Video Files on Forum ×

Windows 10 not recognizing Privia px-150

gunnarl

For a short time I was using my Casio Privia px-150 with Sibelius and finale. Now my computer does not make a sound when I connect keyboard to my computer. 

I tried a second usb

I have searched online and have tried downloading Casio drivers not sure if I should have.

I have changed my computer to always leave power on to the USB ports.

Any help is appreciated for years I have tried pro tools and other recording software but always run into technical issues almost ready to pay some guy at guitar center to work with me on getting set up.

Recently I purchased a brand new dell laptop i7, 16 gb ram, solid star drive . Got a nice one if I need to downgrade to windows 7 let me know or if I need to get a new keyboard I will, but do not want to spend if I do not need to.

What type of interface specifically are you using to connect the PX150 to the computer? Unfortunately it seems many musicians/users are having major issues with Windows 10, I stuck with 7 after seeing all these posted problems with music software/hardware. You may want to look at this thread below describing many user's keyboards from several different manufacturers not being recognized, notice it seems to be a Microsoft problem, not Casio.

One of the problems could be compatibility issues with USB 3.0 ports which your new computer probably has. You also might want to watch device manager while you plug the PX150 into the computer-see what devices are being (or not being) recognized. Or windows 10 being 64 bit instead of 32.  I have 2 brand specific drivers installed for other hardware and don't have any problems with windows 7. But I had to use the specific 32 or 64 bit drivers and I use a Midisport interface now.

You are not supposed to need the Casio or any other drivers since Windows is supposed to install native drivers for anything connected to the USB port. But depending upon how you are connecting the PX to the computer-if you are using a brand-specific interface such as M-Audio, Roland, Yamaha or other you will definitely need to install their driver for that interface device. If you are going straight from PX150 USB to computer USB you may need to do some work as per this link.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/windows-10-midi-keyboard-not-working/166fddf7-aa86-493f-ac9a-3c5dae421bcc

And if you are using one of the cheap Chinese USB to midi DIN interface cables, that might be suspect number one, these are not reliable since many of them are missing key components necessary to interface with a computer-I have one and I can verify this. I use a Midisport 2 x 2 USB to midi DIN box now and with it's own drivers from Midisport, it works perfectly with everything I own. The cheap cable failed. Mostly didn't work and when it did, gave poor results.

I also found this from Casio, it shows compatibility of Casio keyboards, drivers and Windows 10-most older Casios aren't supported according to these charts, ouch!

https://support.casio.com/en/support/information.php?cid=008&pid=614

And finally, taken from our posts right here, might help....

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/8970-usb-midi-driver-for-windows-10/

Let us know how this works out, and post your solution if you find one! Thanks.

Sell your new computer. Rollback to Windows 7.  :) (kidding)

Seriously,

Windows 10 required drivers to be certified.

However, it could be possible that you will be able to use a generic driver (PX x60 does it ).

I do not have PX 150 so I cannot provide a straight answer.

PX 360 work without any problems on Win 10 with USB 2.0, 3.0 or 3.1.

Try to connect you PX to iPad(phone) or Android. If it works with these devices then it supposes to work with Win 10, at least through USB 2.0 (if it works with USB 2 I do not see why it souldn't work with USB 3 and up).

Unfortunately, PX150 does not have direct MIDI so you cannot use an external USB adapter.

I know it is a bummer.

I know that I did I try another USB cable to no avail. The past two days just been busy, full time overnight job/ and real estate during the day. I'm 26 and just want to make sure I do not give up on recording/writing even if just for personal benefit. I really appreciate your feedback. I will work on the set up tonight or tomorrow and try your suggestions and post an update this weekend. 

Thank you so much.

No mentioned this...at least in this post......yet.

