Video Files on Forum ×

Other instrument

Also interested. I play bodhran, have a set of Highland pipes and a few chanters, but purchased from a reputable Ireland located vendor. Important to get quality with authentic instruments.

There are sounds that evoke a bodhran and concertina if you have the right Casio keyboards.

Another idea-for emulating Irish and Celtic folk instruments-if you are adept with computer music technology-there are 'soundfonts" for many ethnic instruments which can be downloaded and installed into a computer, and performed/recorded with software. soundfonts are simply samples of specific instruments or groups of instruments designed to be played through a software program. I use Coolsoft, a virtual midi program designed to work with the windows operating system and very simple to install and use.

Although I prefer using real acoustic instruments specifically (wish I had a set of Uilleann pipes but are costly!) or simulated ethnic instruments in my keyboards or modules, i have used so-called "virtual" instruments to play back midi files or to record compositions using soundfonts and the right software with a properly connected keyboard-or midi wind controller. Sounds more complex than it is. if interested-post here or PM me and I will help regarding the technical end of it. If not, sorry Brad for stepping in too deep!

9 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

Also interested. I play bodhran, have a set of Highland pipes and a few chanters, but purchased from a reputable Ireland located vendor. Important to get quality with authentic instruments.

There are sounds that evoke a bodhran and concertina if you have the right Casio keyboards.

Another idea-for emulating Irish and Celtic folk instruments-if you are adept with computer music technology-there are 'soundfonts" for many ethnic instruments which can be downloaded and installed into a computer, and performed/recorded with software. soundfonts are simply samples of specific instruments or groups of instruments designed to be played through a software program. I use Coolsoft, a virtual midi program designed to work with the windows operating system and very simple to install and use.

Although I prefer using real acoustic instruments specifically (wish I had a set of Uilleann pipes but are costly!) or simulated ethnic instruments in my keyboards or modules, i have used so-called "virtual" instruments to play back midi files or to record compositions using soundfonts and the right software with a properly connected keyboard-or midi wind controller. Sounds more complex than it is. if interested-post here or PM me and I will help regarding the technical end of it. If not, sorry Brad for stepping in too deep!

Thank you for that advice. I think emulating their sound would be a more economical move considering the fact that a concertina is quite pricey and very challenging to learn.

I have noticed more WORLD sounds and ETHNIC sounds in the latest Casio keyboards like the WK and CTX and CTK post 2010 units. Would be well worth checking models currently offered by CASIO. For more vintage synthetic but close approximation of concertinas and harmoniums, the Casiotone CT and MT keyboards from the early 1980s. The CT310 and MT65 as well as the MT45 and for later Casiotones, the CT370 and MT240. The earliest Casiotones like the 202 and 201 and the mid sized versions the MT60 and MT40 would be good options.

5 hours ago, pianokeyjoe said:

I have noticed more WORLD sounds and ETHNIC sounds in the latest Casio keyboards like the WK and CTX and CTK post 2010 units. Would be well worth checking models currently offered by CASIO. For more vintage synthetic but close approximation of concertinas and harmoniums, the Casiotone CT and MT keyboards from the early 1980s. The CT310 and MT65 as well as the MT45 and for later Casiotones, the CT370 and MT240. The earliest Casiotones like the 202 and 201 and the mid sized versions the MT60 and MT40 would be good options.

I think it would be worthwhile to check if those newer units. I've heard someone tried to replicate a concertina on a synth keyboard. It did sound familiar, but it has that techno vibes.

On 8/18/2023 at 1:38 PM, Shaunaflynn said:

I think it would be worthwhile to check if those newer units. I've heard someone tried to replicate a concertina on a synth keyboard. It did sound familiar, but it has that techno vibes.

How about you guys, did you tried to replicate another instrument using keyboards?

Absolutely-one aspect of synthesized music technology that attracted me-I might not have access to an orchestra or band members to hear my compositions for real acoustic instruments-but I could (to varying degrees of success) somewhat approximate what a musical ensemble might sound like.

You might want to start studying "sampling" technology which is a complex subject, even the best 'sampled" instruments are not entirely successful in duplicating what a real sax, trumpet, bagpipe, oboe or any other instrument might really sound like.  Several music technology companies, such as Yamaha and Alesis used a technique called "physical modelling" which is a synthesized attempt to recreate the exact "physical" characteristics of a wind or brass instrument-what its shape, size and design are. This too is not entirely successful IMO as I have at least one "physical modelling" synthesizer/workstation and have worked with this form of duplicating acoustic instruments. A human being is still the most remarkable of instruments-capable of creating amazing music with the simplest of instruments, electronic or otherwise. See my comment about Paddy Maloney below.

