Video Files on Forum ×

PX-S3000 Froze Again

shep

Hi All,

I sound like a broken record, however, yesterday at a jazz gig whilst  backing a female vocalist my keyboard froze as I was changing registrations from soloing to comping.

It was dead for 16 bars until I turned it off and on again . No further problems that gig.

I have read all the previous posts with suggestions about possible causes for failure. I do not believe it is a power issue as it has happened at many different locations. I still  believe  that the there is a fault with either software or the hardware chips so that the keyboard does not  handle the processing demand and either freezes or turns off. I have noted many other users complaining of  "strange" states  8th May 2019, 12,16,27,31, August 2020.

I am concerned that a "new" model is now out, the PX-S3100 after only 2 years with what appears to be very little external change.

Has Casio fixed the problems that I am experiencing by releasing a new model with redesigned innards.

I also own a PX-560M , released in 2015 with no new models for this keyboard. My PX-560M has always been fine.

I find the PX-560M is great for  controller and midi functions. The PX-S3000 has great sounds and a terrific action but lacks many refinements that a giging  musician needs eg, dedicated transpose button, rotary control via a pedal and of paramount importance , reliability. 

If Casio could guarantee that the new PX-S3100 would not freeze up or turn off or do strange things I would buy one immediately. You may ask why not use PX-560M?

Well the action of the PX-S3000 suits me best playing jazz and the piano sounds  can be tweaked to  a great degree. 

I'm sorry you've had this problem, especially on a gig!

Has a company ever said, "this new model is guaranteed to never freeze nor crash"? Only if it's an acoustic piano. ;) 

I must admit, I find it a little funny that you say that you're concerned about the new model being out after "only two years," when people often post saying "they haven't released anything new for two years!" I understand what you're getting at, but I'm sure Casio isn't trying to leave users of previous models out in the cold if there are bugs they can fix.

Have you tried reproducing this freeze? I'd suggest trying to remember what you did at the gig including playing and see if you can make it happen again at home of course. If you can recreate it and come up with steps that lead to the freeze, then Casio should be able to reproduce it as well and then fix it, as long as the model can be updated. If for some reason it cannot be fixed, then the next best thing would be knowing the cause and avoiding it. If you know that step X, Y, then Z will do this, maybe skipping one of the steps or doing it differently will keep it from doing that.

Well I know my problem is not related to a home made pedal, since I don't have a home made pedal.  What once happened maybe twice a year now happens every time I turn on the keyboard and play it for a few minutes, namely, it will suddenly lose volume (only from key presses, not from auto accompaniment or recording playback).  After I power off and back on the volume returns. Has anyone else experienced this?   

Hi Brad and Joe, this is  not related to my fiddling , the device I put on the knobs is purely mechanical and can be removed easily. The recent problem with this new keyboard also occurred , at home, before the rotary control unit was added. The freeze has occurred randomly each time on rapid changes of registration . I have adjusted the touch screen sensitivity to minimum to see is that changes anything. 

Thanks for your input it is appreciated. I reiterate that this is an electronic problem , again, why do we have a "new" model released?

Hi Brad, been through all that . This is the second keyboard after the first one was eventually replaced under warranty.

I know it sounds like a sob story ,however, it has happened and I'm sure it will happen again. I would like to know if with the new model, changes have been made to the electronics and software controlling the keyboard?

I have had a career of 55 years owning a great variety of keyboards,Hammond, Hohner  Pianet, Yamaha, Roland, Korg, Arturia, Fatar, Casio PX-3, PX-5S and now PX-560M and PX-S3000. In that time, until now, I have never had a keyboard failure whilst playing. My Roland RD-300SX did  require new contacts due to corrosion, which I replaced myself. I hope I stimulate others to report these glitches although given there is a new model I don't expect any thing can be done.

Sorry, I'm sure the operating system of the new models is similar (doubt they'd start from zero when they had a similar model already) but if they fixed this issue it hasn't been said.

Can you either describe how to make the freeze happen or make a video showing you getting to that point? I have a PX-S3000 and would like to see if I can reproduce it.