Install Midiox in your computer.  I would open this software program first before you connect anything. There is a "window" in the midiox program called "main output monitor". Open this window-you will see a large black window open within the Midiox program. Now, connect your PX with the usb cable-do not turn it on until everything is connected. Wait a minute. Even if your cable is not connected to anything, Windows is supposed to respond/detect the USB cable and auto-install a  driver for it, so you should see something happening.  Now click on the "options" tab in Midiox labelled "midi devices". You will see 4 window panes, the one to watch is the upper left quadrant window which should be empty and labelled "midi input". Now, turn on the p150, wait a few seconds. If everything works correctly, you should now see something in that midi input window that was not there before, should probably say Casio usb PX150 or similar. If it does, you know you are now connected to the computer. Do not close Midiox. go back to the main output monitor screen, watch it and play some notes on the PX150. Again if everything is working you will now see columns of numbers, this is showing you the actual midi date stream being sent from the px 150 to the computer. If you do see a response in Midiox, you know your driver, connections, computer and PX150 are working properly. Now when you open Sibelius or Finale, or any software midi sequencer. look for their menu system to look up midi input. I don't use those programs, so I don't know exactly where you will find the midi input window-usually under settings, option or similar like Midiox. You should see the same midi input here as you found described in Midiox. Again, if you saw what I've described in Midiox, the Finale and Sibelius should be accepting your live playing and recording from the PX150. If none of this happens, unfortunately you might have to try one or all of the other suggestions in these posts. Might be something as simple as windows hicupping-sometimes errors in the registry point to wrong descriptors until you try again. I re-writes stuff in the registry to fix the problem and bam, your done and everything works and you didn't do anything different.

Found this here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/windows-10-midi-keyboard-not-working/166fddf7-aa86-493f-ac9a-3c5dae421bcc

"Next, and this was an important step, under the View menu in the device manger I checked "Show Hidden Devices" and wella there was the MPKMini2 albeit greyed out but it was there . So the correct driver had been installed but the computer wasn't recognizing that the keyboard was connected. Under the properties for the driver it was saying the device wasn't connected but it was. The light on the keyboard was flashing intermittently but it wouldn't fully connect and the device manager was flashing like something was trying to connect as well.

The "Human Interface Devices" section was continually expanding open as well when the manager was flashing which I had ignored until I realized that one of the entries was graying in and out. It was the "HID-Compliant system controller" I uninstalled it and bingo the keyboard and the device manger stopped flashing and the keyboard was finally connected and working.

Windows was obviously thinking the keyboard was something else even though it had loaded the correct driver. The "Human interface Device" setting was trying to establish itself and not allowing the  "Sound Video and Game Controllers" setting to work."

I went into my Device Manager clicked on Show Hidden devices under the view tab. Then under Sound, Video and game controllers I saw listed

CASIO USB-MIDI !

I double clicked on that and CASIO USB MIDI Properties window appeared. Under general tab I see a box Device Status and it reads "

Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer."

Under Driver tab I could uninstall device should I do this?

Under Events Tab I see Timestamp....Description

Device install requested

Device Migrated

Driver service added (usb audio)

Device Installed (wdma_usb.inf_amd6.....

Same tab under information a box reads 

"Driver Management concluded the process to install driver wdma_usb.inf_amd64_d4f7f6fd843ed0fd for Device Instance ID USB\VID_07CF&PID_6803&MI_00\6&438BDDF&0&0000 with the following status: 0x0."

Jokey Man I tried midiox.  I opened up saw the black screen connected cable and nothing popped up to install drivers. I then went to options, midi devices, then looked at midi input. It was blank I turned on my px150 and nothing changed.

I also have a akai eie Interface. 

"One of the problems could be compatibility issues with USB 3.0 ports which your new computer probably has. You also might want to watch device manager while you plug the PX150 into the computer-see what devices are being (or not being) recognized. Or windows 10 being 64 bit instead of 32.  I have 2 brand specific drivers installed for other hardware and don't have any problems with windows 7. But I had to use the specific 32 or 64 bit drivers and I use a Midisport interface now."

-When I go into Device manager under Universal Serial Bus Controllers and USB Connector Managers  sub listed I see 

IntelR USB 3.0 etensible Host Controller -1.0 microsoft

USB Composite Device

USB Root Hub (3.0

USCSI USB Connector Manager

https://support.casio.com/en/support/information.php?cid=008&pid=614

I do not see px 150 listed in this link regarding casio compatibility with Windows 10.

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/8970-usb-midi-driver-for-windows-10/

This thread I saw a few weeks ago and before joining to post. Brad Saucier in the thread recommend two links http://support.casio.com/en/support/download.php?cid=008&pid=72 for 32 and 64 bit drivers. I did not see px150 listed but I bieleve I did install both onto my computer anyway and then tried some of this link

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware-winpc/how-to-install-and-update-hardware-drivers-in/a97bbbd1-9973-4d66-9a5b-291300006293

Which talks about converting drivers back to Windows 7 through compatibility mode. I will explore more of this article. I did try some of this a couple weeks ago downloaded the 32 bit and 64 bit drivers on there links provided and then tried to revert those to windows 7 though troubleshoot compatibility mode.

