Video Files on Forum ×

Applying Delay to Drum Sets is a mess, mostly a bug. "CC74: Cut off" does not work for Drum Sets.

id_deegee
Go to solution Solved by Brad Saucier,

1st of all, you can't get a delay effect from any factory Drum Set, unless you modify and re-save it, see below (Reverb works fine)

2nd (partial quick fix) in order to make global Delay Setting work (in the Mixer or per DrumSet) one have to activate any DSP setting, EQ for ex. re-save the drum set and use it in UPPERS only

in other words, no DSP affect assigned - NO DELAY, a DSP assigned - delay works but only for UPPER sections, If you select your drum set in the lowers it won't play delays

(any other existing factory instrument even GM's works fine in any section Lower1,2 and so on w/o any modifications)

Only drum sets are affected.

3rd (long fix, not perfect)

The only way I could activate delay in the lowers is to increase Delay value per each KEY in the instrument section of a drum set.

But man,  every drum set, every key to change (there's no ALL option like for HEXes), plus you don't have enough user space to re-save all drum sets

P.S.  "CC74: Cut off" command assigned  to a knob does not work on Drum Sets either

Edited by id_deegee

• id_deegee changed the title to Applying Delay to Drum Sets is a mess, mostly a bug. "CC74: Cut off" does not work for Drum Sets.

Not sure this a bug-it might be part of the architecture of the PX560-the way it is designed (I think) although the manual is not clear about this. The effects busses are as you have found-there are limitations. Many of us discovered awhile ago-only one upper voice from the main menu will retain any effect-if you layer or split a voice-only one part of that will have the effect active.

I never noticed that the "delay" setting within the mixer does not affect the drumkits-and again the manual does not make this clear. So maybe it is a bug. I can only guess why this is so-possibly because assigning delay efx to each separate voice in the kit was a design choice-would I necessarily want all my drum voices to have a delay, maybe not. But delay is considered a "global" effect like reverb and chorus, so it should work the same way. Can you assign individual drum tones in a kit to reverb/chorus or none, I never tried.

I know I've had to store registrations to get certain effects and knob settings retained for using with specific tones-but again there will be only one effect active from the main screen. And I'll have to check this-but from the mixer, I don't think individual effects programmed into individual tones-will be retained once in the mixer settings, for using in the song recorder-or for that matter when using the PX560 as a multi-channel tone module. I think you can only count on the 3 global effects-reverb, chorus and delay when in mixer/song recorder mode. I seem to remember, when I did a cover of "Telstar" with the PX560 using around 6 tracks of recording, I was only able to add a "Leslie" organ DSP to one track and I think it was the "system" track. None of the other tracks let me use the Leslie DSP-even though it was programmed into my individual organ tone.

Glad you mentioned this, if it is a bug maybe it needs to be looked at. I managed one firmware update! I seriously think though tht it is a built-in limitation of how much the PX560 CPU csan do at any one time. The PX560 I am sure is still  being supported and sold by Casio through various vendors AFAIK.

I guess if you need more specific and specialized effects routings/settings-either software or a more advanced workstation is the only way I know to get individual multi-channel inserts for each track, or even with a simple split or layer. Not sure about the newest Casios, the PX560 is my newest.

• Thanks 1

On 12/4/2023 at 4:56 AM, Jokeyman123 said:

Glad you mentioned this, if it is a bug maybe it needs to be looked at. I managed one firmware update! I seriously think though tht it is a built-in limitation of how much the PX560 CPU csan do at any one time. The PX560 I am sure is still  being supported and sold by Casio through various vendors AFAIK.

I guess if you need more specific and specialized effects routings/settings-either software or a more advanced workstation is the only way I know to get individual multi-channel inserts for each track, or even with a simple split or layer. Not sure about the newest Casios, the PX560 is my newest.

Hey!

You're partially correct but

It seems my explanation was not clear enough for understanding, so let me show you in 2 videos below. One is for Delay/Chorus Issue and another is for Cut Off issue.

Plus Chorus effect is also affected.

In short  Midi Delay effect should work as Reverb effect for drums,. Now only Reverb is working properly.

Plus it's very sad that Cut Off does not work for drum sets at all, and there's no work around for lowers (I can use Auto WAH LFO but it only for uppers and it's auto)

Edited by id_deegee

• Solution

Not a bug.  As noted above, the PX-560 has a drum tone editing system where each individual instrument within the drum tone can be customized to a high degree, with tools normally only available for a tone as a whole.  Each instrument has it's own pitch, amp, and filter envelopes, as well as effects sends. 

Casio PX-5S and MZ-X500/300 share the same advanced drum editing tools.  These also have the same limitations noted above regarding effects and filter cutoff for drum tones specifically.  Like the 560, on the PX-5S and MZ-X500, cutoff assigned to a knob has no effect on drum tones, and mixer settings for delay and chorus have no effect.  Normal tones are not subject to this limitation.  It only applies to drum tones where each key is individually edited, rather than the tone as a whole.  

13 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

Not a bug.  As noted above, the PX-560 has a drum tone editing system where each individual instrument within the drum tone can be customized to a high degree, with tools normally only available for a tone as a whole.  Each instrument has it's own pitch, amp, and filter envelopes, as well as effects sends. 

Casio PX-5S and MZ-X500/300 share the same advanced drum editing tools.  These also have the same limitations noted above regarding effects and filter cutoff for drum tones specifically.  Like the 560, on the PX-5S and MZ-X500, cutoff assigned to a knob has no effect on drum tones, and mixer settings for delay and chorus have no effect.  Normal tones are not subject to this limitation.  It only applies to drum tones where each key is individually edited, rather than the tone as a whole.  

That sounds good on paper but in reality the system is not user friendly at all regarding drum sets, especially for live performances.

For example one has to edit the whole set and save it separately in a user bank just to get a delay... and if one wants to switch between different sets they all should be pre-edited and saved.. I'm not even talking about Cut Off  here

As you know Hex layers also have individual pitch, amp, env, filters... but Global Cut Off and Delay work fine 

If it does not work on other systems or does not work since the beginning it does not mean it's the best solution, it just was implemented that way

Anyway thank you for your assistance, I understood that I'll have to deal with that missing functionality... 

Edited by id_deegee