Video Files on Forum ×

NAMM Believe in music 2021

@Chandler Holloway- this I find very exciting news:

Screenshot_20210126-124956.thumb.png.756d60a0b9da75e15d3faeba0f11ce0f.png

Ever since I got my CT-S300, I have long felt that this panel was crying out for four assignable MIDI knobs.

IMG_20210126_125102.thumb.jpg.411408f507b95ace2797f72ad81e5bc7.jpg

I use my CT-S as my DAW keyboard, and it does an excellent job with its five octave velocity keyboard and pitch bend wheel. I do wish though that it had extra knobs that I could assign to my DAW/ VSTs, and a mod wheel/ button would also be a welcome addition. Maybe my wishes are about to be granted? 🤔

• Like 2

All fired up for casio-tone come on guys , really. 

I know I know but that's not how the market works

Every casio series has its own realm to provide musical

instrument for.  

Casio-tone steps in entry level no way it will act as an high level 

product, Noooo. However these CTS rocks looks and sound with 

a good headphone or speaker. I love the guesses though I really do. 

• Like 1

We get another Casiotone.  Don't get me wrong.  I think these are great additions for the educational and DAW user communities.

Seems like Casio hasn't applied much innovation towards more technically ambitious keyboards like the PX-5, PX-560, and MZ-X500.  These were great boards when they hit the streets.  If you're shopping to replace them due to wear or age, you are forced to look outside of Casio.  The MZ-X500 is fast disappearing from availability anywhere.  The PX-560, like the MZ-X500 has been withdrawn from certain markets.  They seem to be retreating from mid range products and doubling down on the low end stuff.  Maybe Casio wants to stick with what they know best, inexpensive learning keyboards, leaving the rest of the market to the other players.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Synthwave said:

Do you see any midi din input or output? I do not see it. You can already get an idea of how serious and professional a Casiotone can be.

It has class compliant USB MIDI. Many manufacturers (Yamaha for one), not just Casio, are dropping MIDI DIN sockets from their new models in favour of USB MIDI. 

I mean, we could always reserve judgment on the MIDI implementation until we actually see it for ourselves. I would think that, at the very least, the red/black model will have some extra attention paid to the MIDI features since the trailer seems to indicate that bedroom studio producers are part of the target audience.

2 hours ago, Synthwave said:

Yamaha omits the midi din only in the cheap psre series and in the psrs 600 series which is mid-range .... in high-end it does not omit anything.

Casio does the same. All the high end products aimed at the pro-level have DIN-MIDI. The Grand Hybrids and the AP-710, the PX-560, the MZ-X500, the XW-P1/G1, they all have DIN-MIDI. The only model I can think of that should arguably have DIN-MIDI given its price point is the PX-S3000, but even then, it's an all-in-one stage piano without a powerful sequencer so I'm not sure it would have all that much need for outboard control options (unlike the PX-5S or PX560). The CT-X models are mid-range models, substantially more affordable than even the PSR-S670 (the lowest model PSR-S), and half as expensive as the recently announced PSR-SX600, and yet they all only have USB-MIDI. You don't see DIN-MIDI appear until the PSR-SX700, which has an MSRP of $2000. That's not mid range anymore, not by a long shot.

I think you're overestimating the demand for DIN-MIDI on general-purpose keyboards in the sub $500 market. If Casio designs a product aimed at users who really need stuff like DIN-MIDI, they will include it. But the kinds of users who have lots of other gear they want to sync up are 1) willing to invest more money into buying pro-level gear and 2) much more discerning about the specs and feature set, so the products aimed at these types of musicians will naturally carry a higher price point and more advanced functionality to go along with it.

44 minutes ago, Synthwave said:

... a model that does not have a midi din and a midi clock to integrate it with other equipment, is not professional or serious, you are saying it yourself.

3 hours ago, Synthwave said:

I find it a joke that you consider the usb midi as something professional.

5 hours ago, Synthwave said:

You can already get an idea of how serious and professional a Casiotone can be.

On 1/25/2021 at 11:52 PM, Synthwave said:

Seriously, a Casiotone? Let's say I expected something more "serious"....

I think we know your opinion.  😉

I will say this; if it weren't for products like the PX-5, PX-560, and the MZ-X500, I'd be rolling with Yamaha, Roland, or Korg.  I can afford to go there but stuck with Casio becuase they seemed to always punch above their weight.

A WK-3200 (which I still have for a little longer) made me give Casio a chance.  It served to get me out a low end Yamaha arranger and I bought 3 consecutive Casios since then.  

Casio can sell all the gateway products they want but if they don't have something for users to grow into, all they are doing is helping to train future Korg, Yamaha, Kawai, Nord, Roland, and Kurzweil users.  Casiotone is a gateway product.  Not a destination.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Synthwave said:

It is normal that in a conversation about a certain topic, you have to repeat yourself several times in the same thing. I have not dedicated myself to opening threads to express my opinion I simply answer because they quote me.

