Video Files on Forum ×

Next Generation Privia (Casio PX-S1000 & PX-S3000)

Brad Saucier

I generally play with headphones, nobody has complained. 

I was told that the stand dimensions are: 52.25" wide, 14.50" deep, and 26" tall. I gain nine and a half inches with regards to the desk that it will be replacing,  so that's good. 

Thanks for clarifying what was slim about the keys. 

• Like 1

So is the momentum of the keys-the key length the same as the PX350, 360, 560?  And how about the key throw-the depth of the key travel-these are the most important specs for me. And I thought the PX-350 was pretty amazing in terms of how slim a design it was-with a really good piano action. I wrote a college term paper many years ago, describing how I thought if more people had music instruments, in particular pianos, in their homes, people might be trying to kill each other a little less (maybe, it was a theoretical paper)! Looks like Casio must have read my paper (joke)-I did ace the course-my professor was not a musician but he must have liked the idea! With all these new Casio  pianos-40+ years later (yes I'm an old-timer) maybe...

..:www.MessenTools.com-Frutas-pianodance:

Of course in the Wild West there were piano players in many bars, and that didn't stop them from Being Clint Eastwood-at least on TV. And he plays a pretty decent blues piano. 

4 hours ago, LarryK said:

I generally play with headphones, nobody has complained. 

I was told that the stand dimensions are: 52.25" wide, 14.50" deep, and 26" tall. I gain nine and a half inches with regards to the desk that it will be replacing,  so that's good. 

Thanks for clarifying what was slim about the keys. 

What is your keyboard right now ?

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, sslyutov said:

What is your keyboard right now ?

It's a CT-X700. I love it but I miss the rest of the keys and feel funny sitting in front of middle C on that keyboard. I took some piano lessons years ago and am trying to get back into it. To me, $799 is a reasonable price. I was told that the 3000 will not ship until April. When April rolls around, I'll sell the 700 or gift it to a friend's young daughter. The 700 is a blast to play, and it sounds great. 

13 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

So is the momentum of the keys-the key length the same as the PX350, 360, 560?  And how about the key throw-the depth of the key travel-these are the most important specs for me. And I thought the PX-350 was pretty amazing in terms of how slim a design it was-with a really good piano action. I wrote a college term paper many years ago, describing how I thought if more people had music instruments, in particular pianos, in their homes, people might be trying to kill each other a little less (maybe, it was a theoretical paper)! Looks like Casio must have read my paper (joke)-I did ace the course-my professor was not a musician but he must have liked the idea! With all these new Casio  pianos-40+ years later (yes I'm an old-timer) maybe...

..:www.MessenTools.com-Frutas-pianodance:

Of course in the Wild West there were piano players in many bars, and that didn't stop them from Being Clint Eastwood-at least on TV. And he plays a pretty decent blues piano. 

Well, I can conclude that with both hands on a keyboard it is hard to fire a gun! The solution is practicing 24/7. 

I suppose I'm getting back into playing because I hear my neighbor, in the building behind mine, practice her grand piano almost every day. She's a good player and is an inspiration. I don't know if her downstairs neighbor feels the same way; I have seen that apartment turn over once already. 

I like the fact that these keyboards can be totally silent. I had an old Yamaha Disklavier at one point in my life, basically a U1 with the piano player mechanism, and that thing was not silent. 

Is it easy for me to use this keyboard with a sample set from VSL? I'm thinking of upgrading the classical guitar sounds. The keyboard will be in the same room as my Mac so I can run cables between them easily. I think I would run a midi out cable to the computer and then audio out back to the keyboard. I always have the keyboard hooked up to an iPad for the Piano Marvel app, and sound output from that back into the keyboard. Can I have both at the same time? How do I assign the new sound to a preset?

13 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

So is the momentum of the keys-the key length the same as the PX350, 360, 560?  And how about the key throw-the depth of the key travel-these are the most important specs for me.

Mike Martin has posted that of all the players that tried the PX-S1000 and PX-S3000 at NAMM, no one has complained about the "shorter" key length, and, in fact, many or all of them said the new action is better than the previous models.

You can see the size of the actions compared here. The key length is clearly shorter, but somehow Casio has seemed to make that not matter to those who have played it.

If the pivot point is further back the key may actually feel the same as the 350/560 I play. I will have to try one to really know. This different action may respond a little quicker if the keys are shorter-better for fast passages as long as the key throw feels the same. Grand pianos have  longer keys than some uprights and a heavier action. That's why I like the 350 and 560, it is closer to the grand pianos I've played and learned technique from . 

5 hours ago, Joe Muscara said:

Mike Martin has posted that of all the players that tried the PX-S1000 and PX-S3000 at NAMM, no one has complained about the "shorter" key length, and, in fact, many or all of them said the new action is better than the previous models.

