Video Files on Forum ×

PX-S1100 included Bluetooth adapter refusing to connect via Bluetooth MIDI

mrdinkle

Hi! So I recently bought a Casio Privia PX-S1100 and one of the reasons I got it was the included WU-BT10 allowing me to do MIDI over Bluetooth. However, when I try to pair two devices over the WU-BT10 MIDI device, my host device does not complete the pairing. The keyboard rings the "connection successful" sound, but my host device stays on "Pairing..." until it times out and the connection drops.

I've tried this on my desktop, my laptop (both running Windows 10), and my phone (an LG G7 running Android 10). Conversely if I try to pair with the Bluetooth Audio feature and the WU-BT10 AUDIO device, everything works as intended and I can use the keyboard as a speaker. I've checked the manuals for both devices and the Casio Canadian Support Centre but the support centre redirected me here stating that they can't be of further help.

Would anyone know what might be happening or if I'm missing a step on the process? Thank you! I may return to the store I bought the keyboard from and ask if I can try the module on other Casio devices to see if it's an issue with the keyboard.

Although the MIDI connection does show up in the pairing menu in Android, pairing is done within the app you use.  The Android Bluetooth pairing menu is only used for audio.  Make sure Bluetooth is enabled on your phone before beginning.  Plug in the Bluetooth adapter, power on the piano, then open Chordana Play for Piano on your Android phone.  Go to connection setting in the app and tap on Bluetooth MIDI Device, then tap on the adapter name.  It should connect and give a successful message. 

Unfortunately I'm not aware of any workarounds to use the BT MIDI connection on this adapter with Windows, although BT audio does work well.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Same thing happening with my pxs-1100, my Samsung s9, and pixel XL both cannot connect thru Bluetooth at all, it just fails to pair and plays the arpeggio tune. The chordana app also doesn't scan/can't find the WU-BT10 MIDI device at all.

This really sucks since I chose this one over the pxs-1000 for the upgraded Bluetooth capabilities... Will just be trying to use the app with a USB c to b connection

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I had a problem connecting wu-bt10 midi adapter (on CASIO PX-S1100) to phone in Chordana Play for Piano. It was necessary to enable the location on the phone. By default, I have it turned off, I turn it on only when necessary. I allowed the application access to the location, but did not include the location itself. When I turned it on, the adapter immediately appeared in the list Bluetooth Midi Device and the connection was successful.

Edited by SergeyVA
remark

• 6 months later...

I have Casio PX-S1100, I just installed on mobile the new app "Casio Music Space".

At first attempt, BT MIDI connected and remote control functions worked.

The I switched off, when I was back ... no way to connect anymore!

It confirms that it is connected but when trying the remote control it shows the message "This function requires a connection to a compatible digital piano".

So the same kind of problems with the old app Chordana, no way.

Extremely disappointed.

• 3 weeks later...

@Brad Saucier: yes, I managed to make it work again, but I confirm that the connection management is weak.

You should not be obliged to restart piano (and in any case it could not work, as I told)

Also the fact that it confirms connected but than it does not work means that something must be fixed (and the message that I don't have a compatible piano is a non-sense)

Besides, my mobile is new and performing, so it is not questionable (for compatibility or responsivity on the interface).

My invitation for the company to work either on the app or on the piano fw, to make it more mature.

Thanks Brad ;-)

• 1 month later...

Trying out the Casio Music Space I find the BT connection procedure unusual. Whenever I start the app I have to reconnect the BT midi to my px-s1100 manually.

With BT audio I just have to turn on my notebook and it will connect automatically.

Shouldn't that be the case for BT midi too? Afterall I need an app, CMS or 3rd party, to utilise BT midi so why can't it just remember the connection?

Yes, I have only 1 phone with the app and 1 PX-S1100. Every time I close the app or switch off the piano, and start the app  or switch on the piano again I have to go into 'connection settings' and reconnect. It would be nice if the app can remember the last connection and automatically reconnects. 

*Sorry to have hijacked this thread, but I was thinking maybe this is somehow related to OP's problem.

Edited by Sbc

• 5 months later...

I'm trying to connect my px-s1100 to a lenovo m10 tablet using Casio Music Space and it crashes right after I select the WU-BT10 Midi. Already tried clearing all app data and no success yet. Any other tips on how to connect it using Bluetooth?

Could it also be the android version (12 in this case) or Bluetooth version on the tablet the main issue?

I would be fine if you could hook it up with a cable. That won't even connect for me. ( According to the app, anyway.) Also, the app will only allow piano remote control through Bluetooth.  I'm getting the same as everyone here. Audio pairs instantly, midi won't at all. I can't ever see a situation where I would want to send audio through the speakers, but I need the remote to organize/trigger beats and organize/program sounds . Disappointed is an understatement. 

9 hours ago, Robinsongs said:

I would be fine if you could hook it up with a cable. That won't even connect for me. ( According to the app, anyway.) Also, the app will only allow piano remote control through Bluetooth.  I'm getting the same as everyone here. Audio pairs instantly, midi won't at all. I can't ever see a situation where I would want to send audio through the speakers, but I need the remote to organize/trigger beats and organize/program sounds . Disappointed is an understatement. 

Which model Casio? 

Which model phone or tablet? 

Which cable are you using? 

Did you try powering off your phone/tablet and restart?

What, if any, messages are you seeing in the Casio Music Space app connection settings menu when trying to connect to Bluetooth MIDI?

• 4 months later...

I've been told by a Casio tech that the Wu-BT10 will in fact allow me to play VSTs over a Casio Privia PX stage piano.  I understand however that Bluetooth doesn't have quite the throughput of an actual interface.  So I'm concerened about latency.  It sounds like a lot of people here have had issues.  Has anyone who has used the adapter find that it did allow VSTs on a computer to be played through the piano, and if so, did you  notice a latency problem?  If so, please advise which Casio model you used, and what kind of device and cable you used.  May seem like dumb questions, but I've been having fits for months trying to find a stage piano that will let me play VSTs, at least not without jumping through several ridiculous hoops.

22 minutes ago, jocar37 said:

Has anyone who has used the adapter find that it did allow VSTs on a computer to be played through the piano, and if so, did you  notice a latency problem?

If you have a Casio piano compatible with the WU-BT10 Bluetooth adapter, it enables the piano to be used as a Bluetooth MIDI controller with Apple and Android devices. 

Windows is not compatible with WU-BT10 Bluetooth MIDI.  No third party solutions have been shown to work.  Windows is compatible with Bluetooth audio however.  

The WU-BT10 adapter can be used for wireless MIDI, or it can be used to receive Bluetooth audio, but not both at the same time.  

Latency is not an issue when using Bluetooth MIDI.  

Note that some computers and mobile devices can have latency in their audio processing.  Faster devices with optimal audio drivers will reduce this latency to acceptable levels.