Video Files on Forum ×

Very weird px560 foobar

Jokeyman123

I will try. Just out of computer curiosity-any idea why that will work, and the other slots don't? Sounds like a memory addressing issue. As when windows OS tries to put code in a memory address that it isn't supposed to, you get the "blue screen of death" and is usually due to a programmer's error in writing code. 

Assigning edited kits to those memory slots works as expected, no warbling sound when recording. A rather strange bug, please let me know what causes this and if it can be corrected. I also notice a strange delay sometimes when I am editing a tone or hex layer, usually doesn't crash completely, but seems like it is going to. If I wait a minute or two, it will work again but it does happen.

• 1 month later...

Yes, "improving certain operation" is always helpful.............or maybe better...certainly improving operations.....I'd prefer to stay out of the operating room myself.:roll:But I am grateful this bug is going to be fixed, a real plus for what I do with programming. Shows Casio does pay attention to us, very nice.

• 3 weeks later...

Got it, I'll post results and if I find any other improvements in this firmware not described here. Great! Has anyone else done this yet? I have never had trouble with PX560 firmware updating, but still a little nervous after pooching my XW-P1 which fortunately Casio was very generous in restoring for no charge, saved my bacon there! Off I go....

OK so far-I don't see any additional features in any of the settings or menus. Every function I tested is working correctly so far-but haven't gone into great depth-into editing DSPs, tones or hex layers yet-my rhythm and tone edits and multitrack recordings are working as before. I still haven't checked the "bug" discovered with my edited drumkits used for recordings that this firmware updates designed to fix-that will be next on the list.

Just another followup on this-the ability to edit a drumkit on the PX560 is a very handy bit of work. Pitches for individual drum tones can be shifted quite alot to make custom kits which is what I've been doing. More depth with bass drums for example-or creating the opposite-high pitched toms, changing ride and crash cymbal's apparent sizes-very nice and pretty easy to accomplish. Pick a kit as a tone from the main menu, click edit, save and done. Makes a big difference even shifting a snare up or down a bit, and the samples are good-allow for pretty long pitch changes without sounding distorted or unrealistic. another programming trick-shifting the pitch to extremes on an individual drum sound can make it sound like something entirely different for special effects, a trick I learned on my SY77 years back. some of the weirdest sounds are created on the SY77 like this-I think I can do the same with the PX560 now that tis bug has been fixed. Nice!

• Like 3

Great to hear the firmware update fixed the issue.  I haven't had a chance to update mine yet but hope to do so soon.  Here is the reply I received from Casio America that goes beyond the "Improving certain operation" description.  It confirms what we expected.  Thanks to Mike and the Casio team for being so responsive.

--------------------
We improved the drum sounds in the ver.1.16.
There was unnatural shaking of this sound when it's recorded as MIDI.
--------------------

That's what started all this in the first place, I know I'm the troublemaker! the drum sounds-the actual samples are the same as the factory ones, but now I can edit away, save the edited set and use this to record with the midi recorder without the "unnatural shaking".  and so far so good.