Video Files on Forum ×

Casio NEEDS to bring back this sample

If you used to own a Casio keyboard powered by HL Sound Source (especially the LK-90 family) , I'm pretty sure you're familiar with the iconic 80's Fairlight CMI "ARR1" sample, in the form of "Synth Voice", "Voice Lead" and "Brightness" tones.

I would love to see this sample back on the next generation Casio, maybe under the name "80's Synth Voice"

Here's an example of the toneTetris GameBoy Intro - Fairlight Vox.aac

This opened by default with my copy of Winamp. I also opened it with Audacity-but Audacity needed the ffmpeg plugin to open it-then it can be saved as a standard .wav file which many samplers can import and play. My old PX575 can import wav files, I think several of the older WK's can also do that an the MZ-X500? As can many other keyboards with built-in samplers.. i have a huge collection of older Casio samples I play in my Alesis Fusions, including the base SK-1 sounds, and many CZ sound samples.

On 4/14/2023 at 12:49 AM, Pravito said:

By custom sampling, I don't think that it could match the authenticity of the original tones. 

You are correct! Most keyboard manufacturers and synth manufacturers use some form of custom compression to fit as many "sounds" or wavetables as humanly possible into their custom LSI chips in order to dole out as much bang for the buck as possible. Straight sampling will not recreate those "tones" though they may SEEM like easy to recreate tones. Take Casio SK1. The Brass Ens tone is my favorite, and it turns out it is the Synth Brass Ens tone found in the CZ230S as the first preset and also found in the CZ2000S, CZ3000/5000 and CZ1. It can be recreated in the CZ101/1000 BUT, only because those boards use the SAME kind of LSI and sound generating tech and algorithms as the other CZ keyboards with that preset burned in. The CT6500 also has that Synth Brass Ens sound I love. Now, I have tried to SAMPLE it to recreate it and indeed it NEVER sounds the same! Heck! Many software synth developers have tried to recreate the CZ and PD synth engine and that ONE tone is the only one missing from all those soft synths! Why? Cause there is hardware electronics compressions, wave mixing and so on, going on that can not be recreated with soft synths or straight up sampling. You can do it, but it will not sound the same. Again, back to the SK1 and CZ230S Brass Ens sound... The SK1 version was a sampled version and sounds good but not as heavy or consistent across all the keys because as you get up the scale, you hear the loop point get faster. In the CZ the sound IS consistent because it is the true tone made inside the Synth using the custom LSI and wavetables and sound compression, etc. It is not sampled. Oh I want the Yamaha PF80 and Casio CZ230S presets recreated but unless you have the original chips and electronics used to make those sounds, you are stuck with close but no cigar replicas.. Just sayin.

• 2 weeks later...

Casio PCM engine was not only sample based. It contained plenty of exotic FM variants (phase distortion, triangular wave modulation) to save rom space, which explains the complex duration sensitive behaviour of many preset sounds. While later Casios used more conventional (and increasingly boring) wavetables, it may be that there were still FM tricks involved those can be hard to mimic with plain samples.

• Love 1

On 5/1/2023 at 10:02 PM, CYBERYOGI =CO=Windler said:

Casio PCM engine was not only sample based. It contained plenty of exotic FM variants (phase distortion, triangular wave modulation) to save rom space, which explains the complex duration sensitive behaviour of many preset sounds. While later Casios used more conventional (and increasingly boring) wavetables, it may be that there were still FM tricks involved those can be hard to mimic with plain samples.

Exactly.. what you said lol! Yes, that Brass Ensemble sound from the SK1, CZ1, CZ230s, CZ3000/5000 and CT6500 is a prime example of Casio fm/pulse/triangle wave mix trickery.