Video Files on Forum ×

Connecting iPad USB Midi and Audio In

MidiMatt

I'm using some Audio SW and Music learning apps on an iPad together with PX-560 and wanted to share my experience to get that working, I think might be interesting as not everything was working smoothly from the beginning. In general I wanted to allow MIDI out from PX-560 via USB Midi to iPad and wanted to connect outgoing audio to PX-560 "AUDIO IN" connector while using "AUDIO VOLUME" knob at the back to adjust level.

Here a picture of the final setup:

IMG_4315.jpg.934f9866ec1e7b42c9d208a4e37b547a.jpg

On the top left you see the audio connector for AUDIO IN of PX-560 and right top there is the USB for USB MIDI port of PX-560. I use iPad air 2 (with lightning connector) still with IOS 11 here, obviously in the middle :-). And on the left you see an audio filter, and on the right the apple adapter plus power supply.

In the beginning I also read some other forums and basically it was suggest to use some apple photo adapter or camera kit in different versions. I could luckily borrow two versions of this older stuff to try it out, but it was in my setup not working or working instable. Furthermore a huge problem is that you cannot attach USB and power supply for recharging in parallel so you will run quickly out of power. Then I found a relativerly new adapter which is sometimes called Apple Lightning to USB3.0, the apple model number is A1619. This one was working fine and has the possibility to connect power supply and USB same time. Only the apple pricing is really nasty, it is around 40-50 USD/EUR. 😞

I was really happy when I had it working  properly  but then I connected audio and had really bad noise in the audio. After further investigation this is caused by some ground loop problem as the ipad is connected to PX-560 ground wise to USB AND AUDIO IN (or Line IN if you like to use that). One could turn up iPad volume to max and regulate with audio volume knob on PX-560 audio down, you can then work with it, but it was still a bit there.

I tried then a audio ground loop isolator in the audio connection here a PAC SNI-1/3.5 for about 15 USD/EUR. Then it was luckily fine and the audio noise was gone. I think if it is just for hearing the sound and not any recording all kind of these filters are fine. But you have to be aware that there is always a small influence on audio spectrum. So the one I picked was tested by some people an Amazon which claimed it will harm the audio spectrum as less as possible. So I like it and I'm not able to hear a significant influence in the audio.

As MIDI testing tool to get everything running in the beginning or later to also find out about Midi traffic going out of PX-560 you could use the "MIDI Wrench" app which I really like. If you connect to a PC for MIDI testing I can recommend MIDI-OX.

I hope this is somehow helpful and will save others from a lot of experimenting and spending money on useless overpriced apple adapters. I would be keen to hear of your experience with that topic. Furthermore any opinions about the audio noise/ground loop are welcome, is it a Casio or apple issue or both ? Did anyone come across that ? Is it present with different tablets or adapters ?

Thanks Brad good idea makes certainly sense. However I did it actually that way as I used the MIDI DIN out already for connect to PC. My aim was not having to change connectors when using PX-560 with PC or iPad. So it is now working, but sure audio filters are never nice to use when there is another way to workaround

• 2 weeks later...

(IK Multimedia iRig Keys)

1) You may use a different class of keyboard/controller.

Something like iRig Keys.

When controller connected to iPad it charges the iPad batteries. The keyboard has to be connected to an external power supply.

iRig Keys has headphones audio output which will play sounds instead of iPad (iPad will feed in audio through USB ).

iKey is a pure controller it does not have sound banks.

It comes with massive sound libraries.

I do not know another MIDI controllers which can charge batteries on iPad.

(Roland solution)

2) Another option to use BT for MIDI and audio interface between a controller and iPad and an external changer.

(PX + BT Yamaha solution )

3) Use BT (external BT adapter like Yamaha) for MIDI interface.  Connect audio-out iPad to  PX audio-in and connect a charger to iPad 

• 1 year later...

It depends on the model. More recent MacBook Pro models don't have any audio in ports, though older models do. You would have to see if it has that port on it. If it does, you could plug in directly using a combination of cables and adapters.

Otherwise, you'll need an audio interface.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 3:15 PM, Sheldona said:

What’s the best way to record on my MacBook Pro the total audio output including presets from my Casio px560?

Remember you can also record directly to a USB drive. To me that's the easiest way.

• Like 1