Video Files on Forum ×

Performance won't remember sequence

Tom banjo

So I go to a performance  I created --in the edit mode i hit sequencers -- then--to step sequencer --I adjust the selection to the sequence number  created for that performance.  I exit back to the performance screen and punch in the'' save '' as I have known how to do a couple of years{no problem there}.  It never saves the number  --I gave up saving the song  tempo years ago.. Having to keep a sheet and punching in a number  usually is too much to keep up with  --when rolling with the band --is there a cure. --the newly selected performance  selects the one already in the slot instead of moving to the new one. I do have an effects unit that gives a global either/or choice in similar choices.

Is there a cure --thanks

Got it-the opposite of intuity--you forum regulars put this in your memories, for the next victim. one of the menus lists the sequencers( step-arpeggios-etc) tempo with a yes or no toggle. the engineers had it wired backwards is my guess--- so they named the choices a filter in the book. if you want them to change with your choices you toggle to no ????. No one is perfect but they could have warned us. It looks like these things are going to be hard to find collector types ,so you guys need to brush up

Performance filters (freeze filters, or registration filters) are a little tricky to think about at first, but it gets easier.  They way they are implemented is common practice in keyboards.  

They go like this: Do you want the keyboard to filter out stored configuration data which causes changes to the step sequencer whenever you recall performance memory?  YES? Turn ON that filter. 

If you think of the filters as a freeze setting (which Casio has switched to in current products): Do you want to freeze the step sequencer?  YES? Turn the filter ON. 

Freeze seems a little easier to grasp than "filter".  I'm glad to see they switched to that term.

• 10 months later...

Tom banjo,

I have the same problem and when I read this topic I thought I was going to jump for joy!   I use a Behringer FCB1010 to switch patches on my XW-p1, meaning it selects a Performance that I had preprogrammed with a tone and a  sequence (in this case).  So, setting the performance filter to "freeze" the sequence stopped the selected Performance to randomly revert to the "Electro Pop" sequence.  But now it seems that with the sequence filter on, the Performance is losing the tone I programmed into the performance.  Is there any way to freeze that too?

It is a maddening piece of work, the XW. I will look over the performance parameters again. Guessing that freezing the sequencer settings is over-riding the saved performance parameter's tone. I'm not sure how to solve this. Once you "write" a performance, it supposedly saves all the tones that are part of the performance, including whatever tone is in the solo channel belonging to the sequence. Maybe it doesn't, the manual is not clear and I never noticed whether it does or doesn't. 

Studied it over again. The tone that is switching-is it the solo tone that is part of your saved sequence, or is there another tone in a different performance zone that you are using that is not staying the same. And are you using the default channel 14, or have you switched to channel 1 for your solo tone?  remember switching the solo channel from 14 to 1 is only if you want to use the monophonic synth tones, or the organ modelling tones (I think) or the hex layers for your solo synth. Only the "PCM" tones can be used for channel 14-one of the limitations of the XW. And writing  performance (saving it) should, like a registration with an arranger keyboard-save everything in one shot-again depending upon which filters are on or off from within the performance filters settings

. I suspect not too many Casio-heads like myself or AlenK, or tombanjo, have even tried to take the XW this far, judging by the huge drop-off in posts here after the first few years it was on the market. A shame, as it is capable of some amazingly complex musical stunts! yes, Tom it may be a classic someday. Or is it already?

The d*** difficulty with the XW is how the different "modes" interact-or don't interact with each other. The manual took considerable criticism on this, justifiably IMO. Why AlenK published all his tutorials here which still reside somewhere among these XW posts.  It is, again my opinion, and comparing it to much more "evolved' workstations-a very complex instrument, or as I've said before-several instruments. I think if it were actually 3-4 different physical boxes one had to interconnect, it probably would have been alot simpler to figure out-disconnect a patch cord, you hear what happens, or you don't. But it is all rolled into one box and the menu system, condensed into one tiny screen with it hundreds of functions is like building a ship in a bottle with tweezers. it took me months to figure out how to create a composition using "chains". so complex for me, that I created my own "quickguide" which I still need to refer back to, to do another one! I have it if you want me to post it-again, its here somewhere......:hitt:

Jokeyman123 thank you for that thoughtful reply, and thanks for tolerating my sarcasm in my previous post :) .

I really do appreciate the vast capability of the XW.  I have a saying: "Anything with great capability has necessary complexity"  And me, its typical that I jump right into the deep end right off the bat. Or maybe in this case not, because I bought it many years ago and its only now that I am really trying to get to do complex things.  I am clearly late to the party.

I typically need to switch to channel 1 for the solo tone.  Is it possible that it makes a difference here?  If it does, I have 2 sequences I could consider channel 14 and use "PCM", but for Joe Walsh "Life's been good" I'm jamming noise into the T-Filter and setting the resonance almost all the way up, and Key follow (really key follow!) so the cut off plays it like an oscillator. Then I add a smidge of Osc 2.  That and a bit of DSP makes it sound like the real track.  I will study it over again as you suggested.

I always write the sequence and the tone and the Performance.  I also use the Casio Data editor extensively to create the tone and the Performance, but I must use the XW to create the sequence.  I also save my Performances, Tones, sequences...etc to my computer, do full backups before I try anything challenging.

I think I have a decent understanding of chains.  This is after I figured out how to program the end sequence to Karn Evil 9 third impression.  The trick was to take the least common multiple of the 24 16th notes measure and 16 steps is 48, so chaining 3 patterns of 16. It seems that there only one chain is saved.  Perhaps I am wrong about this (I hope I am), but I am afraid to add a new chain.  I did save the KE9 chain to my computer, so I probably am safe to experiment. Another day for that.

I am having trouble finding Mikes videos.  If it is convenient, and you have a link to them or Alen K's stuff much appreciated.