Hi Joe and others interested. I have spent many hours to try to capture the problem and have succeeded . I set up my phone and ran the video whilst changing banks and registrations at random. The result was I captured the keyboard freezing and then a few seconds later turning off . This is exactly the same problem I experienced at the gig last Saturday. When restarted the keyboard was normal. As I stated previously the current keyboard is a  "new one" replaced under warranty because the first one was doing exactly the same thing! I love the action and sounds of this keyboard but as a professional player I cannot afford for this to happen. Comments and advice welcome.

@shep,

Sorry for the trouble you're having, unfortunately your video doesn't show how it froze...just the fact that it did. 

I wish you were here in the USA as I'd be in a position to help you. I can tell you that aside from your posts, I've never seen or hear about anything like this and we have many professionals using PX-S3000's out on gigs currently (gigs have returned for many of them thankfully).

I think you should speak to your dealer and or the local Casio distributor about the issue. Hopefully they can get you sorted. 

Random thought...is this the SAME power adapter?  This would seem to be power related to cause this kind of issue. 

Hi Mike ,the keyboard froze immediately on changing registrations.The video shows bank 2 area 2 which worked fine then changed to bank 3 and immediately it froze.   

It then turns off in a couple of seconds. I have  changed the power source and am convinced this is not the problem as this is the second keyboard with the same problem.

I calculate on a typical gig I would do 50 registration changes. To produce the video failure I had to go through many cycles of registration change (100's). However, because the failure is at random it could happen after one registration change.

I feel it is CPU problem and as we all know computers are notorious for intermittent  problems. I don't think that Casio would give me another keyboard under warranty, and I expect the same thing would happen again. I may have to save my meagre pennies and buy a more reliable brand. I'll be interested to see what happens with the "new" model. Thanks for your moderation of this site it is invaluable for the users.

Thanks Mike, yesterday I saved all data , did a factory reset and turned off all settings I don't use, like auto resume. I will notify our local distributor so the problem is on record. NSW in  Oz is currently in lockdown again so gigs have dried up.

No luck with the factory reset. Froze this morning,  at home, while changing registrations. Same problem, no sound then it switches off! Does anyone on the forum with a PX-S3000 live in Australia, maybe our power supply is the cause , although I doubt it. Any comments welcome, "old shep"  getting older every failure!

2 nights ago the line out signal on my PX-S3000 went to near zero with the volume knob at 100%. A power reset fixed the problem. This was the first time it has happened to me, but I see that some others on the forum have experienced it. I was jamming with some friends and they were like "Whoa man, that's messed up!"

I have had the "strange state" issue crop up several times--as if a random bank registration was recalled--split, layered, electric piano with strings when I as playing grand acoustic piano. Again, a power cycle fixed the issue.

Not asking for help... Just wanted to add my report to the growing body of evidence that there are hardware/software problems with a few of these units. Maybe there'll be a factory recall for a certain range of serial numbers someday?

One more thing, I've been unable to duplicate the problems at will. They are just too random and intermittent.

I'm considering playing through a midi module to guard against this happening at a paid gig. I love the action and touch of this keyboard so much and want to keep it!

Best Regards to all!

Thanks Hank, I like your idea of a batch recall, I hadn't thought of the problem being related to certain batch? I've discovered I can replicate my failure by rapidly changing registrations and when I get the chance I'll demonstrate this to the Casio warranty technician. Currently we are in lockdown again so no gigs . 

I've also had this problem and just dropped off my keyboard for service (still under warranty). It happens when I have the volume turned up very high and have been playing for 90 minutes or longer. I've been able to replicate the problem and record it on my phone. I really hope it can be fixed because it had affected 2 live gigs so far.  Perhaps some internal component is overheating (just a guess). 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,  my PX- S3000 continues to fail randomly. I have had it assessed by a Casio Warranty Technician and the motherboard will be replaced. The thought is that it could be a tiny error in the programming code. Still waiting for the part....here's hoping?