Video Files on Forum ×

Headphones stopped working

dotbr

Hello! I've got a PX-560 for about 10 days now. Loving it, but today I'm having troubles with the headphone jacks: they stopped working. They mute the speakers but don't get sound to the headphones. If I mess around with the plug, depending on the position (close to half-way inserted), they produce sound on the headphones (in a channel ou another, you know), but if I insert it properly I hear nothing. Tested my headphones elsewhere and they're fine (Scarlett HP60 MkII from my Scarlett 2i2 Studio, pretty decent headphones) and also tested other pair of headphones, in both of the outputs, and the same situation happens. I tried to put and pull them a lot of times thinking that some switch might be stuck, but it's not the case, since the speakers are muted properly. Everything else is OK. Tried to factory reset, unplugged power source for a while, but no luck. One detail that might be a coincidence (or not) is that this happened when I was setting up an expression pedal (Moog EP-3). I still think it's a coincidence since I disconnected the pedals and everything else and did a factory reset. Any thoughts?

EDIT: just tried the line outs and they're also muted when I plug in the headphones. 

Thanks, 

Leandro

Thanks, Brad! Yeah, the problem is only with the phone outputs, and it should be pretty simple because the driver is working (when connecting the plug I hear parts of the sound). Sad part is that I will have to send it to a repair shop since I bought it more than 7 days ago (local brazilian law deadline to request a replacement from the dealer). Hope they fix it soon.

Thanks again,

Leandro

One last question: I didn't find anything in the manual saying that when you connect a headphone (EN-9) the line outs are disabled. From what I understood only the speakers are muted. Is it normal behavior?

Thanks,

Leandro

• 1 year later...

If you have no repair service-there is one thing you could try-if you are reasonably handy with a screwdriver. Take the screws off the end pnael that contains the headphone jack-not hard-and look at the headphone jack assembly inside-its a small circuit board with a ribbon cable connected and going into the main part of the Casio-you cannot disconnect that without taking the Casio apart but you can check the headphone jack assemble and cable-makes sure everything is connected and look at the circuit board-look for any cracks or disconnected parts. don't do this if it is under warranty though-will void the warranty I think. Like Brad said, return it if it is still under warranty. 

• 2 years later...

Zombie post, but relevant I think. Unfortunately banged up my PX-560 moving it from room to room, only to discover the speakers no longer worked, only headphones. Lunatic that I am, I took the entire top off (not new for me-just ask the attendants with the white coats:hitt:) and checked all connecting cables, amp board, dust bunnies, loose change, boogers etc.

Seeing nothing wrong I looked in the last spot-should have been first but why I'm posting this-that might be causing the entire speaker system to fail-and it was not the software speaker on/off, first place I look.

One of the 2 headphone jacks was dead-I took the entire assembly out to inspect with my 20-200 vision-I always use magnifying jeweler's headsets for things like this-and discovered an almost microscopic crack in a trace to one of the coil assemblies, and to this dead jack. The entire circuit board had cracked ever so slightly, fortunately this is not a multi-layer board. I repaired the trace, and surprise-this had caused the entire speaker system to fail. One trace-almost invisible, brought down the entire audio system. Something in that circuit board "makes" or "breaks" a critical circuit to the amp board, which of course this is how this little board can turn the speakers on/off. Never suspected-one broken trace could do this  and explains why even a tiny fault in a headphone plug, or one that doesn't quite fit, could cause a malfunction with the sound system.

Got lucky this time. Now you know. And ridiculously, the only place i could find a replacement part outside of Casio repair-charges 47.00 for this, and it is listed as for the PX-160, but looks identical to the PX-560 from what i can see.

casio-headphone-jack.jpg

Edited by Jokeyman123
  • Like 2