Video Files on Forum ×

CT-X Rhythm Editor Tutorial

Chandler Holloway

My 4-part Rhythm Editor tutorial series just got uploaded on the main Casio Music Gear YouTube channel. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you might have and I’ll do my best to answer.

Part 1 - Rhythm Controller Overview

Part 2 - Modifying A Preset Rhythm

Part 3 - Recording An Original User Rhythm

Part 4 - Advanced Rhythm Parameters

Let me know what you’d like me to tackle for my next video project, and thanks for watching!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Hi @Chandler Holloway I just watched your 4-videos series and I find it quite impressive. Actually you could point out that Part 1 Rhythm Controller is also pertaining to the CT-X709/800.

Since you're asking which tutorials we would like to watch in further videos, I'd like very much:

1) a video tutorial on how to make a rhythm from scratch on computer for the CT-X809/700. I read your PDF guide but it would be much more accessible to us mere mortals with a video tutorial.

2) A video showing how to use the MIDI recorder of the CT-X800/700. I think that when digging deeper into it, this little sequencer is quite capable. The fact that you can loop the sequence makes it a very useful tool to compose sophisticated backing tracks, which enables you to solo with both hands over the backing track instead of having to pay attention to the chords.

3) A tutorial about the music presets. There are some gems in there such as no 139 Canon, no 92 Blues, no 137 II-V-I etc., which enable you to improvise on a set chord progression.

Just a few ideas,

Thanks for all you're putting into this and keep up the good work,

Vinciane

Edited by vbdx66
Typo
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm starting to want to create my own rhythms. I've read the pdf tutorial, downloaded the right tools. But I just have a small technical question to be able to move forward. Can someone tell me the maximum size of each part?

Intro1, Intro 2, etc... : max measures ?

Do I have to name them "intro 1, intro 2" or do I put the name I want?

Thank you in advance...

PS: for your information, I'm trying to put a first style demo before the end of the week 😉

1 hour ago, BigFoot69 said:

Hello,

I'm starting to want to create my own rhythms. I've read the pdf tutorial, downloaded the right tools. But I just have a small technical question to be able to move forward. Can someone tell me the maximum size of each part?

Intro1, Intro 2, etc... : max measures ?

Thank you in advance...

PS: for your information, I'm trying to put a first style demo before the end of the week 😉

'Measure settings value'

User manual EN-79

6 hours ago, BigFoot69 said:

Thank you in advance...

Naming them is not necessary. An unlabeled marker functions the exact same as a labeled one. I think using the IDES software to break up your elements is a little bit easier than placing markers for first timers, you may want to try that if you're having a hard time

Intros and endings can be up to 16 measures long.

As I've found out, real-time pan modifications either are not saved within .ac7 files (due to format or converter limitations) or are not supported by hardware. Anyone have experience on that?  I found that changing volume/expression/reverb/etc. in the middle of the style pattern works fine, but changing pan or instrument voice - does not.

22 hours ago, Just Alex said:

As I've found out, real-time pan modifications either are not saved within .ac7 files (due to format or converter limitations) or are not supported by hardware. Anyone have experience on that?  I found that changing volume/expression/reverb/etc. in the middle of the style pattern works fine, but changing pan or instrument voice - does not.

Panning is not supported in the middle of a pattern with the CT-X models as far as I'm aware. You can define a pan setting at the beginning of each variation (per pattern), but I'd imagine real time panning is not supported as a preventative measure to avoid interfering with preset DSP effects that might make us of automatic panning or some other manipulation of the stereo field.

25 minutes ago, Just Alex said:

Thanks. So is there a master list of what supported and what not?

Also I tried to add patch change event into middle of the chording track -it also gets ignored.

Patch changes will be ignored mid-pattern, as the tones defined in the Rhythm section of the Mixer will always take priority. Defining a new patch at the beginning of each element writes a new tone value to the Rhythm Mixer setting, and then PC/bank select values are ignored throughout the rest of the element until it either loops back around or switches to a new element.

I don't know of a master list, but we know for sure that Program change/bank select and panning are ignored. I would imagine that pitch bend range is also ignored, as this parameter is defined in the global rhythm settings in the Rhythm Editor. Otherwise, you'll have to try them out for yourself. Please report back with what you find, I'd be happy to compile this information and add it to my earlier Rhythm Creation reference manual.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

255 is an arbitrary limit imposed by the number of bytes used to store the value for tempo in the .AC7 Rhythm file format, in this case the maximum value of an unsigned 8-bit byte (see the "In Computing" section here for more info). 255 being the hard upper cap for a particular value is actually pretty common in older computer games and programs where memory space was extremely scarce; for example, the maximum number of coins you can get in Mario 64 is 255, and Pac-Man's infinitely generated levels will end after level 255, resulting in the famous glitched out kill screen.