Well, you don't HAVE to repeat yourself that much. If you do it the way you do it gets rather annoying. If you really don't like what Casio is doing now, then what in the world are you doing here?

8 hours ago, Synthwave said:

Ahhh, I see ... so I have to like everything Casio does to be here. The 5 casios I have are not important? Criticism without insults and politely is not well received, right?.Honestly, there are times that fanatic users are the ones that sometimes take away your desire to belong to a group or buy from a specific manufacturer.

Nah got the same sentiment would get feisty as well with excitement. But the silly part is its all about seeing a glimpse of Casiotone 😂🤣😂🤣 there nothing there yet to get railed up about  😂. It is exciting that at least that is coming. 

18 hours ago, Synthwave said:

That is precisely what I mean, the vast majority of this forum want something more than an entry model, at least something on the level of the ctx 3000-5000.

Yes, it really would be nice if Casio had a synthesizer not lower than the MZ X500 level and with a large touch screen, at least 7 inches. Because we play, we grow and we want something more, but now Casio cannot offer anything in this regard and we have to look in the direction of Yamaha, Korg, Roland ...

16 hours ago, casio_style said:

Yes, it really would be nice if Casio had a synthesizer not lower than the MZ X500 level and with a large touch screen, at least 7 inches. Because we play, we grow and we want something more, but now Casio cannot offer anything in this regard and we have to look in the direction of Yamaha, Korg, Roland ...

Hold on with the "We". I believe there is well enough room with the CTX there still synthesis in there, It is a pity  MZ X500 and 300 aren't available. But there still is the PX5S and PX560 to look for I wouldn't write them off so quickly. 

And the PX1000 and PX3000 are top notch, Do also not forget CDP S100 and such sleek slim design with a punch. 

The design alone of the latest Casiotones and PX1000/3000 especially CDP S100 is beautiful and fantastic.  Realize what Casio has done here.  Me I can only fantasize the synth engine of the PX5S in a CDP form factor with 61 key's I would go crazy with joy. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As me me, I own a Casio PX-5S and a Casio PX-560 and formerly owned a Casio PX-360.  I bought my daughter a cheaper Casio board to learn on years ago and she liked it.  Before I started buying Casio boards, I owned a bunch of Yamaha synths including the big and heavy S-90 and even a PSR 2100.   I really thought the PX-5S was a great board but I had some "no media" problems that scared me to death even with the so-called fix with the patch which worked and then it didn't on more than one occasion.  I actually bought the PX-560 as a temporary board hoping that Casio would update the PX-5S in a big way.  It never happened.  I still gig a little with the PX-560 and like it for what it is.  I played the PX3000 once in a live jam situation and it didn't float my boat at all.  Of course, I was playing a Yamaha Clavinova and a real Hammond at the jam and that might have been part of the problem.  I thought the board was a toy in comparison to what I was playing.  When Casio refused to come out with a pro board to replace the PX-5S, it temporarily lost me as a customer.  I enjoy the action on the PX-560 and would love for a serious pro board replacement.  I don't need or want auto accompaniment or other band in the box gimmicks.  What I want are playable bread and butter sounds and a decent interface for layering and splitting sounds.  The PX-5S community had a bunch of great sound patches.  That added to the value of the board.   Weight has always been my issue.  When Casio made a decent 26 pound 88 key weighted action board which fit in the backseat of my car, that was the best.  I am willing to pay more for a more professional Casio board which still keeps the weight and size down.    

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Casio keyboards are way too expensive here in France. The CT-S400 will be more than 300€ (ha ha ha) while the Yamaha PSR-E373 is less than 200€ and the PSR-E463 less than 300€.

CT-X700 is around 250€ ! The CT-X800 is almost 300€, the CT-X3000 is around 350€ and the CT-X5000 is almost 450€ !!!

The CT-X700/800 have a keybed of very low quality so it's juste a shame !

Dont know about the quality of the keybed on the CT-X3000/5000 but for the asking price, it must be perfect !

The Casiotone seem to have better keybed, so I want a CT-S3000 !

I have no idea why Casio have decided to be more expensive than Yamaha on the French market, while it is often the opposite in other countries.

I really love the CT-X3000 but I'm too worried about its build quality, I can't make up my mind to buy one...

23 hours ago, pquenin said:

Casio keyboards are way too expensive here in France. The CT-S400 will be more than 300€ (ha ha ha) while the Yamaha PSR-E373 is less than 200€ and the PSR-E463 less than 300€.

If you are in PACA, when the pandemic ends, the solution is simple. Come in Italy and go either to Scavino in Turin or to Merula in Roreto di Cherasco. 🙂

Tough market, keyboards and pianos. Seen any new Steinway stores around lately?

