Video Files on Forum ×

PX-S3100

Just received a new PX-S3100, triple pedal and carrying case.. Haven't unboxed anything yet. I was under the impression that the triple pedal unit was customizable/progammable. Is this untrue? I remember seeing a demo of someone using the rightmost pedal for damper, middle pedal to add and remove strings and the leftmost pedal to trigger things such as percussion patterns or perhaps engage the rotating speaker effect. Is this all untrue using the Chordana app to program on the 3100? 

As far as I know, the triple pedal unit is not programmable, however the standard damper pedal input and expression pedal input is. 

The standard damper pedal input can be programmed to one of the following (sustain, sostenuto, soft, arpeggio hold, play/stop button, fill-in).  

With an expression pedal input, it can also be one of the following (expression, master volume, tempo, layer balance). 

Right, in fact you helped me do the assignments of my 5s and 560. I was sure I saw a video of a guy demonstrating the triple pedal to trigger rhythms. I cannot find it now, so I must be mistaken. I will return the pedal. Bummer. If only a firmware could give us this feature. What a revolutionary ability it would be.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2022 at 12:40 PM, Scott Rogers said:

Just received a new PX-S3100, triple pedal and carrying case.. Haven't unboxed anything yet. I was under the impression that the triple pedal unit was customizable/progammable. Is this untrue? I remember seeing a demo of someone using the rightmost pedal for damper, middle pedal to add and remove strings and the leftmost pedal to trigger things such as percussion patterns or perhaps engage the rotating speaker effect. Is this all untrue using the Chordana app to program on the 3100? 

Hey Scott, hope all is well. Did you get a chance to use the triple pedal at all? I wanted to know what you think of the soft pedal?

Just curious-what do you find "quantifyingly" different from the PX5s and 560 which I play regularly? I found an extensive database in another user group where someone compiled exact specs for every aspect of how weighted keys are designed and what type of response one can expect, without having the ability to try one in a dealer or elsewhere. Key length, key throw depth, etc.  Unfortunately the chart is now a ".png" which you will have to open with a photo editor to zoom in, as it looks pretty hard to read unless you blow it up to see the details. Look at the first page and you will see a link at the bottom of his first post. This proves one thing-if you play piano, you can certainly find enough info to make you want to tear your hair out, if you have any left!!!

https://forums.musicplayer.com/topic/174784-stage-piano-key-action-and-static-touchweights/#comments

Or here is the png file i you don't want to bother reading the entire post. He added more keyboards over time-but unless you have a spare day or two to read through everything....you might want to just glance through this one.:hitt:

kebed chart.png

Edited by Jokeyman123

My response is pretty basic. I have logged thousands of hours of live performances between the PX-5s and the PX-560. The px-s3100 seems stiff and a bit heavy. That is how it feels to me. That may not be due to the actual weight of the keys, but perhaps the mechanism on which they hinge. Either way, for me it’s not the same pleasure to perform with compared to the others. I also have a Studiologic SL88 Grand in the studio. Not a fan of that either. The 560 shines for live work because there is so much control available on the full color screen without switching “pages.” I can’t really give enough praise to the 560. 

Ok,  just wanted to know for my own playing. I switch lately between the PX560 for piano work, and my Fusions which have the TP40 fatar. Pretty happy with both, although there is quite a difference between the 2. I believe the Studiologic is the same TP40, although with Fatar, i am never be sure of what another might feel like. with mods, my 560 is very quiet, and much easier on my hands.

• 4 weeks later...

After spending some time with the 3100 in the studio, I have come to appreciate some of its qualities. The keybed touch is certainly lighter than the 560, but I have become more comfortable with it. The piano samples are very, very good. The electric pianos are just alright and usable. This unit will either be used in the studio or at church. I wouldn’t use it for live performances because I rely too much on the amazing capabilities of the 560 for the fast pace stage demands. I find having to scroll through the menu frustrating. In a situation where I only need piano, it will work well. I am disappointed that the triple pedal cannot be configured the way I expected. It is a very good value.