It might seem odd that a keyboard released in 2018 would be hard capped by such an archaic memory saving choice, but I imagine this is because the .AC7 format that modern Casio boards currently use for Rhythms is designed to be fully backwards compatible with the older .CKF format that was introduced decades ago. Memory space and keeping files as small as possible was still a necessary sacrifice for keyboards in the early to mid 90s or so, so the 8-bit byte limit probably made more sense.

In the end, it's pretty uncommon for a composition to absolutely require a bpm of over 255. Even super energetic EDM genres like breakbeat or jungle rarely go beyond 200. If you need a smaller tick resolution for programming fast quantized drum hits or something, you could always double the time signature prior to recording instead of cranking up the tempo (i.e. use 8/8 instead of 4/4).

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Chandler Holloway said:

255 is an arbitrary limit imposed by the number of bytes used to store the value for tempo in the .AC7 Rhythm file format, in this case the maximum value of an unsigned 8-bit byte (see the "In Computing" section here for more info). 255 being the hard upper cap for a particular value is actually pretty common in older computer games and programs where memory space was extremely scarce; for example, the maximum number of coins you can get in Mario 64 is 255, and Pac-Man's infinitely generated levels will end after level 255, resulting in the famous glitched out kill screen.

It might seem odd that a keyboard released in 2018 would be hard capped by such an archaic memory saving choice, but I imagine this is because the .AC7 format that modern Casio boards currently use for Rhythms is designed to be fully backwards compatible with the older .CKF format that was introduced decades ago. Memory space and keeping files as small as possible was still a necessary sacrifice for keyboards in the early to mid 90s or so, so the 8-bit byte limit probably made more sense.

In the end, it's pretty uncommon for a composition to absolutely require a bpm of over 255. Even super energetic EDM genres like breakbeat or jungle rarely go beyond 200. If you need a smaller tick resolution for programming fast quantized drum hits or something, you could always double the time signature prior to recording instead of cranking up the tempo (i.e. use 8/8 instead of 4/4).

Hello Chandler. Thanks for the reply. Now the 255 tempo limit makes sense to me. Regarding changing time signature this is exactly what i am doing for quantizing the rhythm. However I still need to increase the tempo. For a Persian 6/8 rhythm I set the measure to 4 and bit rate to 12 and I increase the tempo. Some times i need double this resolution. In this case i end up with 255 bpm being very slow. I assume 24 bit option would solve the issue which is unavailable in rhythm menu. 

• 10 months later...
On 12/17/2019 at 9:11 PM, Chandler Holloway said:

My 4-part Rhythm Editor tutorial series just got uploaded on the main Casio Music Gear YouTube channel. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you might have and I’ll do my best to answer.

Let me know what you’d like me to tackle for my next video project, and thanks for watching!

Hello 

Does this work with Korg PA serries ? I mean for style editing 

Edited by r_1159

• 2 months later...
On 12/17/2019 at 7:11 PM, Chandler Holloway said:

Hi Chandler, idea for next project: What about creating deep bass sounds. I use my CTX in our Band also for effects (phrase loops) inbetween our songs, in the breaks... I know ctx is generaly no bass generator but it would be of intrest how far (deep) you can go. I tryed out one or two sounds with compressor and Enhancer and thought i drove it to the limit of the internal speakers(leveled the volume down), test on my pa is planned and must be amazing.... Think the use in this category is undermentioned and of course special interest but is also a part of the CTX benefits and versataility,  so how do you think? 😎😉

• 10 months later...

I have a CT-X 3000 and when I'm programming the drum sequence I want by playing it on the keyboard, half of the notes I hit aren't there after it plays through. So I hit the keys again ( I can hear them making the sound, and it plays back sometimes) But even after hitting the drum sounds I want multiple times, a lot of the notes are missing for some reason. It is not the quantization, I tried turning it off. It almost seems as if the sounds are crapping out the speakers.

Edited by Trebendle

If you have quantize turned off,  I can't explain why the notes are missing.  However, the Quantize function is very useful, and when I first started to try creating rhythms, I found out that the manual description is misleading as to what the Quantize settings are.  Choosing the wrong value causes weird behavior, frustration, and notes either missing or in the wrong place.   See the following post for more info.  However, this only applies if selecting a Quantize setting other than "Off", so I don't know if this will help.