Video Files on Forum ×

PX-870 Cat on top of piano. Risky?

freddyonderstal

I have bought a brand new PX-870 yesterday. This morning I came in my livingroom and discovered some footprints of my cats on the wooden piece which is protecting the keys. 

Can the wooden piece (don’t know how to say in English) handle the weight of a (small) cat? Do I have to worry about any damage? 

Or is it designed to handle some impact?

1 hour ago, freddyonderstal said:

I have bought a brand new PX-870 yesterday. This morning I came in my livingroom and discovered some footprints of my cats on the wooden piece which is protecting the keys. 

Can the wooden piece (don’t know how to say in English) handle the weight of a (small) cat? Do I have to worry about any damage? 

Or is it designed to handle some impact?

Cats are very lightweight compared to pianos

I'm sure the fallboard can handle the weight of a housecat. It's designed to protect the keys both from dust and minor impacts. I would make sure the fallboard is properly positioned when it's covering the keys because I think the only time it might be a problem is if it's not, and something hits it or puts weight on it, there's a chance that might misalign something depending on the design. It's not terribly likely, and it may even be hard to get it to stay in some in between position anyway.

Especially poor Larry-he really was "into it". With 3 cats in our house-I always keep all my keyboards covered, they do like walking-Zez Confrey did write "Kitten on the Keys"-he must have watched this episode years ago.  But here it is.....what a piece of piano! Sorry getting away from the subject, I'll stop now.

Edited by Jokeyman123

11 hours ago, Joe Muscara said:

Just think, that was done before we had people putting digital pianos in shells to look like real pianos. The Stooges were ahead of their time!

I think both Roland and Casio have done that a lot, with both having some of the best digital pianos ever made.

(Both are really good)