IMO, there is a place for a Casio in a variety of contexts, pro, amateur, hobbyist, beginner, experimental (if you pick up an old Casio to circuit-bend-an entire category right there.) I too would like to see the next flagship Casio-but I am seeing a rather disturbing trend with the majors-and I think Casio has cut into the pro market enough that i now see a monkey-see, monkey do approach.

I have been studying the newest lightweight, hammer action boards for example-Kurzweil, Roland primarily at this point although iImight have missed Yamaha and Korg in this trend of manufacture, i think the 88-key Modx is pretty lightweight. The newer Roland DS-88 has been around awhile-the newest Kurzweils-the SP6, the 2000 dollar PC4-all are now competing in the same weight range as the PX360/560/PX-S Casios. Medeli has a new cheap weighted-action lightweight piano. As a part-time repair tech I am not entirely thrilled with what I'm seeing inside some of these newer weighted boards.

As a pro always looking for something substantial and willing to pay more if new features warrant it-the choices are narrowing as even the biggest players seem to be cheapening some of their "flagship" products-but maintaining stellar prices for the Kronos, Montages, Kurzweil Forte's, Roland RD's etc. I'm keeping my XW-P1 and PX560 alongside some pretty heavyweight workstations I own for now-and would only trade up if Casio were to put some kind of new workstation combining the best features of the best keyboards they've come up with because the 560 covers alot of ground for now-but I am probably a very small part of the market, and Casio can't survive I guess on a relatively small group of musicians like me-especially since it is so hard to pull away the high-roller Kurzweil, Roland, Korg etc. fanatics who have been playing the same brands for upwards of 2 decades now who are unlikely to switch over to Casio completely-but like me, are giving one-two of Casio's better boards a place in their musical armor for gigs, production or just fun. 

It looks like Casio is done developing for the pro market. I assume they are still seeing good profit from the PX5S, PX560, and MZX500 so nothing has been updated. Meanwhile they've gone back to their core market making inexpensive home keyboards which they've been doing for decades successfully. The new Casiotone CT-S1 looks like it will be another hit with the AIX sound chip and some new sounds. I expect Casio will sell a ton of these at the $200 pricepoint. These sound verv professional for such an inexpensive board. Not sure what other company will enter this market to compete.

On 1/27/2021 at 11:53 PM, Chandler Holloway said:

I think you're overestimating the demand for DIN-MIDI on general-purpose keyboards in the sub $500 market. If Casio designs a product aimed at users who really need stuff like DIN-MIDI, they will include it. But the kinds of users who have lots of other gear they want to sync up are 1) willing to invest more money into buying pro-level gear and 2) much more discerning about the specs and feature set, so the products aimed at these types of musicians will naturally carry a higher price point and more advanced functionality to go along with it.

There are a lot of 61-keys master keyboard under the $500 range, by M-Audio, Arturia, Novation and others. There are some expanders made by Roland, Behringer and others that are also in the under $500 range.

Now Casio is known and loved for thee weird mashed up products, like the Casio KX-101

Now, makin a Master Keyboard wirh Midi-USB and MIDI-DIN combo with a mice low cost instrument is a thing I expect from Casio. Actually Viscount/Oberhem with the Viva/MC1000 did that thing. Basically they made a master keyboard, put in parallel to the midi out connector a waveblaster compatible socket.

Edited by mike71
Explanation

4 hours ago, Mike Martin said:

We never said we'd announce them all at once. ;)

My thought exactly. So much hand-wringing and yet it appears you aren’t done yet! Also, please don’t make me purchase a fourth new Casio keyboard this year :lol: I’m already selling a bunch of unused gear on Reverb to make room (physically and in the wallet!) for what’s on order. 

• Like 3

I've only ever sold/ parted with one of my Casios, and that was only because it was a duplicate that I bought simply to poach one of its knobs from to complete the set on the same model I already had that was missing one (my CT 403). Asides from giving mine a complete set, the one I sold fetched 6 times what I originally paid for it thanks to an eBay bidding war!

Saying that, if this yet to be announced 'studio' based CT-S model ticks all the boxes, I would seriously consider part exchanging my current CT-S300 for one!

Remember if you're old enough to-several of the tour-de-force Casios back when were the "CT" series-CT6500, CT6000 and i think the CT5500? these were very impressive Casios back then-certainly not cut-down versions of anything-as some of you are only now discovering how powerful these were. So another CT with some pretty advanced design ideas-maybe a new flagship CT? Certainly. Still looking for May-June release? Check out this review of the 1986 CT6500...very interesting.....

https://sonicstate.com/synth_reviews/casio_ct-6500/

Arte1.jpg

• Like 2