You can see the size of the actions compared here. The key length is clearly shorter, but somehow Casio has seemed to make that not matter to those who have played it.

It looks to me that the playable key length is almost exactly the same but that the pivot point has been brought back under the key in the new action. 

It is a beautiful looking keyboard. Aesthetics matter. 

On 2/6/2019 at 10:31 AM, LarryK said:

It looks to me that the playable key length is almost exactly the same but that the pivot point has been brought back under the key in the new action. 

Ohhhhhh, you're right. Good catch! I hadn't noticed the pivot point was lowered with respect to the top of the key.

Casio has been posting some performances on these keyboards from NAMM and if these guys are happy with it, you know it's good.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Jokeyman123 said:

When will we see these in the marketplace? When are the usual NAMM product releases brought to the marketplace?

Around April is when they should start becoming widely available.  I see quite a few people on various forums mentioned they have placed a pre-order for one.  I'm thinking the first batch will get snatched up really quickly.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

Are the backing patterns coming from the Privias?

I can't say for sure, but I've noticed in some cases such as Larry Dunn, there is another device such as a smart phone that may be providing the backing tracks.

But note that the PX-S3000 has 200 built-in rhythms. I presume there's space for user rhythms, and between that and the 700 tones, you can make whatever backing rhythm you want.

• Like 1

Thanks Joe. I haven't searched for the manual online, but I will to look at this. I might replace one of my Privias with one of these if the features are suitable for what I like to do. Would be hard to part with any of my Privias-certainly not the 560, but the others aren't shabby either. Tough call. Guess you can tell, Casio has my "market-share!" Have to see what I can hide under the bed!

• Like 1

On 2/9/2019 at 9:59 AM, Jokeyman123 said:

Just checked, no manuals yet. But diagram for keys is good-looks like the key fulcrum point is shorter, but the hammer end looks bigger (heavier) so the throw might feel the same or as I am guessing, slightly faster. Have to wait and see when these come out.

Please post on here when the manual is released, I'd like to read through it.  

When that video was posted at the the Keyboard Corner (one of the MusicPlayer.com forums) one sarcastic response was "Is the goal here to get to the point where we see only PX S3000 threads on the first page? We may all have to buy it just to reclaim some space." 

There have been a grand total of three threads on that forum concerning Casio's new Privia models; hardly enough to fill the first page. They are certainly justified for what is an exciting new line of products. But three threads concerning Casio products is apparently too many. Just another sign of Casio's uphill battle to get respect from professional keyboard players, who it must be said are not as important in the keyboard world as they seem to think they are. (Unless they are someone who is actually famous and can help sell keyboards by name recognition. No one who posts there appears to be that famous, or famous at all.)

Just posted a video somewhere here of my friend's nephew Marco-who is a very fine younger player, and most recently has been playing the baloney out of an old upright on the road, plus what looks like a speak-and-spell or some other toy keyboard he likes to use. He milked my brain about the older stuff-he loves Wurlitzers, old Hammonds and toy keys. Haven't seen him lately, he's always touring,  has a pretty good following, usually as a trio. His father didn't want him to be a musician.......he told me and was very upset about it, wanted him to be a lawyer (!)  Marco seems happy though....pretty amazing chops. 

On 2/14/2019 at 2:41 PM, AlenK said:

When that video was posted at the the Keyboard Corner (one of the MusicPlayer.com forums) one sarcastic response was "Is the goal here to get to the point where we see only PX S3000 threads on the first page? We may all have to buy it just to reclaim some space." 

There have been a grand total of three threads on that forum concerning Casio's new Privia models; hardly enough to fill the first page. They are certainly justified for what is an exciting new line of products. But three threads concerning Casio products is apparently too many. Just another sign of Casio's uphill battle to get respect from professional keyboard players, who it must be said are not as important in the keyboard world as they seem to think they are. (Unless they are someone who is actually famous and can help sell keyboards by name recognition. No one who posts there appears to be that famous, or famous at all.)

It's funny, I tried to sign up on the MusicPlayer site and I have yet to receive my email confirmation email. Maybe they found out I'm pre-ordering the S3000 and have blocked me! 

There is a lot of good discussion on that site about the 3000 and the 1000. The Casio guys hang out over there.

9 hours ago, LarryK said:

It's funny, I tried to sign up on the MusicPlayer site and I have yet to receive my email confirmation email. Maybe they found out I'm pre-ordering the S3000 and have blocked me! 

There is a lot of good discussion on that site about the 3000 and the 1000. The Casio guys hang out over there.

Not being signed up there is no great loss. I read it from time to time but don't post there anymore. Too many histrionic posters. Very ingrained group think. 

• Like 1