Video Files on Forum ×

Can I change the default instruments played by WK 7600 that are received through MIDI?

I am a proud owner of Casio WK 7600.

I have created some tracker music on my PC, based on General Midi 1 (Midi channels/programs set accordingly) and I am feeding it to the 7600 through USB.

The thing is that the 7600 has some built-in instruments that I prefer to its default GM-1 instruments. Is there a way to make it play a different instrument (e.g. Stereo Strings) when I am sending Midi Program 51 (by default, Synth Strings)?

The software I use supports also setting a Midi Bank for every instrument, but it doesn't seem to affect anything on 7600's playback; either it is being ignored, or perhaps I need to set some special setting on 7600?

Thank you for your time!

PS.

I think I read somewhere that I can record the midi notes sent with "record" on 7600, and then change the instrument of every note, but I don't know how to do it and it would also be quite cumbersome for a 4-min piece.

Would be cumbersome to change like this. According to the WK7600 midi implementation chart-the last page in the user guide-it is capable of receiving and sending bank change messages-but according to your software-for each midi channel, I enter the bank change message first, then the program change for each instrument, which you probably are doing already.

Wait a minute-I just recalled what is probably happening here.....several Casios have a master track-which in addition to recording many of your initial settings-tempo, pedal movement etc.-also is recording how your "mixer" settings are set, including I think-your bank and program change settings, all in one track.

Brad, I need your help here if you see this post.

I think unless you set all your bank and program changes for all your tracks-for each midi channel you will be using, in your software-and then record these onto your one song recorder master track-the one used for recording the auto-accompaniments-even if you have individual tracks set with bank and program changes-the master track will reset whatever was recorded in there in the first place-and it will have "striped" anything you recorded in any other track, in its own track. This will also (I think) hold true if you are using only the internal WK song recorder.

This might be the problem you are experiencing-but I would wait to see if Brad, Joe, Chandler or someone else here can clarify this a little better than me.  My PX560 works this way-and it drove me mad until i understood this-a design Casio uses for many of the more recent models-my mixer would always switch back to instruments, pan settings and tempi (yeah that's a word) until I learned to "stripe" my mixer settings onto the recorded master track. A little tricky at first, but actually quite handy once you understand what is happening. Especially since i always prefer the better extended bank pianos, organs etc. which go beyond the GM instruments.

Thanks for your reply!

Now I am not sure if I can record the incoming note data on the synth. I pressed the "record" button on the synth and started the music on the PC; while I could hear the song playing, I didn't see it record any notes at all. It started recording only after I started pushing keys on the synth, and it would only record those keys pressed. So I'm quite confused  Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Bill, recording MIDI IN is not possible.  You will need to edit your song data entirely on your computer.  It sounds like that is what you started to do originally, and you were correct to do so.  You will need to add the appropriate bank and program change data needed to select the tones you want to hear upon playback.  The appendix for the WK-7600 has tone charts with the bank and program change data needed for each tone.  Once the data is added to each track within your song, once you press play on your computer, it should play the song using the tones you want to hear. 

https://support.casio.com/en/manual/manualfile.php?cid=008002001

You are absolutely right! It is clearly stated in the appendix.

I think I will need to have a talk with the software author, changing the MIDI Bank doesn't change the selected instrument. So it must be some issue with the software.

Thank you vert much!