Video Files on Forum ×

Selecting a channel to send outgoing sustain pedal messages

jeffn1

Hello,

I am using my PX350 (and CTK7200) as midi controllers with Gig Performer (using a Windows laptop).

In my setup I only want to use the PX350 to send on channel 1 and the CTK7200 to send on channel 3.

In general this seems to work as hoped.

BUT, when I use the sustain pedal attached to my PX350 it sends controller messages on midi channels 1 through 4.  (As does the sustain pedal attached to my CTK-7200).

So, I would like to change the setting so the sustain pedal attached to my PX350 only sends out messages on channel 1.  And I would like to change the settings on my CTK7200 so it only sends sustain messages out on channel 3.

Of course, once I make the change, I would like it to remain that way when I use my keyboard again at a different time/day (i.e., the setting remains after turning off the keyboard).

Thanks for any help with this.

Jeff

Edited by jeffn1

Thanks for responding, Brad.

As far as I know I am not using splits and layers.  Yes, that is what it seems to me.

I can try to double check that splits and layers is turned off.  But, I've spent many hours playing the keyboard and, to my knowledge, I am not using splits or layers.

Jeff

Edited by jeffn1

Everything I am doing indicates that on the PX350  the sustain pedal sends out midi data on channels 1, 2, 3 and 4 simultaneously.  It appears that there is no way to disable/limit that.  (I am not using layers or splits)

Any confirmation (or better yet, correction, if I am wrong) is appreciated.

Jeff

Hello Jeffn1...I never noticed this which strikes me as odd-I don't see any setting that allows for changing/reprogramming an ordinary simple switched sustain pedal's midi send channels-although there are "expression" pedals that can do this I think. sustain cc messages are #66-if you can filter cc 66 in your other tracks/channels with gig performer, this may be the only way, but then the CTK7200 will also be filtered for whatever tracks you filter. I am remembering-this is an old problem-where many keyboards cannot be split or layered with sustain on one tone and not the other. How are you doing this with the CTK7200? This does have additional midi settings the PX350 does not. I don't see any Casio documentation that addresses sustain pedal midi assignments. will have to try myself, I don't recall right now-but are all 4 midi channels sending sustain in single tone mode, song mode and whether auto-accompaniment is on or off? In other words, is there any difference, are you always getting sustain on all 4 channels-these 4 channels are the assignments for the "live" keyboard channels and are hard-wired specifically for that-whether in single tone, layered or split mode. Wish I could be more help-I will do some experimenting with my 560, I do not have the 350 anymore-the 560 touchscreen grabbed my attention!

Hey, Jokeyman, thanks for chiming in.

Yes, it seems to me in regular single mode (default) setting sustain goes out on channels 1,2,3, and 4 on the PX350.  I don't see a way of changing that.

It seems like the CTK-7200 does allow to you control that.  I think in the CTK7200 Function Setting you can turn off the effect in different "parts".  And I think by turning effects off in different "parts", it means you are controlling the midi channels the effect is sent on.  (I have not experimented too much with the CTK-7200 menu, so I could be wrong).

It does not look like the PX350 provides the same control.

But, I think I will be able to resolve this in GP (but I have not tried yet).

I think all I need to do is restrict the midi input blocks so each block only controls a particular device (instead of omni)

So, in each rackspace I would not use omni for my midi block in.  Instead, for example, for the CTK-7200, my midi input would be set to my CTK-7200 and it would be limited to receiving midi on channel 3.

Then whenever I was using the PX350, I would have the midi input block only send data from the PX350 and I would filter all channels except channel 1.

So, that way the sustain effect sent from my CKT-7200 should not affect my sounds (in GP) controlled by my PX350 and sustain effect sent from my PX350 should not effect my sounds (in GP) controlled by the CTK-7200.

I will let you know how it goes.

Jeff

Edited by jeffn1