One other idea you might wish to research-soundfonts-same idea as a "virtual" instrument-for playing on your computer-another pretty old well-documented way of trying to re-create acoustic instruments with a keyboard and computer. For example-I have installed a soundfont simply called "giant"-a collection of acoustic instrument samples which I use to play midi files on my computers-and also converted this soundfont to one of my music synthesizers to play from the keys-has one of the most realistic soprano sax sounds I've found for a sampled instrument-I play soprano sax, I know what the real one sounds like and had been trying to find a keyboard version of this instrument for electronic compositions.

There are many  commercially available collections of sampled acoustic instruments on Cd's DVD's, some rather expensive and which are used to score films, background music for other productions and most of the "travelogue" videos you can view online as streaming media and in professional or hobbyist music studios. If done carefully and cleverly, can sound fairly close to real instrument ensembles, although I have yet to hear a major orchestral work done with sampled instruments/keyboards that does not sooner or later betray its digital origins if one listens carefully enough. Again, just my opinion.

You seem to have a perhaps Celtic or Irish background based on your posts-I have twice had the privilege of hearing the Chieftains in person-all acoustic instruments. I heard Paddy Maloney performing alone on stage in NYC I think it was in Radio City Music Hall. The Chieftains had just played a rousing repertoire of several of their ensemble pieces when suddenly the house lights went out, a spotlight shone on Paddy alone with his Uileann pipes. He played the most beautiful piece of music I have ever heard.  His sound enveloped the entire Music Hall and completely immersed the audience with a sound unlike anything I've ever heard and ever will, and I've been to some of the best venues to hear everything from the NY Philharmonic to some of the best rock, folk and jazz groups over the last 50 years or so. Paddy won, all by himself.

Edited by Jokeyman123

On 8/24/2023 at 10:33 AM, Jokeyman123 said:

Absolutely-one aspect of synthesized music technology that attracted me-I might not have access to an orchestra or band members to hear my compositions for real acoustic instruments-but I could (to varying degrees of success) somewhat approximate what a musical ensemble might sound like.

You might want to start studying "sampling" technology which is a complex subject, even the best 'sampled" instruments are not entirely successful in duplicating what a real sax, trumpet, bagpipe, oboe or any other instrument might really sound like.  Several music technology companies, such as Yamaha and Alesis used a technique called "physical modelling" which is a synthesized attempt to recreate the exact "physical" characteristics of a wind or brass instrument-what its shape, size and design are. This too is not entirely successful IMO as I have at least one "physical modelling" synthesizer/workstation and have worked with this form of duplicating acoustic instruments. A human being is still the most remarkable of instruments-capable of creating amazing music with the simplest of instruments, electronic or otherwise. See my comment about Paddy Maloney below.

One other idea you might wish to research-soundfonts-same idea as a "virtual" instrument-for playing on your computer-another pretty old well-documented way of trying to re-create acoustic instruments with a keyboard and computer. For example-I have installed a soundfont simply called "giant"-a collection of acoustic instrument samples which I use to play midi files on my computers-and also converted this soundfont to one of my music synthesizers to play from the keys-has one of the most realistic soprano sax sounds I've found for a sampled instrument-I play soprano sax, I know what the real one sounds like and had been trying to find a keyboard version of this instrument for electronic compositions.

There are many  commercially available collections of sampled acoustic instruments on Cd's DVD's, some rather expensive and which are used to score films, background music for other productions and most of the "travelogue" videos you can view online as streaming media and in professional or hobbyist music studios. If done carefully and cleverly, can sound fairly close to real instrument ensembles, although I have yet to hear a major orchestral work done with sampled instruments/keyboards that does not sooner or later betray its digital origins if one listens carefully enough. Again, just my opinion.

You seem to have a perhaps Celtic or Irish background based on your posts-I have twice had the privilege of hearing the Chieftains in person-all acoustic instruments. I heard Paddy Maloney performing alone on stage in NYC I think it was in Radio City Music Hall. The Chieftains had just played a rousing repertoire of several of their ensemble pieces when suddenly the house lights went out, a spotlight shone on Paddy alone with his Uileann pipes. He played the most beautiful piece of music I have ever heard.  His sound enveloped the entire Music Hall and completely immersed the audience with a sound unlike anything I've ever heard and ever will, and I've been to some of the best venues to hear everything from the NY Philharmonic to some of the best rock, folk and jazz groups over the last 50 years or so. Paddy won, all by himself.

Thank you for this wonderful advice sir. I do believe that sampling technology cannot fully replicate the sounds of an instrument like a concertina because the process itself tend to omit certain details in their sound. However for a beginner like me, it might be a good start to get my feet wet.