Video Files on Forum ×

Bluetooth with any Casio

I just purchased one of these, a bluetooth transmitter/receiver with 1/8 inch stereo connectors-not very expensive.

bluetooth.jpg.d03ec136e5612d0c89b61eb5b234fecb.jpg

I am going to try pairing this with a set of stereo bluetooth bookshelf speakers I just bought-could make for a nice portable sound system for the Casio Privias, as an added dimension to built-in speakers/monitors. And since there are now so many options for [portable bluetooth speaker systems, thought this was worth an experiment. Supposed to be good out to 10 yards or so and cost less than 15.00 US. I will post my results later today after I see if this actually works! The only problem I foresee is that the headphone outputs on the Casios will not provide line-level signal quality, but with a setup like this, might not matter much. and the speakers are powered monitors with tone and volume controls. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately not being very experienced with Bluetooth technology, I failed to realize-there is considerable latency with a Bluetooth connection, at least with this equipment. So for live monitoring in realtime performance, I will not be able to use this, the latency is noticeable. For playing compositions for accompaniment from recordings through the PX it will work and the Insignia bookshelf speakers sound pretty amazing-the bass response is very strong for their size-won't need a subwoofer, the mids and highs are excellent, at least with my PX560  used for this test, and the signal is clear, no signal loss or interference. I did not realize there would be such a delay though-possibly I am doing something wrong, or this device as cheap as it is, may not be able to transmit with no latency. If anyone can clue me, is this typical of bluetooth transmission? At least 500 milliseconds I'm guessing

Yes, I've tried this and encountered the same latency issue. So far I haven't found one that is as fast as a wired connection. Maybe a new Bluetooth spec would improve this.  I would be very interested if someone has found a wireless connection with no latency or at least very little noticeable latency.

It's the limitations of the Bluetooth spec, especially in the older versions.  This is why Casio did not implement MIDI over Bluetooth on the PX-S models.  It works fine for listening to music, but not for use as a musical instrument monitor or controller.  It's probably best to look at wireless systems designed for musical instruments and PA systems, like a guitar wireless system.

Thanks everyone. I have a small portable wireless system that runs in the 900Mhz frequency range designed for stereo equipment, and this has no latency-I think. Has 1/8" stereo jacks-the transmitter plugs into any stereo audio output-but again not line-outs, only headphone impedances for this one. The receiver is a small belt-pack runs off 2 AA cells and has the same 1/8" stereo jack for output to any stereo set of phones. . Eliminates headphone cables but never tried it with powered speakers for monitoring live playing. time for another experiment! The Bluetooth is still kind of nice-can listen to Casios/midis from a distance, interesting to hear how the Privia's outputs sound in different environments-just not the bathroom! They hate that!!     :hitt: