Video Files on Forum ×

PX S3000 Line Out working?

thobert

Having done yet another recording with the PX-S series this week, I can assure you that there is no issue with the output level. As mentioned previously the level is identical - to the output of the PX-560 and PX-5S which are used by touring musicians worldwide.  Some of those same musicians are now also using the PX-S3000 without issue.  The level is set specifically to provide headroom for the number of simultaneous sounds the PX-S can create at once. In the case of the PX-S3000 that includes all sounds played live from the keyboard, accompaniment, MIDI File playback, Audio File playback and from USB MIDI. 

• Like 3

I have never had any trouble with any line out connections on any of my Casio Privias-560, 350, 575 and the XW-P1 although the 575 only has a stereo headphone out which works fine through any of my outboard equipment if I use my recording trim controls properly -and I use these with a variety of equipment including 1) a powered 8-channel mixing board with 2 10" 3-way PA speakers,  2) six different digital recorders-a Fostex MR16, 2 Roland VS-840s, a Boss BR600, a Korg D16, a Tascam DP-008 and 3) even a DIY line out amp I made for connecting headphones just for giggles. Works fine with any of these. I don't have the 3000 but I can't believe Casio would suddenly change electronic specs for a Privia designed to be part of that design lineage.  Is yours defective? 

Ok, I'm back. Received my new mixer today.  I am red-faced! Installed the mixer into my rack rig and voila, I get sound output from the 3000's line outputs. Very good sound too. Of course depending on what gear you have in your rig you must adjust all your sound levels. I put the 3000's volume control at 3/4 up, that worked fine. HOWEVER........to mute the internal speakers you still must use a dummy plug into one of the headphone inputs. I guess I can live with that, HOWEVER...........nah. Here is the link to Mike Martin's webinar on the 3000: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goPJwd6zM5o

Excellent info, highly recommended. Anyway, Thanks to everyone for responding and I look forward to sharing and reading our experiences with the PX-S3000.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2 month old px350 with a similar problem.  Using the 1/4 mono out line either to a mixer or directly to a speaker.  Sometimes it works and there is sound from both the onboard speakers and external speaker, sometimes it doesnt work and only the onboard speakers work with a mono out connected.  Huge issue because the keyboard was purchased for gigging.  Casio has some 'no sound' issues with their products.

8 hours ago, Cheryl Q said:

I have a 2 month old px350 with a similar problem.  Using the 1/4 mono out line either to a mixer or directly to a speaker.  Sometimes it works and there is sound from both the onboard speakers and external speaker, sometimes it doesnt work and only the onboard speakers work with a mono out connected.  Huge issue because the keyboard was purchased for gigging.  Casio has some 'no sound' issues with their products.

Hi Cheryl, this probably should be in the PX-350 forum, but since it's a similar issue, it might be okay here.

In order to help, we need to know more.  Are you using a dummy plug or headphones in the headphone jack when using the LINE OUT?  That is very important.  What type of cables are you using?  

Reading this thread again, you'll notice that the reported issue ended up being caused by other gear or by user error.  The PX-350 shares the same output circuitry as the PX-5S.  Thousands of owners of both the PX-350 and PX-5S have gigged professionally with no issues.  Whenever there is an issue, it's usually elsewhere, not a flaw in the Casio keyboard.  

• Like 1

No sound issues? I have 4 Casios, never had any problems like that in 5 years of playing all of them including a PX350. Watch your cables-not all are designed quite right. I've had more than one cable with slightly different sleeve length-so these don't fit into the jacks properly-even a sustain pedal had the same problem and didn't work. I only figured this out when I compared it to one that worked. Just 1/8" difference in sleeve length prevented it from making proper contact in the jack. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/22/2019 at 7:59 PM, thobert said:

I did some additional testing and here is what I found. 

My main use case for the keyboard is for home recording where I want to record the audio from the keyboard through my audio interface, to my DAW as an audio track, and monitor the DAW back out through my audio interface with my studio monitors or headphones connected to the audio interface.    (Incidentally, I don't need any help with the keyboard as a MIDI controller...that works fine...so I'm really just talking about that specific audio output use case.)

The line out does in fact work:

1) plug in a random mini plug into the headphone jacks in the front of the unit to kill the onboard speakers

2) turn the keyboard volume to max...yes max...see point 3

3) I eke out an audio signal in my DAW.  Below is the meter with the volume maxed and with me hammering on the keys at max velocity.   Workable, yes, but given the pro-audio +4 dBu specifications of the Line Out, just doesn't seem right.     I don't have the equipment to verify the 1.3 Volt MAX RMS output of the line outs, so I'll leave it at that.  If I ever need a stronger signal, I might just end up using the Microphone out and not the Line out.    