It sounds like Windows should have native drivers so I was not going to do much with this.

I will order a new cable and keep exploring these articles.

Can someone provide a link or recommend a vendor for a good usb cable that would work.

T Advanced member for some reason I can not see your posts. 

thank you everyone, I will keep working this morning and post updates but I do wonder if there is something in the device manager-sound video game controllers - casio USB -MIDI properties window that I should do something with?

I would delete the Casio USB midi driver from device manager. Disconnect and re-connect the usb cable and PX150 after you do this. Close device manager but click "refresh" first if Windows 10 has that option (I only have 7). Re-open device manager, re-connect the PX150 and cable and watch device manager, see if anything changes. If there is still no communication, if the PX150 is still not being recognized, if you still see no midi input device in Midiox and other software after you do this, now disconnect everything again and re-install the Casio midi driver-but right click the driver first-look for the right click context menu-again I don't know windows 10 but if it is similar to 7 you will see "troubleshoot compatibility". Install the driver by clicking that option. Windows will check the driver and assign  (Hopefully and install it)  in compatibility mode-it is supposed to detect if the driver will not install correctly in Windows 10 (it might still do that if you uninstall and re-install it) but run it in compatibility mode and see what happens. It should bring up a prompt telling you what mode it has changed to if it detected it needed to. Often, my drivers and software programs end up running in Windows XP service pack II-yep no idea why but this has worked for me with certain drivers and software.

I suspect-and especially after reading the official Casio compatibility list-that since the PX150 is not listed as compatible with Windows 10, you do need to install the Casio driver specific for the PX150, the driver Brad refers to as for older Casios.

One ther bit of info-I've posted this elsewhere here at Casio-the Windows USB driver technically was originally only designed for audio, not midi data. I researched this through Microsoft and it reads like that is still true-it was not really ever designed for transporting midi data! I don't know how this works with the newer class-compliant Casios-that need no driver to get the midi data back and forth but that does work. However-I think alot of the problems such as you (and me and others) have faced with the older equipment is due to this fact-the Windows USB driver is not sufficient to stream midi data, unless a device is "class-compliant".  If you study the Microsoft spec for their usb driver, you will see this described.  Therefore, you will need a specific driver that is designed for midi data exclusively, and not usb audio.  This is why all the majors-Edirol/Roland, M-audio, Korg, Yamaha etc. provide these midi specific drivers for their products, and I have had to install these to use those keyboards with a computer-if equipment is not class-compliant and i don't think the PX150 is although the PX160 is, you do need to have the Casio USB "midi" driver installed, along with the Microsoft Windows USB driver-both must be installed in order to "handshake" midi data in and out of the computer and keyboard.

And finally-I am quoting from Sweetwater Music, I hope this is OK:

"Mac and Windows come with generic USB drivers; there are several types, known as “classes,” such as USB Video Device Class, USB MIDI Device Class, USB Mass Storage Class, etc. Peripherals that can work with those class drivers are referred to as “class compliant.” Because those “class” drivers are generic, they may not support product-specific or proprietary features — to access those non-“class” features usually requires a proprietary driver from the device’s manufacturer." end of quote.

And this, I believe is why we have such trouble with our older music keyboards. the older Windows USB driver is not class-compliant. Only the newer Windows drivers are able to drive video, midi audio and mass storage devices-outboard hard drives, cards, etc. This must be why for newer Casios, we need no additional driver aside from the Windows included driver, and these newer drivers (for example the one included with Windows 10) may not be able to be "backwards compatible" with older keyboards that are not "class compliant". Or, the older music equipment is not capable of using the code built into the new Windows class-compliant drivers for usb. Just my guess and intuition. My older PX575 Casio is not class-complaint, uses a usb connection and it will not work with my Windows machines without the older Casio USB driver and the Windows USB driver installed-the Windows USB driver alone does not work with this puppy. Sorry if this sounds complicated-but this is what happens when 2 completely different industries have to mesh-it has not always been "smooth sailing." But the technical benefits for creating music in 2018 are huge, even better than a few years ago........when everything works!

:hitt:              :cheers: