Video Files on Forum ×

Real piano sound

titochamp

There are several factors that make it difficult to respond helpfully to this question.  Different people look for different characteristics in their preferred piano sound.  Different digital piano companies sample different piano brands with different sampling setups and techniques.  The Privia itself relies on external gear, like amps and headphones (also with different available brands and specs) to turn that sound into an audible signal.  Even after I've found my preferred piano tone, if I'm playing through headphones, I tend to prefer different settings than if I'm playing through speakers.

Can you be specific about what you like or don't like about the piano sounds?

Personally, I prefer a brighter piano sound.  Lately, I've been using the BritePiano preset tone with the high end EQ dialed down a touch.  I also find that adding a little Early Reflection DSP gives it more of a "live presence".  A little reverb is always helpful to "liven up" the sound, too.

• Like 1

Thank you for your responses. Regarding "jaspeter"'s question. What I look in a piano sound is that when I close my eyes, the sound will remind me of a piano being played. Not a synthesizer.

in regard to Brad Saucier's response, I would like to know how I install the downloadable piano layer into my Casio Privia. I have a guess, but I rather know for sure.  Thanks, again.

• 2 weeks later...

Tito-what kind of piano do you want it to sound like? An upright-a console, a grand, an upright grand? A cheap used, beat-up out of tune console? A Steinway, Bosendorfer, Wurlitzer, Yamaha, Kawai, or other big-name? A 6 foot, 8 foot, 12 foot grand? Maybe a spinet, smaller piano? You are never going to get the dynamic range out of any digital that you get with a true acoustic, no matter what you do, in my experience.

What style of music are you playing? Jazz, pop, classical, (Beethoven period) Romantic-Chopin, Lizst, Rachmaninoff, etc. ? Earliest pianos with no or limited dynamic range? The early "digital" grands such as the Yamaha CP70 that were a combination of real strings and electronics? If it's the action you don't like-the response of the keys-you're not going to get it-unless you buy a more expensive digital such as the GP Casios or another brand that uses an actuall escapement mechanism designed almost exactly like a real acoustic, which feels different from any digital action I've played as the hammer releases from the string. And if you are missing the huge soundstage you get from playing in a concert hall with a good open grand-well you need to play a good open grand in a huge concert hall.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...