To answer funkycornwall's specific question, I see no increase or decrease on the Line Out strength from plugging in (or unplugging) my random mini plug to disable the onboard speakers.

Thanks all for your suggestions!

978861646_ScreenShot2019-04-22at4_42_02PM.png.d9a99038a964c1b4941d1f0220781ab6.png

This has been my experience as well.  The line out volume is so low that I have to start introducing noise just get proper sound.  There is also no way I could use this piano with any other piece of equipment as I would have to turn everything else down so low to match.  This is my second piano as I have already exchanged the first one.  The sound through the onboard speaker is absolutely terrible but, I don't care I wanted to plug it in through the LINE Out as the action is amazing and everything else is great.  However, the LINE Out is soooo low with volume to the max that it's not possible to get a decent signal or use it with other instruments.

Maybe this is a broken unit as well but, seeing other people having this same problem makes me believe this is just how it is with digital piano.  If that is the case it's really a shame as I loved everything about it but, with crappy speakers and no way to get a proper output from LINE Outs is totally useless.

On 4/20/2019 at 3:03 AM, kybdsammer said:

Are there any other PX-S3000 owners who have successfully used the line out jacks?

I am not having any of the issues discussed here and have been using the line out jacks successfully with a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface, with a Yamaha MG06X mixer into QSC k8's, and directly into the K8's without a mixer. The S3000 has performed beautifully in all scenarios. I just did a test with the same Yamaha mixer and a pair of FBT 8ba's. It sounds awesome and I could detect no audible effect on the line out sound when plugging in 2 different sets of headphones. I will say that the various Yamaha pianos I've owned put out a hotter signal than the S3000 (too hot for one keyboard amp), but my S3000 has been putting out plenty of clear full sound through the line out jacks. No complaints!

• Like 2

On 6/26/2019 at 4:52 PM, dusan78 said:

This has been my experience as well.  The line out volume is so low that I have to start introducing noise just get proper sound.  There is also no way I could use this piano with any other piece of equipment as I would have to turn everything else down so low to match.  This is my second piano as I have already exchanged the first one.  The sound through the onboard speaker is absolutely terrible but, I don't care I wanted to plug it in through the LINE Out as the action is amazing and everything else is great.  However, the LINE Out is soooo low with volume to the max that it's not possible to get a decent signal or use it with other instruments.

Maybe this is a broken unit as well but, seeing other people having this same problem makes me believe this is just how it is with digital piano.  If that is the case it's really a shame as I loved everything about it but, with crappy speakers and no way to get a proper output from LINE Outs is totally useless.

Hello again,

I want to give an update as to what I have discovered that might help someone having problems with noise and line out connections.  My problems were as stated previously that I was getting noise (like moving static noise sounds) introduced as soon as I tried to raise the input level to where volume was normal or acceptable.  This noise was also heard through headphone jacks as well.  I want to state that I bought this DP because of amazing action, small footprint and ability to use MIDI for my VSTs.  So I am using a NI KK M32 simply for the touch sensitive knobs which I can use control VST paramaters and I can use all the keys to load up whatever presets I want to have on call.   

So obviously I also have a USB plugged into my PX-S3000 for midi.  Well totally by accident as I was moving my cables around I unplugged the USB and noticed something happen.  The annoying static noise was gone!  I couldn't believe it and finally heard what I had hear by watching YouTube demos of the Casio.  Hell yea! I can now record this no problem and signal is clean and usable.  So I am not sure what does USB have to do with introducing noise but, it most certainly does something.  If anyone can maybe test this scenario out and let me know if everyone has this problem when USB and LINE Out is used.  

Hopefully this is helpful and I am super excited to at least be able to use this beauty of key action.  I was getting worried about having to find another DP and there is no way you would be able to find all these features for this cheap of a price.  And this DP and a $100 dollar M32 or any other small controller for MIDI beats everything in the just MIDI keyboards.

Someone please post about the USB and Line out if you have the means to test it.  And if anyone is interested I could record the noise if someone wants to compare.

Cheers!

In the wise words of the WEDDING SINGER, "...once again things that could have been brought to my attention yesterday!!!!"  hahahaha

Thank you, this is really helpful.  I can't believe I never even heard of this before.  I even tested plugging the DP in different amps and using different cables and I even had the DP plugged into my UPS battery.   These little things aren't cheap for sure.  Do you know if I can plug a hub in and from there distribute to all USB devices, or would you need one per device.

