regular preset and all of its parameters to the first layer (and second layer in the case of stereo sampled piano, etc.) of a Hex Preset in order to then add additional layers? Example: Grand Piano layered with Rhodes, Strings, and whatever else. Then control various layers with expression pedal, the assignable knobs, etc.

Thanks,

Dave

Grand piano preset tones are larger tones than a hex layer tone.  If the grand piano presets offered wave level editing like a hex layer tone does, you would actually see 8 layers, so it's not entirely possible to put a grand piano preset tone into a single layer of a hex layer tone.  You can choose a single element of a grand piano tone for use in a hex layer.  You'll find 8 grand piano waves to choose from, comprised of 4 velocity layers of samples, left and right channels to make stereo.  In order to import the preset parameters for a grand piano wave, you'll want to make sure "initialize (int) by wave" is turned on in system settings.  

• Like 2

Thanks Brad, that helps. I was trying to quickly throw together a layer of acoustic and tines piano along with a string pad sound at church last Sunday but realized it would take too long to try to do it on the fly. I think what I was missing was the "initialize by wave" parameter. I'll try it on my own PX-560 tonight and then load it into the PX-560 at church.

Thanks again,

Dave

In the main menu-could substituting a grand piano with a string sound on upper 1  (there are preset tones like this already) and then on upper 2 put whatever tine piano you want there, solve the problem? You could easily use the "balance" screen to set individual upper 1 and 2 tones to mix these however you need to, then save this setting as a registration. Just an alternative idea-would be alot less work if this is a good enough solution. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

In the main menu-could substituting a grand piano with a string sound on upper 1  (there are preset tones like this already) and then on upper 2 put whatever tine piano you want there, solve the problem? You could easily use the "balance" screen to set individual upper 1 and 2 tones to mix these however you need to, then save this setting as a registration. Just an alternative idea-would be alot less work if this is a good enough solution. 

ADDED- I re-read your idea. Yes that would work but I'd like to be able to control strings volume separately.

---

Except that I'm looking to layer 3 separate sounds. Acoustic piano, Rhodes and a string pad. Then control volume of the Rhodes and string pad by assigning expression pedal to the string pad layer and a knob to the Rhodes layer. So 3 layers, hence having to create a Hex layer. On the other hand, if there were a way to trick the lower 1/2 layers to play across the entire key range, that would solve the problem.

One thought is putting MIDI to use. Connecting MIDI Out directly back to MIDI In and setting the keyboard transmit channel to 3 which is the channel locked onto Lower 1. Looking at the manual, it would seem there is no need to turn Local Off since the MIDI In channels are locked and the keyboard only transmits on a single channel. Hmm'?'

Edited by DaveMcM
  • Like 1

Options.  You could put piano in upper 1 and use a hex layer in upper 2 with the other 2 sounds.  If you want to use the MIDI loop back method, the MIDI in port setting can help.  Set it to B.  With that, upper 1 will control A1 and B1.  Upper 2 will control A2 and B2.  You'll end up with 4 upper parts.  The only real issue may be registering the tones you want for the B parts and easily controlling the volumes of B parts.  

• Like 2