Video Files on Forum ×

Next Generation Privia (Casio PX-S1000 & PX-S3000)

Brad Saucier

16 hours ago, LarryK said:

It's funny, I tried to sign up on the MusicPlayer site and I have yet to receive my email confirmation email. Maybe they found out I'm pre-ordering the S3000 and have blocked me! 

There is a lot of good discussion on that site about the 3000 and the 1000. The Casio guys hang out over there.

There may be something going on with that. In conversations with Dave Bryce, the moderator, he said he had NOT received a number of messages that I sent to him. I'll drop him a note about this.

On 2/14/2019 at 1:41 PM, AlenK said:

When that video was posted at the the Keyboard Corner (one of the MusicPlayer.com forums) one sarcastic response was "Is the goal here to get to the point where we see only PX S3000 threads on the first page? We may all have to buy it just to reclaim some space." 

There have been a grand total of three threads on that forum concerning Casio's new Privia models; hardly enough to fill the first page. They are certainly justified for what is an exciting new line of products. But three threads concerning Casio products is apparently too many. Just another sign of Casio's uphill battle to get respect from professional keyboard players, who it must be said are not as important in the keyboard world as they seem to think they are. (Unless they are someone who is actually famous and can help sell keyboards by name recognition. No one who posts there appears to be that famous, or famous at all.)

Way to be "histrionic" about one comment. ;) Those threads should be put in the overall PX-S1000/PX-S3000 thread. It's just good netiquette, and it makes it easier for those searching for information later to find what they are looking for.

Yeah, lots of the guys there are weekend warriors, cover band players, etc. but there are also guys who have or are playing with bands and recorded with artists like George Strait, the Fabulous Thunderbirds, and Heart. There was also the guy who played with A Fine Frenzy and Jason Bonham who used a Casio PX on the road. In fact, Mike has recruited a few Casio artists from that very forum. It's not perfect, but what is?

4 hours ago, Joe Muscara said:

Way to be "histrionic" about one comment. ;)

I am not normally histrionic. You can check my posting record. Regarding my later point about that, there are guys at that forum who go completely over the top more times than I think is healthy. It's almost always the regular posters who do it and Dave generally allows it. It's just not an atmosphere I enjoy. I read it from time to time only to see what is being said about certain keyboards. Other people obviously enjoy it. To each his own.

Please can I ask about the expression pedal on the s3000.  Really looking forward to being able to control volume with a simple pedal.  Any chance of being able to control the (upper) split zone without altering the (lower) zone (still need keyboard velocity on the lower zone if possible)?

Thanks

Peter

(PS I am also having trouble signing up to musicplayer forum - no confirmation email)

2 hours ago, Peter H said:

Please can I ask about the expression pedal on the s3000.  Really looking forward to being able to control volume with a simple pedal.  Any chance of being able to control the (upper) split zone without altering the (lower) zone (still need keyboard velocity on the lower zone if possible)?

Thanks

Peter

(PS I am also having trouble signing up to musicplayer forum - no confirmation email)

I just wrote them at nbmforums@newbaymail.com to report that I have not received a confirmation email even though it says my registration was successful. I have tried twice. I checked my spam folder but I did not find the email in there. 

Update: My email to their Contact Us email address, shown above, just bounced back saying Host Unknown. That could be part of the problem.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peter H said:

This is something we would need the manuals to answer.  Hopefully they'll be released in next week or two. 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2019 at 8:25 AM, LarryK said:
On 2/20/2019 at 5:33 AM, Peter H said:

I just wrote them at nbmforums@newbaymail.com to report that I have not received a confirmation email even though it says my registration was successful. I have tried twice. I checked my spam folder but I did not find the email in there. 

Update: My email to their Contact Us email address, shown above, just bounced back saying Host Unknown. That could be part of the problem.

[Sorry for continuing the OT, Brad.]

I've contacted KC forum moderator Dave Bryce about this, and he said he'd contact the system administrator. I know that Dave has not received some emails the system was supposed to send him, so it's likely the same problem. If either or both of you wish to discuss this further, please PM me.

Back on topic - I watched that "Liszt" video and it was great, as was the Better Music review. Though there's possibly one issue with the Better Music review. When he's talking about the PX-S1000, they show a shot of the ports on the back, and there's one for Expression Pedal. When they show the ports on the PX-S3000, it's the same ones. I'm pretty sure the PX-S1000 does not have an expression pedal port, both according to CasioMusicGear.com and Casio-intl.com. They seemed to have used the same shot for both.

• Like 2

Another new video from NAMM

Kristian is playing backing tracks from his iPhone which is connected to the keyboard through Bluetooth. The tracks are: 0:00 - Mr. W 2:29 - Perception 4:43 - Seven's Blues For more information on the PX-S3000 visit: http://www.casiomusicgear.com For more information on Kristian Terzić visit: http://www.kristianterzic.com

• Like 4

Good video Joe! I have a few backing tracks in ckf I've uploaded here-that are similar style-wise-older fusion style which seems to still be popular with keyboard players apaprently! also a midi file I've had for years of a Micheal Brecker arrangement. Makes me happy to see musicians still playing and appreciating these types of arrangements. So much good music has developed in my lifetime, I tended towards jazz from the beginning since I started playing before all the British rock, progressive and blues-based groups developed.  Nice to see some be-bop playing here too. and I thought I was "old-hat" with this stuff. Looks like a contender for a good additional or replacement Casio. Will keep my eyes (and ears) open for product availability. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brad Saucier said:

The manuals are not up on the Casio support worldwide site. Where did you find these links?  I'd prefer to see links to the download pages. I would not consider these as "published" manuals until they are one of Casio's websites. 

Somebody posted them on the PianoWorld forum. I think that support pages on Casio's website have not been updated to reach them yet but the files are on the Casio website, as you can see by looking at the urls.

Somebody else said no Midi over Bluetooth, did we expect differently?

49 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

Yes, we have known for a while that Bluetooth is for audio in only.  I would guess that Bluetooth audio support was spurred by a trend of cell phone manufacturers moving away from including headphone jacks in their products.

I think also adding a BT audio input is a cheap thing to do, because you need only to add the signal on the analogue output getting them from a BT audio IC receiver. https://www.elecfreaks.com/estore/portable-wireless-bluetooth-audio-receiver-board.html

As you can see they are cheap, for 15$ you get a nice PCB with also two usb connector, an sdcard slot ad five buttons. BT midi is more complex because either the CPU has to read two midi in sources, one from USB and the other from BT-midi or one has to add an external microcontrollet that muxes the two midi streams.

Now that I am thinking about is if Casio design an adapter to convert BT-MIDI and DIN-MIDI for their existin keyboards it will sell some, and with the price point of Kenton gear there is some room for improvement.