Well, you learn something new every day.

Thanks Brad!

• 1 month later...

Hello, 

I'm having the same issues with LINE out on S3000. I tried to plug in headphone jack and then LINE out started to work, also I tried to unplug headphone jacks and LINE out are still working but with built in speakers on. Why is this happening? How to fix that? 

Hi Igor0,

With my situation of this nature I found that the internal speakers are not muted when connecting the line outs. The volume knob must be turned near all the way up to get a suitable signal into your rig/mixer. This also means that the internal speakers are blasting away at full volume. I can't hear the monitored mix. Not good Casio. Besides the internal speakers are not very good. So what I have to do is use the one of the headphone outs connected to my rig/mixer. This mutes the internal speakers as intended. The headphone outs send a very good signal and produce a full bodied tone ( I use the mellow piano tone setting). The internal speakers produce a very tinny sound. So I went into the DSP settings and found the Stereo3BndEQ selection. Read the section on Using a DSP in the full user's manual on pg EN-23 and 24. Also see pg EN-77. The EN refers to English version. Here is the link to download: https://support.casio.com/en/manual/manualfile.php?cid=008021002

Now for your situation.  If when you plugged in headphones into one of the headphone jacks then the internal speakers should be muted. If not then something is wrong with the circuitry which means your piano is defective. Unplugging the headphone will unmute the internal speakers as they should. You can also use a dummy plug in the headphone out which will mute the internal speakers then connect the line outs into your rig/mixer. I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

@Mojo of the G Thank you! Yes, when I plug in headphones into one of the jacks then internal speakers are muted. I'm using audio interface for testing line out and it sounds good but I will try to connect on mixer to see how it goes. But after I unplugged headphones then the internal speakers are unmuted and line out is working as well. I tried that yesterday for the first time..

I tried to connect to a mixer and it sounds excellent with dummy plug in headphones input(speakers are muted) and throw line out. Next, I tried to connect throw headphones input, it sounds also good but not so strong like throw line out. Also when I play, I can hear sound of pressing keys a little bit..I don't know if it's normal or not..

I don't know if it pays off to contact my seller and return keyboard and ask to get correct keyboard?

1 hour ago, Brad Saucier said:

What do you mean?  It sounds like everything is working correctly. 

Is it correctly to have dummy plug in headphones input to get sound throw line out and volume knob set on maximum or hearing sound of pressing keys?

Awhile ago, I had a CTK Casio that did the same thing. I installed a simple on/off switch to turn off the speakers when I wanted to run line outs with the speakers off. The PX560 has a menu item that allows you to turn the speakers on/off independently of any other connections. I don't mind having speakers on with line outs connected to a PA or other amp, as it helps me monitor my playing  in an ensemble or large noisy room where I would find it hard or impossible to hear myself play anything in competition with other musicians if my sound system is out front or even close by. Not a dealbreaker for me at least.

Hi Igor0,

Regarding the noise from the keys, that is something you can adjust. It is one of the features of the 3000 piano. In the full manual refer to Pg EN-25 and 26, Adjusting Acoustic Piano Sound Characteristics (Acoustic Simulator). There are 5 settings: String Resonance, Damper Resonance, Damper Noise, Key On Action Noise, and Key Off Action Noise. See if you can change either of the last two settings.

As far as how you want to manage the sound output that is your choice. Your responses tell me that the piano is operating fine in that regard. Adjusting the piano's volume knob for external output is another user choice. Just remember inserting a dummy plug or headphones is a way to mute the internal speakers and nothing more. If you need the internal speakers on then plug nothing into the headphone inputs.

What Mojo says is where I was headed.  The PX-S3000 has key action effects for piano sounds in order to sound more realistic.  As Mojo mentions, it is adjustable.  As far as your volume knob position, that depends on how much gain you are using in the mixer channel preamp.  You could probably turn up the gain on your mixer channel (not to be confused with mixer channel level) and then turn down the keyboard volume.  

• 2 months later...

I just received my Casio PX- S3000 today from an online seller, set it up and everything seems to work BUT no audio signal from the line out jacks. Baffling  since I had just unhooked another keyboard from the sound system with everything working fine. To A/B the situation,  I hooked up the old keyboard to the sound system and had audio signal through its jacks. Therefore the problem then is with the Casio's jacks. Not sure what to do other than return it to seller. Not happy with this situation.